Advice needed

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was this a self portrait?
    A portrait of a friend?
    From a photograph?

Why did you draw white chalk on black paper?
    Is this an experimental piece?
    Do you want a critique on head proportions? or Technique?

If you want a critique, then give us more info about the drawing.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry should have put some info here
    It's from a picture ,really just want people to have a gander at it and tell me if i could improve it at all.
    Unsure about some of the parts of the face mainly the eye area and the lips and teeth.
    Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick69 View Post
    Sorry should have put some info here
    It's from a picture ,really just want people to have a gander at it and tell me if i could improve it at all.
    You can always improve.

That said, I think you are experimenting with interesting tools and techniques (white on black bg) while you still aught to be pouring yourself into working on nailing the fundamentals using materials and techniques that are more easy to control and understand.

As for the piece itself; the ear is too small and too high, the eyes are set too high, The teath come too far forewards (lips have thickness, you know?), the eyebrow doesn't come foreward enough, and the rest feels kind of funky but I won't be sure about how to fix it intill you take care of the problems that I already brought up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can always improve.
    You will find this is true no matter how good you get.
    All i can say is to keep practicing, I really hate sound mean but the best thing to improve is to practice more. Look at tutorials and learn different techniques through copying master works.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelionature For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, because you've used a fairly chunky white piece of chalk on black paper, certain areas have suffered. The black line left for the cheek and lips, doesnt work, hence why the lips and teeth look weird. The technique can be a good one, but at this stage, theres no way for you to deal with any midtones.
    I'd say what you could've done is started off only dealing with the really strong highlights; down the nose, the chin, forehead, eyebrow area and singular strands of hair. If you can break down the light, mid and dark areas, it may be easier for you to depict the smaller feature of the face.

I also think you may have used the white too much, on the cheeks, the neck and in the hair - especially there, the lines are far too chunky. I think nice thin lines following the shape of the hair back would help and for you to not be so heavy handed with the chalk.

If you try this technique again, try on bigger paper, so you draw from your elbow a lot more, and make sure you have some thin pieces of chalk too, and an eraser to rub out the dark areas; I think the back of the head could be darker, parts in the neck, and when drawing eyes, dont try and make any outlines. Break the shapes in the face down to light and dark, and block in the prominent areas so the eye almost makes it own shape. (god, I hope I'm making sense)

One technique I absolutley love, is filling a white piece of A1 paper in charcoal, and working into the drawing, and pulling out the highlights with a putty rubber. (but this is only used when life drawing)

keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice i could already see the problems with some of the points you mentioned but didn't see the others.
    I quite like the feel of this piece so i think i will start again and try to make some of the changes you brought up.
    It was drawn from a magazine picture when are life model didn't turn up for college so the lighting on it has just come from my head really.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.