Art schools in the Netherlands

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Art schools in the Netherlands

Hi,

I'm 18 years old and in my last year of high school now, and I'm not sure where to go..
    I have visit a few art schools here (Rietveld,KABK,WDKA), but I was very disappointed
    with them because they only teach abstract. I want to learn classical techniques, anatomy,
    colours etc.. (I'm a big fan of Rembrandt ) So far I found 2 academies that teach them:
    the 'Klassieke academie' (Groningen) and the 'Wackers academie' (Amsterdam). I already
    signed in for the Klassieke academie but the entrance examination is very hard (only 20
    students will be admitted).
    Is there anyone who can tell me the difference between both academies?
    And are there any other options to learn classical art?
    (besides moving to Italy or something )
    Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    dhchamp is offline wondering why i didnt born rich in a place where its always nice, warm and sunny
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Eev,

I sort of had that problem too. But there is just little choice in NL. I am more aiming at illustration to do the more story telling and realistic images, but it all depends on what you want to do. I think if you want to stay in NL you would probably have to learn alot of things yourself outside of the normal academys or try to incorperate what you want to learn into the assignement you get from school, but that can get pretty hard sometimes i guess.
    So no real advice from me. sorry.
    Im actually thinking of going to america to study something like concept art but thats still more than a year away.
    and also. be prepared to get a hard time getting in. i dont know that many people that got in right after highschool. and i already have been in the admission runs of a couple of schools.

i really hope you find what your looking for and good luck.
    and dont be sad if the first year doesnt work out right away. its not a sprint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking for years too, and as far as I found, these are the only Dutch schools that (try to) teach painting:

Wackers Academie in Amsterdam
    Klassieke Academie in Groningen

They both seem pretty mediocre and too expensive to me, so I'll just have to teach myself, or go to an atelier abroad someday.

Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replies.
    I know that the most people who study at the klassieke academie are older than me and are more experienced.
    So I don't think I'll get through this year, but it's always good to know what I can work on.

@Coen
    There are some great academies in Florence, but they're 10 times more expensive than here .
    Why do you think the klassieke academie is mediocre?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't just look at the tuition: see if it's worth the long-term value of the education. In this respect, a program at an art school you can afford may give you less than, say, a basic figure drawing course around the corner. Look into the future: what do you want to be in 7 years? Work your way back and try to make it into the present...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dhchamp, if you are interested in concept art, do take a look at our website. ar We are located in Toronto, we are affordable and we offer high quality instruction and a well thought out curriculum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't they teach concept art at Utrecht?
    www.hku.nl

Help me improve my drawing skills by commenting my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you mean Game Art?

http://www.hku.nl/web/Studiekeuze/Ga...ie/GameArt.htm

I dont know the course from experience, since it is just starting

I'm graduating from Design for Virtual Theatre and Games at the moment on the HKU. And although that had some conceptart aspects in it, the course right now is changed. When I started we where focussing alot on using theatre rules for storytelling, alot of the theory I learned from that is something I can easily adapt to concept art. Right now they seem to focus alot more on adapting modern technology to theatre.

I think there is one major thing to keep in mind when you are searching for an academy in the Netherlands. They dont focus. Instead of focussed learning like an atelier you pick up alot of different things, wich isnt a bad thing perse. But you have to realize that you will have to work on your own, and do your own studies in an atelier fashion to reach a proffesional level technically.

For myself, although I'm not an awesome technical artist, and I cant compete with most of the junior artists in the industry on a technical level yet. I can however easily compete when it comes to developping character, storytelling and worldbuilding etc. I wouldnt have been able to do that without my education in theatre storytelling.

So just for a closing statement I guess. You need to learn two things. You need to learn how to concept and how to tell your stories. And you need to learn how to paint and draw to transfer those ideas to your audience. There is not one school or course, private or funded, that will teach you both at the same time. So no matter what you choose, you need to work on the other thing in your free time.

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are three big universities I know that teach (game)art.

Grafisch Lyceum Utrecht
    HKU (Hoge School voor Kunsten Utrecht)
    NHTV (international school, located in Breda)

I hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eev View Post
    Hi,

I'm 18 years old and in my last year of high school now, and I'm not sure where to go..
    I have visit a few art schools here (Rietveld,KABK,WDKA), but I was very disappointed
    with them because they only teach abstract. I want to learn classical techniques, anatomy,
    colours etc.. (I'm a big fan of Rembrandt ) So far I found 2 academies that teach them:
    the 'Klassieke academie' (Groningen) and the 'Wackers academie' (Amsterdam). I already
    signed in for the Klassieke academie but the entrance examination is very hard (only 20
    students will be admitted).
    Is there anyone who can tell me the difference between both academies?
    And are there any other options to learn classical art?
    (besides moving to Italy or something )
    Thanks.

Hello ! I am glad that you have cleared up my mind for Rietveld Academie, I was thinking to attend there, though i haven't visited the school, since I live in Tokyo.

Jan Van Eyck is a very good school. (quite internationally renown). will try to apply for their school. ^--^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eev, I've been to the Wackers Academie a couple of times but I've never visited the Klassieke Academie so I'm not sure about that one. It's just that it doesn't convince me as a quality school by looking at their website.

Although I can't afford it right now, I've been looking at these ateliers lately:

Studio Escalier
    Atelier Stockholm

Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm gonna apply to WDKA in 2011. Is it really hard to get in? How much are the tuition/ fees? I just can't find that anywhere. Maybe a dutch-speaking person could help me?

I tried HKU illustration last year but I didn't get in. I'll probably try again this year, but I'm definitely more interested in WDKA.

Any other information is useful too. Any tips for the portfolio etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lumisade, Im currently attending the first year of illustration at the WDKA.
    It's really not that hard to get in.
    To get in, you'll need a somewhat big (around 25 pieces) portfolio with lots of variety on both subject matter and applied techniques. Variety is key here. And just throw in something strange.
    I can't exactly say how well they teach the traditional (classical, if you will) foundations of art yet. So far it's rather mediocre, which I think is a shame.
    If annyone has questions about the school ill do my best to answer them.

Last edited by Icophant; November 1st, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't go to school in The Netherlands if you want to learn classical techniques... There's no school that teaches it on a high level here anymore.

I took the introduction course at the WdKA years ago, and it made me decide NOT to apply there after all.

Last edited by Norkagar; January 26th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm studying at AKV St. Joost in Breda at the moment. And I'm graduating in animation this school year. I did have 2 years of life drawing classes, and you learned alot about anatomy and different pianting techiniques.

But this is a study were you have to do a lot of things yourself. You will get the basics, but if you want to learn a particular technique you have to start for yourself. The teachers will help with it though.

This is not a very technical school but a school were you work on your own way to get better. It's more personal.

In the first year at our school you get all kind of different classes. In this year you get a chance to learn alot of different kind of arts before you start specializing.

After that you can chose some directions.

Anyway here is the site: You should check out the portfolio's
    http://www.stjoost.nl/nl/

Round and Round the Raget Rascle Ran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone!

Me and my boyfriend are looking for a university in Europe which we will be able to attend starting next year.

We've been searching a lot and could not come up with much, almost nothing at all actually.
    I want to study Photography (Bachelor's degree) and he wants to continue his graphic design studies by attending a Master's Graphic Design programme.
    The countries we would like to study at are Holland, Belgium, Italy, Czech Republic, England (althrough we're open to other suggestions as well!).
    The university has to teach both courses in English.

We'd be really thankful if anyone can share some info on the subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Norkagar View Post
    I took the introduction course at the WdKA years ago, and it made me decide NOT to apply there after all.
    May I ask why? *curious*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumisade View Post
    May I ask why? *curious*
    Sorry for the late answer, didn't see that anyone had posted in here again.

Basically it's a modern art school. It's more about concepts than learning technique and fundamentals. Everything was loose, free, creative, abstract etc. Even in the illustration department. It just wasn't what I was looking for.

Last edited by Norkagar; March 14th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nickydraws View Post
    Sorry for the late answer, didn't see that anyone had posted in here again.

Basically it's a modern art school. It's more about concepts than learning technique and fundamentals. Everything was loose, free, creative, abstract etc. Even in the illustration department. It just wasn't what I was looking for.
    This might be a bit ummmm broad question but...could you like...tell me ALL about WdKA? haha, just playing, but I truly am interested in everything about that school. I sent my application over a week ago and still haven't heard anything..Personally, I like what you said about everything being loose,free,creative. In my current school all we do is focus on foundations and new techniques and the basic stuff. I always wanna work on different concepts and push the creative side to the fullest but my teachers literally tell me not to. That's why I actually applied straight to the 2nd year, I called the office and I was told that it is an option to do that.

Getting in this school is extremely important for me. I am stressing about it very much. I really hope my portfolio is nice enough for them.

How's Rotterdam then? How were the other students? Anything else I should keep in mind during this very nerve-wracking admission process?

Thank you heel veel for answering =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I can't really tell you all that much to be honest. :/

I only took the Introductory course and went to their Open House years ago. I missed the application deadline for the coming school year so I signed up for that course to prepare for the next one. But I ended up not applying after all.

The course was a waste of time. There wasn't really any sort of instruction. Just a bunch of kids drawing, then we had group crits. There were some art lectures and graduates of different majors gave presentations. Some field trips. At the final part of the course you experienced what it would be like in class for your desired major. I chose Illustration. The first class we were told to design a t-shirt, I think, and allowed to use the materials and computers.

What I learned about the school and their programs didn't appeal to me. I wanted to learn how to draw first before I started exploring the creative side of it.

I can't comment too much on the other students either. I didn't really find anyone with the same interests as mine. Most of the people were high school girls interested in the Fashion major. Though there was one other girl who did semi-realistic pencil drawings, but the teacher sat down with her and told her something like: "That's nice, but you can't be doing realism for four years. This is not the place for that. Try being more loose and creative and [insert other artsy words here]."

Rotterdam is a modern city, I suppose, so it makes sense that their academy focuses on Modern Art and Design. Many 'glass boxes' for buildings. Not my taste...

That entire experience put me off from the school, but I don't know what it's like actually studying there full-time. Although I can't imagine it being very good... The work that I saw at the Open House was very weak and strange... Even from the 3rd year students.

But, this is all just my personal experience and opinion. Sorry if it all sounds very negative, but I guess we have different ideas about art. Looking at what you wrote and what you're looking for, I think this school would be a better fit for you than for me. Best of luck with the application.

Last edited by Norkagar; March 15th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Norkagar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nickydraws View Post
    Hmm, I can't really tell you all that much to be honest. :/

I only took the Introductory course and went to their Open House years ago. I missed the application deadline for the coming school year so I signed up for that course to prepare for the next one. But I ended up not applying after all.

The course was a waste of time. There wasn't really any sort of instruction. Just a bunch of kids drawing, then we had group crits. There were some art lectures and graduates of different majors gave presentations. Some field trips. At the final part of the course you experienced what it would be like in class for your desired major. I chose Illustration. The first class we were told to design a t-shirt, I think, and allowed to use the materials and computers.

What I learned about the school and their programs didn't appeal to me. I wanted to learn how to draw first before I started exploring the creative side of it.

I can't comment too much on the other students either. I didn't really find anyone with the same interests as mine. Most of the people were high school girls interested in the Fashion major. Though there was one other girl who did semi-realistic pencil drawings, but the teacher sat down with her and told her something like: "That's nice, but you can't be doing realism for four years. This is not the place for that. Try being more loose and creative and [insert other artsy words here]."

Rotterdam is a modern city, I suppose, so it makes sense that their academy focuses on Modern Art and Design. Many 'glass boxes' for buildings. Not my taste...

That entire experience put me off from the school, but I don't know what it's like actually studying there full-time. Although I can't imagine it being very good... The work that I saw at the Open House was very weak and strange... Even from the 3rd year students.

But, this is all just my personal experience and opinion. Sorry if it all sounds very negative, but I guess we have different ideas about art. Looking at what you wrote and what you're looking for, I think this school would be a better fit for you than for me. Best of luck with the application.
    Thank you for you honest opinion ! I know that I do need to work on my technique and basic skills A LOT, and I really hope that I can recieve lots of teaching on that. It's just that in my current school ALL we do is foundations, foundations, foundations and I'm really looking forward to working more loosely and paying attention to the creative side. You said that even the 3rd year students had some very weak and strange work...I can't argue because I have not seen it myself. I guess I just have to make sure that my work will not be like that when I'm in my 3rd year

Today when I got home a big envelope was waiting for me....I got the "general entrance examination assignment" and the "course related assignments". I got one month time to work on those and I'm so excited! =)

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any news on the Dutch art schools? I'm looking into getting into one, but am also looking at Belgium and Germany (
    since the tuition fees there are a lot lower, and the education is much more based on traditional schooling, as far as I can tell).

I already studied Arts and Culture, and have a masters degree in Art policy and preservation.
    Currently I'm working as a curator at a local contemporary art collection, trying to combine making music, art and a professional job (which is hard...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, well, I got no clue about the school itself, just heard that it was there, and its way more focused on industrial design rather than art, but you could still see if its more like what you're looking for.

try googeling: "Industrial Design Academy Eindhoven"

not sure what the exact site is.

Cheers.

Click here for my Daily Sketch Blog!
    -Every art takes practice.

Members who have read this thread: 3