Thanks

Angry It's 3:30 in morning! Why are you knocking on my door?!

To understand this story, you have to know that I live in a fairly cozy apartment complex and that my husband and I are friends with the new guy, who recently got a position as Senior Maintenance. He (the new guy) is always popular where he works. Everybody loves him and asks him all the questions. I guess he's just that cool or something. Anyway, let's say his name is Dave. (It isn't, but that's more a digression really.)

Right, so I'm laying in my bed in the wee hours of the morning sleeping and I wake when I think I hear the doorbell ringing. I listen for as long as I can muster before drifting off to sleep thinking, "Surely if it was important, someone would have called first. It's too late for random people to be hanging on the bell." I knew this because when my husband came to bed he mentioned something about it being around two or so. So I go back to sleep.

Sometime later I wake up thinking I'm hearing the doorbell again. "Okay," I think. "This can't just be my imagination." So I get up, get my robe on, shuffle to the door, and look out the peephole. There's no one there.

Thinking that whoever it was must be standing just out of sight of the peephole, I wait for another ring. There is none. I go and look out the window. No one's there.

By this time I'm frustrated with myself for chasing after illusory doorbell-ringers. I have a hard time getting to sleep at night because of chronic pain, so I know it's going to take a long time to drift back off. So I take some pain medication and sit on the couch for a while looking at pictures until I feel like I can fall back asleep. And lo and behold, there comes a knock at the door a short time later. It's 3:30 AM, or thereabouts. I'm in my robe already, so I get up and answer it.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Is Dave there?"

. . .

Literally all I could do was just gape at the guy. A thousand things I could have said, done, asked, whatever, and all I could do was gape at him. No "Why are you looking for him?". No "Who the hell are you?". No "Didn't your mother beat you enough as a child? Don't go knocking on peoples' doors at three in the morning!". There's an emergency maintenance number for a reason. Is it so bad to expect people to use it?

"No," I finally said, once my tongue untied. "Dave isn't here."

"Are you sure?"

Who the hell asks that? What could possibly be going through their mind? "Oh, I know it's 3:30 in the morning, but you've GOT to be hiding him in there somewhere"? Your princess is in another fucking castle. QUIT RINGING MY DOORBELL.

But finally I got over my righteous indignation and said, "Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay," he says, and merrily saunters off.

All I could do was shut the door and go sit back down. I was that dumbfounded.

And of course it never occurred to me not to answer my door at 3:30 in the morning. =/ But nothing bad came of it, and I told Dave this morning that if anyone comes up to him saying they were looking for him last night to rip the guy's motherfucking skull out for me, because I certainly wasn't coherent enough to do so myself.
    Last edited by Ohaeri; April 30th, 2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Let's do this.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ohaeri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Drugs.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    Drugs.
    That's certainly a possibility, yes. He didn't seem high, except for the fact that he was ringing a complete stranger's doorbell at 3:30 in the morning looking for a maintenance man.
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    great story
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    lol yeah i bet that guy was on drugs! strange enough that the doorbell rang and no one was there and then someone finally appears at the door thinking "Dave" is in their room at that time of night...

hmm maybe they was looking for a little sumthin sumthin...lol

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    great story
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Rem View Post
    hmm maybe they was looking for a little sumthin sumthin...lol
    Oh good lord. XD I hope not!
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Haha that was weird.... As I was reading this the comedian on comedy central said "Hey Where's Dave? Is Dave there?"
    lol
    You'll have to tell us if "dave" ripped his skull out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanficbug View Post
    That's certainly a possibility, yes. He didn't seem high, except for the fact that he was ringing a complete stranger's doorbell at 3:30 in the morning looking for a maintenance man.
    Well it he wasn't hopped up on something maybe that explains why he was there; he needed his fix badly and Dave is his supplier.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticKnight View Post
    Haha that was weird.... As I was reading this the comedian on comedy central said "Hey Where's Dave? Is Dave there?"
    lol
    You'll have to tell us if "dave" ripped his skull out.
    I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    Well it he wasn't hopped up on something maybe that explains why he was there; he needed his fix badly and Dave is his supplier.
    Just from knowing Dave . . . I really doubt it.
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    You're also making the assumption that the door knocker was sane.

As I grow older I realize people seem to do a lot of inconsiderate things without reason, other then personal gratification.
    The mark of sanity is usually the ability to predict outcome and being aware without causing disruption and kaos.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    haha
    i had something similar happen to me about a year ago

my ankle was broken at the time and i was in a walking boot. at night i would take it off and let my foot air out and kind of rotate it in circles to stretch and whatnot.
    well, it was about 3am, i was checking my email one last time before bed when i heard what sounded like a small pebble hitting my window. (i lived on a 2nd floor apartment)
    i sat there for a second thinking "wtf, was that a rock?"
    i waited... nothing happened.
    so i said fuck it, time for bed. so i started shutting down my machine when i heard it again, but this time louder, like it was a bigger rock.
    i was like what the fuck, grabbed my bat (short aluminum bat thats spraypainted black), hopped over to my front door, opened it, and this is where things got funny:
    in that split second that the door opened up before i could hop through, i heard someone out on the street yell out
    "is Laquisha there?"
    a split second later i had hopped out, bat in hand and saw a black male, about 40years old at the gate downstairs, and a beat up white car in the middle of the street
    once the guy saw me his eyes turned into saucers
    he was terrified!
    he yelled out OH SHIT and took off running towards the car so fast that he stumbled, meanwhile, his friends in the car must have had the same thought cause they floored it and took off leaving him in the middle of the street crawling backwards sayin oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck
    so i called out "whoa whoa whoa, what the hell is going on here"
    he stopped crawling away.. squinted... then he said:
    "DAMN NIGGA, i thought you had a rifle!!!"

hahhahahahahahha
    that shit cracked me up
    his buddies must have thought it was a gun too cause they ditched his ass.
    hahaa
    apparently the people that used to live in that apartment sold drugs
    a few months later i had a drunk dude just walk in on night. i had my front door open to let in the cool night air, and this drunk guy just walks in.
    i had an airsoft pistol on the coffee table, so i casually reached over and pointed it at him, he raised his hands and backed out of the room.
    haha
    never saw him again.

im glad i moved away from there.
    that shit was getting annoying.

Thanks
    Ah screw it. It's drugs.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    If it was my room...

...there would be a note taped to the door. "Dear Dave. Would you kindly have someone clean up the big stain in front of my door? Thank you."
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    You're also making the assumption that the door knocker was sane.

As I grow older I realize people seem to do a lot of inconsiderate things without reason, other then personal gratification.
    The mark of sanity is usually the ability to predict outcome and being aware without causing disruption and kaos.
    Hmm . . . true.

Quote Originally Posted by complete2 View Post
    im glad i moved away from there.
    that shit was getting annoying.
    Holy crap . . . no kidding. I would've moved after that last one especially . . . although the bit about the airsoft gun is priceless. I must admit, I'd like to someday scare a drunk guy out of my house with a toy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    If it was my room...

...there would be a note taped to the door. "Dear Dave. Would you kindly have someone clean up the big stain in front of my door? Thank you."
    hahahaha
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Update: had a quick chat with one of the owners of the property just now and she mentioned that she has people knock on her door after-hours too (she lives on the property). She says she's also had her neighbors complain when she's been out of town that people knock on their doors asking for her at odd hours . . .

We helped Dave and his girlfriend move in and have all been hanging out a lot (D&D, what can I say? ), so that's a possible interpretation.
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    perhaps they too want to stumble down the dark gullet of a cave, the Hounds of Doom baying in the distance at the mouth of the chasm, the wind whistling in their ears as it careers down the shaft, with naught but a dwindling candle to guide their way along the broken ground and further into the deep abyss in search of adventure *rolls D20*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stoph View Post
    perhaps they too want to stumble down the dark gullet of a cave, the Hounds of Doom baying in the distance at the mouth of the chasm, the wind whistling in their ears as it careers down the shaft, with naught but a dwindling candle to guide their way along the broken ground and further into the deep abyss in search of adventure *rolls D20*
    Pssshhh, everybody knows you don't take a candle. You take a torch.

. . . So what'd you roll?
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts

Thanks
    The time kinda reminded me of the song 'Bring Me The Horizon - For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only'

It's 3:18, mouth tastes like the corpse of every pregnant teen,
    The minutes are hours, the hours are days,
    I feel infected by your presence, you speak in tounges,
    I smell the lies dancing on your blackened lungs,

I whispered in her ear:
    Fear me dear, for I am Death,
    I'll take your hope, your dreams, your love,
    Till there's nothing left

Full Lyrics.

Seemed kinda fitting aswell, you might wanna place a baseball bat next to your door xD.
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    Seemed kinda fitting aswell, you might wanna place a baseball bat next to your door xD.
    No need. I have a wakizashi that I got my husband for Christmas. Next time someone rings my bell at an ungodly hour I'll gut 'em like a fish.

Or perhaps I should pull a stunt like in the video. I think that would discourage them!
    Let's do this.

Thanks
    Did the man look like this by chance?
    "You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"

Thanks