New Here, be Brutally honest (Art Dump)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This kind of style has never been much to my taste, so I might not be the fairest judge, but the anatomy seems too exaggerated.

But that's probably the point, in which case just ignore this, since I've never been one for that type of thing. If that was the goal you've done very well in capturing the comic-book look to the characters.

Thanks
    Why are they hugging?

Robocop is not robotic enough, you missed a fun opportunity.

I agree with anaglyph about the anatomy, but I am also am not into cartoon-y comic style.

Its REALLY saturated, but that goes along with the cartoon-y look and that may be what you wanted.

Lets see more of your original characters or at least a spin on the classic ones. I can't even think of how many times I've seen superman depicted cartoon like. Why not your take on him?

You are definitely talented and have some decent works. Looks like the start of a good sketchbook to me, if you haven't you should go over the the sketchbook forum and make one.

Thanks
    I think your attention to detail is good, but you need to draw more from life/photos. It looks like you learned a lot of what you know from comic books, and while comics are a lot of fun, they are bad places to learn. No matter how good the artist, don't learn to draw or paint from looking at other artists work, go to the source. In particular your anatomy is off in places, and you seem unsure about hands, either hiding them or balling them up into fists.

Also, I can see you are using "comic book" paper. Don't bother, they are mostly a gimmick. No paper is good for all artists, and very few use pre printed pages. Any good quality paper or illustration board that suits you and is the right size will work. Odds are you can get paper that is both cheaper and higher quality. Look for bristol board. It comes in various weights and surfaces. I used to love 140 lb. hot press (which is smooth). Any good art store will have it, and you should be able to buy it by the sheet (which are big either 22x30 or 30x40 I forget which).

I think you have a lot of talent, you just need to take the next step, which is draw from life.

Thanks
    I think your style is fine for what you've chosen to draw but if you have an interest in comics, you're going to have to move away from the hero-posed 'poster pieces' as comics are more often than not a storytelling medium and not just splash pages (as some might think).

Are you interested in a career in comics or are these just personal pieces on your way to something else?

Thanks
    Sagegod: I've found that most "comic/cartoon" style art doesn't get much love here. But it's easy to see why, when you compare a classic Steve Ditko piece to a Jason Chan piece, it's like having the terminator taking on the Smurfs. Don't take K-Bot or Anaglyph's comments as a negative, just use them as encouragement to push your art into new directions. BTW, and don't take it the wrong way, but how old are you? It would give us a better understanding of where you are in your Art Education. Also, what are you looking to get out of this site and with your career?

As for your work, your pencils are very good, but a lot of photo reference would take you a long way. I agree with Dweller, put together your own characters and try to stay away from Copyrighted characters that are plastered everywhere. Push yourself to be creative, and original. I said your pencils are good, but your colors need a lot of work. Even for Comic standards, you need to work on your values. If you want Comic Reference for excellent use of color, check out Ultimates 3 by Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad. Joe's art is amazing as always, and the colors are kickass. Saturated but in a way that fuels the art rather than look blinding and garish.

K-Bot: Why are they hugging? Because they realized that fighting wasn't solving anything, so they made up and decided to rent a flat together. Aw.

Thanks

comments

Thank you for the pro's and con's
    These pieces are a little older and most of what you guys have mentioned, I have also noticed. The anatomy on the warrior concept is little off due to the compositioning and me trying to squeeze all of the legs in.

I posted my most recent pieces from oldest to newest ...
    Someone mention my coloring ability on a few off the pieces this piece isn't complete yet but I think it shows growth in aspects mentioned.

In the newest piece I'm working on visual character...

I know there are lot of questions above... however I'd first, like your opinion on my newest work.

Thank you all!

Last edited by SageGod; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks
    I would suggest breaking down the iconic shapes you have for things, like the facial features. Hulk and the dragon have the same shaped eye. That sort of triangular Silvestri-Liefeld-Jim Lee eye thing. I would suggest looking for reference and drawing what an eye really looks like. This goes for the whole face of the Hulk, I've seen that nose and those gritted teeth before.

Look for reference before you draw. Find out what a 'roided up angry guys really looks like. Look up what a lizard's eye really looks like. Develop your own short-hand for these feature instead of using these Marvel guy's. Who says they're more of an authority than you are anyway?

Thanks
    That is a great suggestion...

Thanks
    alright, i am brand new here myself (hell don't even have anything posted yet, hopefully i can get to that after finals) I agree with everyone saying that you should draw from life. The crit that i have for you is on the dragon, i feel that the perspective on the right hind leg is a little off, it is grounded and casts a shadow that i can see under the front legs which i feel are meant to be grounded as well. Due to this that portion of the image does not make visual sense to me. Other than this one thing i believe the image looks good for the point it is at right now.

Thanks

Colors

Any suggestions on rendering....?

Thanks
    There's a thing about colour you should pay some attention to in all your coloured works. You seem to have a relatively good hold of shades in black and white, considering the style you've chosen so far, but in all your coloured pictures, the shades in a single object only vary within lighter and darker shades of a single tone of a single color, which doesn't really seem to work.

Start thinking more actively about light, both the colour of it (and the shadows), and the source it comes from. In most the images it's hard to find a lightsource, and when one is apparent it doesn't seem to concern everything. But I can't say it's wrong to stick to one color per object, but I want to remind you of the fact it's not the only way to do things, and concerning realism, it's obviously not the right one.

I agree with many of the above comments concerning your comic-book style of drawing. But remember it's not exactly avoidable to learn from other artists' ways to do things, yet it's dangerous to be a slave to them - Don't get caught in other people's mannerism. You have potential, so take everything you can that can enrich your art, from all sources. Examine the work of other artists, and look at the real world with the eyes of an artist, but not with the eyes of a camera.

Realism shouldn't be a limiting feature to the quality of your art, but it is a valuable mean of making artworks believable and easy to relate to. Find your own way, try different things, and (as many have said) draw from life.

And when I tell you to try different things, I mean you should try both new subjects, and when you feel open for it, drastically different things concerning colour, detail, interpretiveness, and everything that crosses your mind. It is valuable to identify pleasant and unpleasant techniques not only by seeing them, but by trying them yourself.

Finally, I must say I like your pictures overall, even though the style is not a thing I'm too familiar with. But especially in black and white, you do handle it well.

- Valerian

Last edited by Valerian; May 7th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Same as your previous posted work, the new ones show you can render the details well, but your general forms are still off, your anatomy is lacking in places (but good in others).

A few specifics: Too many clenched fists again! Magneto's body under the cloak doesn't seem thought through enough. I don't think his upper body matches the position of his lower body for example. The Hulk's shoulders are off. The far shoulder isn't connected to the body correctly, and the leading shoulder just doesn't agree with the position of the rest of the torso. The dragon, the shoulder muscles are just not right, and neither are the fore arm muscles. The hands/paws are simplified to the point where they don't make sense. It's clear you didn't think through or know how to handle the back legs.

I've got to restate my earlier critique of you need to get away from learning from comics and get some solid real understanding under your belt.

Thanks
    I prefer your pencil render to your color, personally. you should def work on that!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.