Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts

I am the happiest man alive

This probably isn't the best place to put this, but I need to put it somewhere. Too dang excited not to.

Just got my notification from RISD. I've been accepted as a transfer student into Illustration... with a hefty scholarship. I got in last year, but couldn't go because I didn't get any financial aid (thanks in part to my own stupidity), but this year I got enough that I can actually go without graduating with obscene debt.

Can't... stop... grinning...

So this isn't so terribly self-centered: anyone else receive notifications?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    no no, i think in the situation you are allowed to grin like a silly bugger

I got into Uni in Falmouth which has one of the best reputations in the uk, and im still stoked
    Last edited by Mon Chat; April 28th, 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: i dont need reasons.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mon Chat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    congrats! risd is ridiculously stingy when it comes to aid - glad you were handed a nice, fat scholarship :]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to serhc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations! I haven't sent in my portfolio yet to the CA.org Atelier yet, I still have another few months to get everything ready. When I do submit it though I think I'll be sleepless until I get some type of notification. The pressure's going to kill me.

If I do get an acceptance notification, I'd be extremely happy as well. It's good that you're grinning about it.
    "Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post

I've been accepted as a transfer student into Illustration... with a hefty scholarship. I got in last year, but couldn't go because I didn't get any financial aid (thanks in part to my own stupidity), but this year I got enough that I can actually go without graduating with obscene debt.
    Congratulations, that's the way to do it!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Big congrats to you, welcome to our club! You will have to take a class in the Film/Animation department to do so, but TAKE SHANTH ENJETI'S CHARACTER DESIGN CLASS. His class changed the course of my career in my senior year and he's easily one of my favorite teachers I've ever had.

Also be sure to eat some fried dough at WaterFire for me, be at the Illustration office by 6 am to reserve your studio cubicle space for next year and take at least one of Nick Janschigg's digital art courses.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I can still hardly believe this is really happening. Lots and lots of paperwork and forms to still fill out (loans and all that to figure out), but I'm actually going to make it!

Steph: Shanth Enjeti, check. Nick Janschigg, check. And which cubicles are the best?

Also, if anyone has any good advice for RISD, living in Providence, or art school in general, I'm all ears. This will actually be my first time moving out of my parent's house. Scary.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Congrtulations!

You have nothing to feel apologetic for. Get drunk, paint yourself blue and stand on your roof singing "Stairway to Heaven" in Latvian to celebrate...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not to sound corny, but Providence is a cool place to be.

If you like New York style pizza, you should check out Nice Slice, on Thayer Street. There's also this sorta whole in the wall sushi place nearby [on the same side of the street if I remember correctly], and a place that makes really good burritos on the other side. Not sure if you're into the whole piercing scene but there's a really cool shop called Rockstar, the two dudes that run it are really nice people.

If you like going to shows, the AS220's a really chill place. A lot of diverse acts perform there, and they've got a nice cafe area too, with a bar and taqueria to get even more burritos There's a poetry slam generally once a week [on Thursdays if I remember correctly] and figure drawing sessions on Tuesday nights, starting at 6PM. And right afterwards this jazz group plays that are fairly good. The staff are pretty chill too. I really miss hanging out there, some of the best times were had with friends at shows. Also, they have had a big block party type festival for the last 2 years [I think?] called AS220fest and it's always a good time. Lots of amazing local bands, local shops selling their wares, good snacks, and tons of interesting people.

Providence is a pretty amazing place in general, cheesy, but it holds a special place in my heart. Hope you enjoy it, and congrats on getting accepted to RISD [for the 2nd time.]

pee es - If I think of anything else i'll let you know.

EDIT: I just remembered, there's a shop on Thayer called Spectrum India, lots of cool knick knacks and cool clothes for women. A nice place to take a date too, you might even get some free bracelets. The guy that runs the shop is one of the nicest people i've ever met.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ilaekae: If you say so.

Zord: Not cheesy at all. I appreciate all the recommendations. It's good to know the local food and social places before even going there. Thanks!

Also, if anyone's interested you can go check out the portfolio I submitted to RISD.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    And which cubicles are the best?
    4th floor studio, turn right to face the windows, second one in. That was my little cubicle and the year before me, Paolo Rivera's Though if you are more into oils, try for the 5th floor as the ceilings are much higher and there is better ventilation.

Cheers to Zord for the recommendations, I'll add a few to the list. Paragon on Thayer that's really good and relatively cheap restaurant-style burgers and Meeting St Cafe has amazingly huge sandwiches and cookies the size of dinner plates. Spike's Junkyard Dogs, best hot dogs I've ever tasted and they bake their buns on-site, there's Geoff's Sandwiches, also on Thayer, is a little pricey but has really eclectic sandwiches (Albuquerque Turkey was my fave, turkey with cream cheese, chili, sprouts and lettuce). If the impulse to pierce something strikes you, head to RockStar and ask for Jeff. These guys are famous in their trade and the best I've been to.

Safety concerns - as a woman, I took more care than maybe most guys did to scope out the safest places to be. All I can really say is DO NOT walk down Benefit St after dark if you don't have to. Most of the people I know who were mugged (some at gun point) were on Benefit and my roomie was pursued by a guy one night who was thankfully dumb enough to be unzipping his pants while he was running after her, allowing her more time to escape.

I think that covers it...
    Last edited by Steph Laberis; April 29th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...well worth repeating...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Scolarships. These things still exist?

Congratulations Noah Bradley!

Thanks
    I just remembered a couple of more things worth mentioning...

the Avon theater [also on Thayer] is really cool. They show a lot of independent films from all over, and sometimes older movies you wouldn't normally see in theater again [Taxi Driver, anyone?] The decor is pretty sweet too, it's got a nice old school vibe to it.

And then across the street from the Avon is this really good Indian restaurant. The combination of the theater/restaurant is perfect for dates if you don't mind spending a little bit of money

I also second what Steph mentioned about safety. There are some shady people in the area, although I never got mugged or anything. Haha, not to scare you or anything. Just watch yo'self and you should be fine.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Major grats! I was accepted as transfer w/scholarship, too!

Thanks
    Congratulations!!!

I got into RISD as an Illustration transfer, too! I didn't get any scholarship money, but I'm still going to attend. I'm so excited!! My portfolio, or well some of it, is here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?p=1747551 .

Your portfolio is fantastic, wow. Awesome work!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Emerson
    - deviantart - sketchbook -

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuartyi View Post
    Congratulations! I haven't sent in my portfolio yet to the CA.org Atelier yet, I still have another few months to get everything ready. When I do submit it though I think I'll be sleepless until I get some type of notification. The pressure's going to kill me.

If I do get an acceptance notification, I'd be extremely happy as well. It's good that you're grinning about it.

you can submit any time you are ready. there is at least one who is graduating from the program within the next couple months and spots are open as people move on.

good luck.

Thanks
    PinkPrincess: At RISD? Maybe I'll see you there, then. What was your major?

magicnmyth: Sweet! Congratulations! I think I can understand a bit about how excited you are. Are you going to be up there for the summer semester? Hopefully I'll see you then.

And thanks for the recommendations y'all. I'm sure they're going to come in handy.

Thanks
    Awesome! I'm going to be a RISD freshman next year. I'll probably go into illustration or painting. Hope to see you there!

Thanks
    Congratulations, Wisteria! We all should start a CA RISD group. Or at least meet each other. I'm the tall guy that looks something like my avatar, only happier.

Anyone else going to be there?

Thanks
    Congrats!
    For a boy in Norway; what school RISD?
    Please take the time to give me some constructive criticism in my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks! I got waived out of the summer program, probably because Massart's (the school I'm transferring from) foundation year is so similar to RISD's. I can't wait for September, though!! See you guys then! Oh, and I'm all for a CA RISD group. That would be awesome.

Oh, and hey, I don't know if you guys have a facebook, but I started a group for transfers on there: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8670982&ref=ts . Not many people in it yet, but I'm hoping that more transfers will find it eventually
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Emerson
    - deviantart - sketchbook -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilbruks View Post
    Congrats!
    For a boy in Norway; what school RISD?
    Road Island School of Design.