Risd

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Risd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Risd

Hello,

I really want to go to Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) but my grades are not that great but I have good portfolio but everyone is keep on telling me that RISD is supper hard to get into and everything.

Is that true?

I mean if you have good skill but no great grades is it possible?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The only people who can really answer that question are the folks in the RISD admissions office.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The only people who can really answer that question are the folks in the RISD admissions office.
    yeah true but I just wanted to know from people who go to these kind of collages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's your GPA like?
    You should also make sure to spend a lot of time on the take home test drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gools View Post
    Hello,

I really want to go to Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) but my grades are not that great but I have good portfolio but everyone is keep on telling me that RISD is supper hard to get into and everything.

Is that true?

I mean if you have good skill but no great grades is it possible?

Thank you!
    RISD accepts thirteen percent of applicants, which is probably the lowest for a large U.S. art school. I'm not sure, but I get the impression that they do care more about grades than many other schools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've had my weighted GPA fluctuate above and below 3.0, so for me, I had below average grades for the classes I was taking (bad grades in honors classes..oh well). 27 ACT. I finished my application last minute... and I got on the top of their waitlist. I'm pretty involved at school, and I think my recs were good, but I wouldn't doubt that my portfolio was the strongest part of my application. They even said somewhere that an extraordinary portfolio can outweigh *most* grades.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything is possible. The best thing you can do for yourself is just take a chance and apply!

I received acceptance to RISD w/scholarship this week, and my current GPA is below 3.0. On the other hand, MICA gave me a great portfolio review, but turned me down on my GPA. I had been very confident about MICA, and applying to RISD had been a very 'last-minute' decision... one of those "I have to try it and see what happens" things.

I agree with other advice around here, that you really can't base an expectation of acceptance on anyone else's experience. Put your best effort into it and see what happens. If anything, you'll have the peace of mind knowing that you tried.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    RISD accepts thirteen percent of applicants, which is probably the lowest for a large U.S. art school. I'm not sure, but I get the impression that they do care more about grades than many other schools.
    27%
    The Cooper Union has the lowest acceptance rate (I think around 6%...maybe more).

But you should check out this facebook group.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5579218134
    It can be quite helpful during the admissions process.

Anyway, from what I've seen...you can get into RISD with bad grades. But you'd probably need an awesome portfolio, and better grades in the classes that count more to RISD (e.g. art, art history, english, etc.). I don't think RISD would be as concerned if you had Cs in Math+Sciences, but Bs in History+English etc.

Personally I'd try to increase those grades + standardized test scores (because it greatly increases your chance of admission + scholarship), and still work on that portfolio. But ultimately, I think that every accepted student has a different factor that helps them get in to the school (e.g. awesome portfolio, great letters of reccomendation, a well written personal statement, good grades, etc.)

Good luck with applying there though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know RISD is concerned with good academics, they want to make sure you have a good work ethic. (The woman in admissions said: "we can't just send anyone to go take classes at Brown".) Grades are not everything though, they look for a positive trend in grades. I had a friend who got in last year who got some C's her freshman and sophomore year, and then got her act together and started getting mostly B's. Her portfolio was good, and she had an upward trend in grades and got in no problem. Try your best to get grades up! I know the average SAT score of accepted students is about 600 per section.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.