Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
When I first tried working with SAI I was like "Woooooooow AWESOME!" but on the long go I feel like I'm too limited in my actions.
It would be too great if someone would make a program that works as smooth as sai, is as easy to use as Open Canvas and allows us to use all the things we like about Painter and Photoshop :/
But Sai indeed is awesome if you have to line something
░▒▓█▀▄ Please critique my SKETCHBOOK ▄▀█▓▒░
And yeah SAI's limitedness is becoming intolerable, hopefully SAI v2 is on the verge.
This thing is awesome, it's like Painter but without all the things I never use anyway.
Wow a very cool program. I tried this a while back and wasn't able to get the pressure to work and forgot about it. I was able to get it to work tonight though. Think I'll pick this little gem up. I love how it handles color when painting. I think my Painter program is going to start gathering dust.
I know this thread is a bit old, but if some of you use any intuos tablets with paint tool SAI there are some different problems that somewhat always affect tablet pressure sensitivity.
For some it's that you have had 2 tablets installed. Uninstall one.
SAI does not work with Bamboo, there is a fix, which I wont post the link because someone before me already has.
Other tablets sometimes do not also work with SAI, check around for an individual fix for your tablet brand and model.
sometimes pressure sensitivity stops working even if you did not have problems before. Often a fix is to use the Wacom tablet utility and delete -all- user preferences.
I would dearly love to try it, but I think the link is broken..
Downloaded a trial for Corel Painter 8 and was just left confused. A simple program like Sai will make my days!
SAI probably would be a fairly decent choice for simple organic objects - I downloaded it and tried it, but to my disappointment it didn't nearly have the options that photoshop offered me, and the robot that I tried to draw did not really end out good looking all. Certainly has a unique way of using it's brushes, but not a program I'd choose to use indefinitely.
Necro necro necro...
Personally I really like Paint Tool SAI, I just bought it the other day. Blending colours seems to me like the perfect medium between Photoshop's "not at all" and Painter's "super mushy".
Haven't been using it for long though so we'll see how it goes.
I use it, but I do feel jealous when people start doing stuff in photoshop that I can't do.
Photoshop brushes are suburbly slow on my computer. I could use a new one..
I felt like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
[. My Deviantart... ]
SAI is a fabulous application tool. Like some I agree it's a "Mini Painter", only more cut down and programmed to be lightweight on system resources, small on memory and cpu performance, but kept dynamic with its simple brushes.
The major thing I enjoy about SAI compared to Painter is its capability of easy blending/bleeding with its main brush. Hues are more fluid to blend together in a single stroke, mixing from one hue to the next on the canvas surface with a selected colour. Painter (in my experience) feels much more stiff in regards of blending/bleeding the hues with strokes alone. I can smoothen a paitning in SAI with brush strokes alone and not need to blend it with its BLUR. I don't know if that's my own system or tablet or that really is how Painter works.
There is much you can do in SAI that you can in Photoshop and Painter, but again SAI is taking a few of these basic elements from these applications and taking them into a more simple, fundamental layout.
I use SAI and Painter for my works, back n forth!
Does anyone know if SAI lets you do comic book lettering? I know Corel draw does, but SAI is more in my financial range.
Does anyone know if you can do comic book lettering with Paint tool SAI? I know you can do lettering with Paint.net, but I want to know if SAI has that feature before I download it or buy it.
No there's no Text Tool in SAI, I wonder what those two empty boxes in the tools panel were for but I doubt we'll ever know since SAI development seems to be dead for quite some time. Maybe he has hopes a big company will buy SAI or something.
that really would be nice. the cross-platform MyPaint holds similar potential but SAI is just on a whole other professional level in performance of design. :/ it's odd though, I wonder how many copies of SAI he sold. If he's really just one guy, with such an app, and given the number of japanese wacom users, shouldn't he be.. well, well funded to continue dev one would think...
I am checking randomly the Paint Tool Sai site and dear lord, this time I can see an update!! Only a Japanese update but at least the software is alive.
(Ver.1.2.0-Beta.3, 2012-08-18, 2.4M)
I don't know about you but I was waiting for this moment for years!
Here the Google translation from the Japanese page
· Fixed an issue that will be funny and size to maximize the window when the primary display is smaller than the sub display
· Fixed an issue where some dialogs in multi-display appears in the center of the entire desktop
- Fixed startup problems abend environment it tablet driver is not installed
- Fixed to convert the pixel / inch resolution of the integer value of the meter reading the bitmap and PNG files
· Fixed a bug (actually become 71.98 and save at 72ppi) calculation problem resolution when saving PNG bitmap and
· Fixed an issue where the position is shifted to maximize the window when the taskbar is on the far left or at the top
· Fixed an issue where an error occurs in the conversion between RGB and VHSV / HSV
· Fixed a problem that does not return to the original tool and there is no image to be deformed when you start the image deformation in a shortcut key
· Fixed a problem that will rewrite the path that is linked to when you rename a bookmark entry
· Fixed an issue where the pen tip may become unresponsive if you assign a shortcut key to a side switch
· Fixed a problem mouse cursor displayed on the guide image deformation is not the correct orientation
(Remake almost all) revamped file viewer
- (Such as the management of the libraries, but not including) the official support of Windows 7 in a library
- Integration and bookmarks folder tree
- Support for keyboard navigation in the file list and folder tree
- So that you do not accidentally change the extension, change the specifications you can not edit the extension
- Change it to something that matches the namespace of the shell from the file system path to display the location of the file
(-> "Desktop / Foo / My Pictures / mypic.sai":: "\ Users \ Foo \ My Pictures \ mypic.sai C" 1 example)
2 cases (: "C: \ myfolder \ mypic.sai" -> "Local Drive (C / myfolder / mypic.sai")
(Certainty is unknown at this time because they are a Treat) eliminate the non-delay-time rendering Aero in Windows 7
· Fixed a bug in the Miscellaneous happens when you maximize the window in a multi-display environment
· Fixed an issue with incorrect undo is terminated prematurely when the amount of history data retention is greater than 4GB
- Change it to something easy to understand display on the memory usage
• Integrated and sfl.dll sai.exe
Other minor adjustments and
oh thank you!! if you download the lower binary link, the update binary you'll retain the english language of the program while updating.
good to see he's working again! now maybe he'll jump on the horse of finishing the vector graphics features soon pepper pepper salt salt!