pirate girl - looking for critique

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I wanna use critique center to push this start to finish, so i figured id post line art before painting and progress through the painting stages here too. I'm really looking to better myself so please leave some input and I'll try to revise what I can as I move forward.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey xxEnder,

It looks like a beginning for a pretty cute picture. The design of the hat and the sword are interesting, and I definitely think the rest of her can use some more of that; the pants are cute but pretty bland, the top is simple, and I'm sure the cuffs can be upgraded. This is all up to you, of course.

Her pose is what bothers me most here. It's not anatomically incorrect, it's just a little "all over the place". She's walking on tip-toe, and her upper body is leaning to the side and in no position to balance that. I'm not sure whether she's half-hanging from the flagpole or holding it proudly. I tried some sketches with different poses, maybe you can get some ideas, and I think the best advice I can give you is to try and create the pose you're looking for yourself, using a broom or whatever household flagpole you have lying around. You get the best idea of how the body's built by looking at a real body. Even if you leave the pose as it is, I think it would be much better if the legs didn't turn to the same direction; she'd have a more solid stance if the back foot turned inside a little like the knee suggests, or if the front foot pointed outwards.

And one last - seemingly small but in my opinion important - thing: the flag is cut in a way that seems random; like you reached the edge of the paper and there was no more room for it. If you consciously intended it to be cut, I think it should be more obvious, not just that small bit. And if it was an accident, just enlarging the canvas to include the rest of the fabric is a piece of cake. Also, more space in to the left would give your character more room to live in, as she's leaning to that direction and comes too close to the edge.

I'd like to see it continued!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the reply, i appreciate all your critiques

my friend had a big issue with the balance too so its being revised a bit but i dont wanna change it too much (being stubborn i know, but ill keep it in mind for future reference).

Ill think about... embellishing(?) the clothes more but i wanted a kind of simple and complex mix so maybe a bit but not too much.

this is the revision and im gonna revise it one more time from here before i start painting (fixing the legs and stuff)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her back leg looks painful, like its twisted or broken atm. Sorry anatomy is not my strong side at all...

Gundersendesign
    My Sketchbook page [B]1 2
    Mentoring my Padawans
    Conceptart.org Gallery

- :: Bring Me That Horizon :: -
    Live the life you love, love the life you live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks cute but her forehead is as wide as her waist. I know it could be due to style but...

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might want to shrink that right thigh a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i said the legs/feet will be going through the biggest revision, ill see into shrinking the head a bit maybe too, but it doesnt bother me that much, the legs though, thats a different story

anyway got to go to work now, im gonna try and finish the line art for this tonight and start painting maybe.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.