Art: Landscape

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Landscape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Landscape

I don't do many landscapes so I thought I'd try one using the oil pastels in Painter. Should the reflection be a little darker towards the bottom or less saturated overall? Can't decide.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what would benefit the image most is some more contrast. Try to flip the image to gray scale and check it out. I think if you got some more depth through higher contrast you'd give it some more pop.

D

My sketchbooks. Don't be nice. Be honest.

My main Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually like the thumbnail version better, because in the full image you can see there is not much actual detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, the reflections should be slightly darker (which includes the sky reflection..),and reveal the color of the water (either refraction of the river bottom, if the water is clear, or the color of the particles floating in the water, if the water is muddy) in the dark areas of the reflections, instead of being the exact same colors.
    I like the palette.
    I like the simplicity of the piece but I think the boring brushstrokes and the lack of attention in the drawing of your shapes (like the tree trunk/branches) kinda kills it.
    I don't mean there should be more detail, just more control and accuracy in the level of detail you're shooting for.

Another thing, it seems like you just flipped the top part to do the reflection (well actually the brushstrokes seem different in some places, but the distances look the same), and that isn't realistic unless your eye is exactly on the surface of the water. The objects should be mirrored from the virtual point where they would cross the water if the water plane was infinite, and not from the edge of the water.
    Hope it makes sense

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid start to the piece definately but the killer here is the lack of contrast which has been stated. Also I would focus on adding some more overall visual interest and refined details to really give the eye a place to flow.

Horny Lion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits. I'll bump up the contrast and deal with the reflection. It may look like I just flipped the image, but I did actually repaint it all. And M@ - that does make sense, thanks.

The image is for an feature story so I have to keep in mind to leave room for text. I also have to add some people doing various things, but I wanted to post this version here - in case I muck it up.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by m@. View Post
    yes, the reflections should be slightly darker (which includes the sky reflection..),and reveal the color of the water (either refraction of the river bottom, if the water is clear, or the color of the particles floating in the water, if the water is muddy) in the dark areas of the reflections, instead of being the exact same colors.
    I like the palette.
    I like the simplicity of the piece but I think the boring brushstrokes and the lack of attention in the drawing of your shapes (like the tree trunk/branches) kinda kills it.
    I don't mean there should be more detail, just more control and accuracy in the level of detail you're shooting for.

Another thing, it seems like you just flipped the top part to do the reflection (well actually the brushstrokes seem different in some places, but the distances look the same), and that isn't realistic unless your eye is exactly on the surface of the water. The objects should be mirrored from the virtual point where they would cross the water if the water plane was infinite, and not from the edge of the water. Hope it makes sense
    Actually i see somethin's rong and i think i know what u mean but i'd be thankful if u could develop the "theory part" on water reflection a little more. I'm not sure i know this "law".

Btw nice pic stevethomas.

Last edited by SM; May 2nd, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.