WIP Critiques

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP Critiques

Thanks

WIP Critiques

Hey, I'm working on something and was wondering if I could get some critiques. I'm playing with a few things in it, and I'm curious if I'm pushing too far or playing too much with it. So if anyone could critique it for me, that'd be great. It's in pencil now, and I'm inking it soon, but I wanted to see what people thought before I did that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's a little hard to tell, since i have to scroll up and down to compare parts, but I think that near hand is far too large. If that hand is supposed to be significantly forward, you'll need to change the angle of the arm.. and subsequently the shoulders should follow, so you'll end up with a slightly different pose. Try this pose yourself, does it work? Keeping the shoulders nearly square makes the extension of the arm like that impossible.

Try a few more thumbnails of poses (don't spend time detailing) and post 'em, I'll be checking back.

Thanks
    /agree
    you will need to dramatically foreshorten the arm leading to the hand if you want to achieve that kind of scale on the hand, consequently moving the hand upwards and changing the whole pose of the character

similar comment on the foot, the front of the foot looks more forward that the legs because of its comparitive size

Last edited by Halix; April 26th, 2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: more to add
    "A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

My SB

Thanks
    I see, thanks. I did a redone pose, from the front and the side so I could visualize it better, and see what I did wrong. (Also resized the original picture for better viewing)

I'll start fixing the original pose and see if I can make it look right. Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    On the forward hand - how the fingers are eliminates the dramatic tension that should be present of that position. Especially evident in the index finger.

I agree with having you performing that pose. I know you'll see that your fingers will not be that way (as in your sketch).

Thanks
    The rough poses are better, but with the side view, the weighting of the character would leave him falling backwards (unless the un-drawn leg is back). Even in that case, he really doesn't have any weight on that front hand. On the front view rough pose, I think you'll still need to pull the torso down and get the body leaning forward.

Though, these crits are assuming you are attempting an aggressive (crawling/creeping around) stance, is that what you're going for?

However, the anatomy still feels stretched on the arm and torso.

Thanks
    Ok, I reworked the shoulders, the foot (made it smaller) and the hand, but while I like how the fingers look now than before, I still think they could use some work...

I performed the pose, which really helped with the shoulders, but I'm still having trouble displaying the fingers properly.

Oh, and it is an aggressive stance, yes.

Thanks
    its looking good, but fix the thumb on the back hand. it looks like its pointing the wrong way.

Thanks
    Perhaps redo the other hand as well, the proportions look kind of off although you're understanding them decently well which is good, considering that the hand is one of the most complex components to draw. The foreshortening looks iffy, but mostly because there is no shading yet. Make sure you light is right, and emphasizes that hand even better. You have a good sketch, and it seems to be evolving slowly into the final product that you desire. Remember to make sure proportions are right, if something looks off at the beginning, chances are it will look wrong in the final, or later than you're able to fix.

Check out My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Here we go. I think I've gotten it to a good point. His right hand will probably have some tweaking to make it a little bigger or look better in general, but other than that I can't really see much else at the moment. And so, I turn to CA to help find what I missed.

Anything that should be changed/fixed before I go on to my inking stage?

Thanks
    I'll go ahead and post the more or less 'finished' version now. I'll add a background and the like soon, but this is pretty much an update. I colored it in Photoshop, trying to get better at that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.