Steampunk Mecha Art Contest Deadline Approaching

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Steampunk Mecha Art Contest Deadline Approaching

I wish I'd found this forum sooner! Talk about talented artists...

In any event, my steampunk site, BuySteampunk.com has teamed up with Jamie Spencer, who's LEGO steampunk mecha models were previously featured on BoingBoing, Brass Goggles and other big sites, to offer a contest for all the talented artists out there.

So what can you win and how can you win it? Simple. Submit your artistic rendition (can be any medium really but must meet submission guidelines) of one of his steampunk mecha creations or both of them together (plenty of source photos on the site for reference).

Runner-up Prize: Jamie will select his favorite submission once the deadline (4/30!) has been reached and that person will receive their very own custom-painted LEGO steampunk minifig.

Grand Prize: Once submissions are closed, I'll post all the entries on the site for readers to vote on and the winner as selected by the readers will receive their very own Kreigerhund custom LEGO mecha model.

Pretty simple right? So far we only have 2 submissions, both of which were done by people under 10 and while I applaud their efforts, they are certainly not of the skill level that most of you are at. This means an easy chance for you all to win some really cool steampunk stuff.

But remember, the submission deadline is a week away as submissions close on 4/30!

You can find the full contest guidelines for this steampunk contest below along with reference photos which you can use in your artwork if you're photoshopping it for example.
    http://www.buysteampunk.com/steampun...eampunk-mecha/

There's really no financial incentive for this contest, Jamie and I are just big fans of LEGO and steampunk and thought it would be cool to try to get lots of artwork of his fantastic creations.

If you have any questions, please post them to this forum or email me at haltingpoint@gmail.com.

Apologies in advance if this isn't the appropriate forum location for this, couldn't find one for contests and I want as many people to enter as possible.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok wait... so even I can join in!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

MECHA, MECHA, AWAYYYYY...............!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, even you can join

BUT, you need to promise me you'll submit something before the deadline. I saw what kind of talented stuff came out of the steampunk penguin professor contest and thats the kind of great work I'm looking for!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lego, steampunk and mechs?

I'm gonna start right now.

Does the human character need to be included?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post

That's a great question. No, the human character does NOT need to be included (although it can be). Since you can only submit one entry per person, you have a choice of either using the Kreigerhund (the prize mecha) or the Dardenbahst (its big brother) as your model OR you can include both in the same piece.

Hope that clarifies, please post any other questions in this thread.

Also, just a reminder to please make sure you read the submission guidelines I linked to above. I received one submission already that I cannot accept due to the fact that it looks like a sketch someone made on paper that they then took a low-quality digital photo of (you can see past the edges of the paper in the photo). While I'd love to accept it, unfortunately I need 8.5x11" hires files.

Jamie, the LEGO modeler (and a senior graphic designer), and myself both want the ability to print these out in nice quality, but more importantly, I want to give users the option to download the hires versions as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still planning on submitting? Deadline is Wednesday.

Also, if we don't have at least 7 entries by then, we're likely going to extend the deadline a week. Not sure why this contest hasn't generated more interest...great prizes...

Anybody know of any opportunities to get this contest more exposure on ConceptArt.org beyond this forum post? Is there a formal channel for contests like this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltingpoint View Post
    Still planning on submitting? Deadline is Wednesday.
    No, sorry lol.

I forgot, in my excitement, the amount of school work I still have to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, sorry lol.

I forgot, in my excitement, the amount of school work I still have to do.
    Oh come now, surely you can do both? Well, you may be in luck...we haven't received any additional entries so far and the quality of the two that we currently have isn't exactly to ConceptArt.org standards...To that end, if I don't receive any more entries by tomorrow, I'll likely be extending the deadline for one week.

If at that time I still don't have 7 or so entries, I'll unfortunately probably need to call off the contest.

But thats a whole week away, so you and anybody else who wasn't able to get around to it just yet is still able to enter! Remember, you don't need to slave over this for hours (although you can). We just need entries!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.