Art: Last Man Standing 3 - ROUND 2 / Matches 1-18 - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Each piece displayed another version of AWsome. Impossible to pick a favorite; however, Hurricane and entroid's pieces made my heart all aflutter with joy.

Great round everyone. And good luck to the judges. Holy crap.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    win.

congrats to everyone. this just rocks

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish Cicinimo was my daddy.

stevekim I like your monster zit. or STD-ridden dork. Whatever it is. I'm never sure what to make of your images exactly. But I like that. Looks like 'outbreak' to me.

Jason Chan that is hilarious. Awesome.

bluefooted beautiful folktale-ish illustration as always. Is this an existing story or a made up one? Nice background idea of those knots with all the branches growing out on the trees, reinforces theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god I just got destroyed!
    Jason Chan... that is un-freakin-believably-awesome! my favorite of the entire batch. Cicinimo, yours was a close second. I'm going to go lock myself in the bathroom and cry now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing round! Good job all

ETHAX -- Hope you advance! I dig your concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Fantastic round. They should call this contest "Last Man Stunning."

Stand-outs to me were Flaptraps, Viag, Faxtar (nice and subtle), Cicinimo (are you sure you didn't study under Alma-Tadema?). Jason Chan (made me laugh, and cry...), Ethax, Prostrate Sunrise, Bluefooted, and Steak-Tron (Should be the cover of a sixties sc-fi paperback.)

As has been mentioned before, I wouldn't want to have to judge Match 16. All winners.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah... Match 16 rules! Great work, dudes.

Lots of great entries. Unfortunately, I can only see about 1/2 to 3/4 of each because of my crappy slow computer. I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow before I can comment on the entries.

Sweet!

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH man, Oh man, oh man!

D: Looking at all these amazing entries, well it makes me sad that events made it impossible to make it...but man oh man I wish I did....or wait! MAYBE it's better this way..away from all the awesome and the possibility of being embarrassed!

Great job once again, doing all this Cody! Your lack of social life in exchange of art and events never ceases to amaze me, it truly gives me something to aspire to! ;p nah seriously, great work!

SERIOUSLY some amazing bad ass entries this round!
    I guess I love too many of them to pick and choose..out of the top of my head, entroid, tom (idiot apathy) , flaptraps , hurricane, fedezz, baron impossible, Chan-man, Fvallejo, Manu , bluefooted, steak-tron-on-on and Wassermelon!

Great job all of you! D: may we the puss outs have better luck next time lol

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vallejo - loved your piece for round 1 and you dont disappoint for round 2- Its great how you can command the 2 very different styles and make it seem effortless. Big fan of your work :-) looking forward to your next piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    Stevekim, that is wonderful. You wouldn't by chance have a highres version? I'd love for that to fill my desktop. My personal favourite of the bunch.
    Thanks. Here's a hires copy as requested, 2560px wide. http://www.stevekim.net/forum/galler..._derek_big.jpg

16. The Following User Says Thank You to steve kim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very well done, everybody, though I'm more than a bit down over the fact that 16(?) people didn't come through...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Holy Moly this thread is too damm much!
    Amazing! My brain is overload!

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jesus christ jason chan you crazy ass motherfucker thats the greatest thing ive ever seen holy lordy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great stuff, guys! Lots of great pieces this round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks flipmcgee. I'm not expecting to advance but this was a great experience for me.

I don't know which is my favorite. Even zombie apocalypse was pulled off really well; Jason Chan knocked my socks off so hard with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As always a great pleasure to see those different entries suddenky appear one day in one thread. Such a great impact. I love LMS, I hope it will be an eternal feature of this site. Thank to all artists and to the witty leader of the contest.
    I looked with a great interest at all different versions of the theme. Thanks again to all participated and I would select some I like the most.
    Match 2 is the most interesting for me in the whole round, the most interesting to judge IMO and to get involved emotionally. I love all four entries.

Hurri Charming and obnoxious little bald creatures. Apparently they are no good gnome eaters, such a unfortunate turn of events. I thought at first maybe they have some urgent business to the trapped gnome, but then I saw their teeth deep in the skin of each other. They are gonnna eat him, that's sad.
    Compostion is good, story has a charm, colors and speed of the storytelling is engaging. The only crits from me will be those sharp brim lights which I find a bit too simple solution to how to show light distribution. I would love something more delicate. Too many sharp outlines and too many focal points. I can't help to think it could be done with a less effects and more atmosphere. Overall, the choice of the story and execution shows a good nature of creator .

vyle
    I love your entry. I like the unfinished feeling of it although it might create some clash of the style a bit IMO. But nevertheless, the feeling of fast approaching catastrophe is very strong. I participate the desperation of the main character, I feel fear and panic looking at it.
    I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the orange light and figure somehow feel like a savior, some hope. I admire how you created this fast moving objects and non stoppable consequence of following events. Looks like it is happening now. Maybe less polished center of the image is especially guilty in creating this feeling.

yAdam One of my most favorite images.
    The first thing I noticed was the beauty of the landscape and those woody branches or maybe it is some sort of washed rocky ceiling. It on its own pleased me, some warm feeling, I don't know why, but they are done with love.
    And the picture has even more than that. I loved those many orange lights scattered from the above, it transfers a magic feeling to me. I especially like the sly, squinted eye of the octupus looking at me. It is humouros. The story feels like some kind of prank.
    No serious critique, I love everything, maybe the human figures look a bit too stylized comparing to the rest of the pictures, but they add to this humorous impression from the image as well IMO.

MarkWinters As Travolta said : "I dig propaganda". Image is posted in small size but it intimidates me. Those four riders do look like last judgment.
    I think you didn't even need those dead bodies on streets. The four riders on empty street would look even more impressive I think.

fedezz This image has charm. The story of discovery of weightless elephant is funny, but I especially appreciate the nostalgic feeling it created in me... about times I never experienced in real life.
    But it is just small things I saw in some old books which were published 20 years before I was born, and the same slightly faded colors with something very domestic in them. More of it, this Turkish cap on the elephant, which is not in use in our days makes me remember something, some events... this is all very sweet. It softly gives orders to my mind to try hard to remove those barriers on its way and find something hiding on the very depth of my memory. That's how your image makes me feel.

Baron Impossible As always your images look like phantoms for me, like heavy dream loaded with strange, engaging and spooky information. If I saw the illustration like this being a child in some book, I would have forgot all my daily chores and sat on the floor near my bookshelves trying to solve the story puzzle, terrified, revolted and addicted.

Sept13 You used minimum means to tell your story, but I like it, I was charmed with a gesture of the giant especially. The composition is not the best, though IMO, especially the fact that there is not path for eyesto follow from one character to another. I simply had to stop looking at one of them and jump to next one.

Aly Not the story about upsetting ugly pimple on the beautiful face of this hell creature attracts me, but the story behind the character herself: who is she? at what unusual event she was going. Her strange, lavish taste attracts me. I like the atmosphere the most, the feeling from colors and symbols in this picutre. They create a certain personality for me: complex, untrustworthy, very intellegent, cruel, snaky, but bright and enticing as well. That's a sensual feeling most of all, not humorous for me.
    There is something heavy about the personality of your character for me. Heavy and graceful in the same time.
    Maybe those whimsical shoes created this feeling, and dull color of old gold, a lot of gold everywhere, and heavy, mature colors.

Grendel Grack I like your entry for the delicacy and beauty of gentle transition of colors. There is a story in it, but colors and gentleness have the biggest impact and kind of make the rest less important for me. One of the best images IMO.

Cicinimo Beautiful execution and the story got me hooked. Did he survive or did he avenge? How badly was he treated that he decided to stop lives of those elegant, graceful creatures. Interesting story. The gas-like skirt of the woman sitting on the floor is my favorite part of the image.

I have a few more favorites, I add them later.

Last edited by sve; April 24th, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one in my book that needs a special mention is the Sept13 thingy, something very cool about it.

Will there be a official hanging of the pusses somewhere? Maybe we could post all the "the dog ate my homework" lame ass explanations next to their avatars too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man... this thing just gets better and better.

cody - you is crazy.... great job running the whole deal, much respect brother.

flaptraps, great piece. the composition is tight, and I really love them ghostly creepy people.
    Hurricane, man that is one sweet work. superb lighting and colors.
    vyle, you achieved such sense of awe in your work. and the oranges-purples are vibrant and very appealing.
    wassermelone, I love it. an interesting piece that keep surprising the eye. love that one white bird in the middle of it all.
    Kirtz, wow. that is one Aazing piece. very well done indeed...
    poshspice, damn. just...... damn. I stared at your entry drooling. seriously. one of the best executed works I`ve seen in a while. well done!
    idiotapathy, wonderful work Tom. those greens and blues are stupendous.
    jasonchan, crazy. crazy concept, crazy execution, crazy compo, crazy perspective work. one of the best pieces I`ve seen from you. sweet.....
    M.C.Barrett, ho I LIKE this one... a solid piece through and through... love the action of it (the dropping of the keys, the bursting of the coffee cup...) superb.
    bumskee, Min dude, you`re a master of color and mood. excellent brushwork as well.
    bluefooted, wonderful and elegant work... those birds are gorgeously done...
    thom, I love your piece. there`s something very appealing about the lighting and the scene as a whole.

everyone - amazing work guys. you all rock F`ing hard.

peace,
    Pat.

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; April 28th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck,mate. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all these images are fantastic, great job gang!

fav's:
    björn, vyle, viag, baron, wassermelone, posh, tom, cicinimo, jason,
    manu, barrett, spray, bumskee, prostate and steak.
    maybe you do it again chan, my top fav in this round.

congrats all!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zweiDee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurricane: Hey Bjorn, this is awesome man!
    Now I really regret not to be part of this..
    Crap..

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kan Muftić For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more piece that I missed in my inbox, apologies again for the confusion. Dirty C has entered the arena in Match 5...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vyle : tasty! nice bold colors

yAdam : VERY nice story behind it! It makes me think of Fallout (that oldschool sidescrolling adventure game)

MarkWinters : very nice! It's a very good entry!

Viag, nice and thight!

fedezz : i really like it! would love to see some more blues or greens in there though.

wassermelone : very nice! strong!

seot13 : it's awesome, made me giggle

poshspice : clean and strong as usual!

IdiotApathy : very niiice colors

cicinimo : lovely!!

jason chan : damn, It's very good!

MCBarrett : love it! i had a very similar idea in my sketchstage

minyum : very tasty colors man!

THANK YOU CODY FOR SETTING IT ALL UP!!!

Thank you all for the kind words!!! It makes my heart sing

Last edited by hurricane; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hurricane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    double post.....

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lot of favorites for me !
    But i really like hurricane , jason chan , bluefooted , steak tron , thom and cicinimo entries !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to comment on some more of my favorite entries. If I didn't write about your entry and you would like to hear some impression and critique (I will write both) about your piece please say so and I will gladly comment.

Match 11, very enjoyable match as well IMO.
    Ragnar X
    I liked your entry, it made me smile and it carries this carefree, jolly mood, some hilarious artistic hooliganism. The big bottom girl has a soul in your image and she especially gives the mood to your picture. Such a overdeveloped tomboy, rough to the degree that galloping around and showing her naked butt is not gonna stop her from brains free excitement. I feel her joy flying in the sky and swinging a big gun in the air. Really like how you drew her: huge mane of blond hair, idiotic boots, vulgar but attractive face.
    Love the crowd of the corpses who felt like chasing her.
    Crits:Texture is hardly successful to fill the empty space in the picture IMO, maybe it will be enough for other people, but for me it asks for some more objects or details. I would prefer more hierarchie in the objects, planes and characters too, you chose to emphasize everything. Debris in the air have the same importance for my attention as the main character, they all compete with each others.

GreenTopaz
    I always enjoy your images, you have such a fresh look at things, I wish you posted more. I really like that nothing so far swayed you from your own vision and your own techniques.
    I liked your entry from the first look, and the unusual view from beneath up, fresh colors, wonderful light and right values attracted me the most. And sweetness of the humor.
    I especially enjoyed looking at how you painted the stripy paint of the main devil and the children like faces of giggling green creatures.
    Values in the paints laid down just right, very enjoyable to look and stripes show the form of leg beneath wonderfully.
    Nice feeling from the entry, humor and something very domestic, loved, personal.
    critique: I wish you put a bit more work in the image, I don't think sketchy bottom of the entry suits to the elaborated top. Id you wanted the picture becoming alive so to speak, characters sort of stepping from 2d to 32 world.... well it is not clear shown, could have used more hints I think. especially clouds , especially int eh spots where they connect with the other object could be better. I would prefer less flat, more 3dimensional clouds though. Maybe I would prefer more sharp gradient of the blue from the bottom of the page to the top, to help the motion and to be more consistent with the light in you image. Overall it is one of my favorite entries, it is just so much effortless looking true fun.

Chingwa
    Overall I like your entry, but mostly because of he face in the mirror, it tells the story well, it is hilarious looking geisha.
    But the composition doesn't look united and well thought out IMO. I think it was not a good idea to put such a great emphasize on the glowing lamp near the mirror, it is a huge distraction. The size of the reflection of the girl's head in the mirror is too big comparing to distance, it is even bigger than the person herself. The same goes to hands, too big in reflection. I would prefer that you put some more emphasize at the objects and details you want me to see and less on less important ( i would say the face of the woman and the man could have been just suggested, less definite._
    Composition too could have been better if you made it more compact and made the rhythm better as well in the picture, there are some empty spots in the picture which feel like an awkward silence in the middle of conversation.

Jason Chan
    Your piece with two children got caught in imaginative game is one of my favorite pieces from you and from the whole history of the site as well, I love this illustration. I like it when you return to your children associations and stories much more than when you draw your sexy girls. Your illustration with children has much more personal feeling and life IMO.
    So I really glad you returned to this theme again. I think you can create the whole series about little fighters with a great imagination, about fears and battles of childhood, I will never stop enjoying them. As I said they allow to look inside of your brain more and that's precious.
    I like wind and sun in the picture, that what I myself remember the most about my childhood, the sharp rays of sun, short exposition in memory. So this looks very truthful to me. I like the little boy in sweat pants and blue jacket on the top of the playground construction the most. Wind feels especially good in his figure.
    I love the agitated face of the alive boy in the center of the picture as well. I love those pressed teeth and almost monkey like grimace.
    Blue sky and clouds and spots of light is very enjoyable in the image.
    Critique:
    There is some slight distortion in the perspective I think. Mostly it is in the angle of the upper ladder above viewer's head and in the two front figures: they are not in the same plane I have some dizzy feeling when I look at both in the same time. especially the. Especially the perspective of the figures of front children is not very convincing IMO.
    Two front figures of undead children are a bit too flat as well, IMO, I would like some highlight on the black of the boy on my right to bring it a bit forward maybe. Children in the BG a bit awkward looking, especially the sticked out arm and hand ,,, but it is not a big deal.
    Overall it is fun to look at this image, one of my favorite in the competition.
    Little pale girl on my left is on of the best faces too.

fvallejo
    I like the painting and face expression and colors, but I can't catch the story in your image unfortunately. If outbreak is happening , it is happening in the characters minds and I can't reach them. Nevertheless it is very enjoyable image.

Ethax I like slightly faded, natural colors in your image and the ants motion is very vivid and sensual. I'm not very fond at composition and how you filled the space. It is too empty, stretched on the page, static and silent.
    Sky is really beautiful and climbing ants are for sure revolting.
    I think your picture would be better of you added front ground to it, some objects and overlapping shapes in general to unite the composition more.

M.C.Barrett Your image is a bit ambiguous for me in the sense that I don't detect any panic or victims in it. It seems that you caught your heroine at the moment when the ugly creatures just burst through and she didn't have time to get hysterical or scared. The dropped key and broken soda glass only tell me that it is happening against her will and she is a victim. Because of that the whole image doesn't feel like catastrophe, but more like inevitable, natural change of the roles so to speak . Logical take over. Time came and it is a different distribution of roles in the world. Thats kind of fresh look at such a huge event depicted in your image. Unexpectedly calm. there is no fighting back to this major outbreak.
    I like the sporty figure of the heroine , her cleanness and all put together feeling from her and this sudden losing of form or better say gaining another one, not commonly accepted as beautiful.

prostate sunrise I always like the mad, powerful energy in your images, and the fact that you like the orange color so much, your characters feel like impulse, like breath of hot air. It is overwhelming. All your stories are outbreak, escape of energy, it is your well recognizable feature IMO . Not controllable energy, like a wild Mongol/ tatar army intrusion.

mwillustration
    Those hands make me feel really sick. That's really scary.

steak-tron
    I like the laconic composition, minimum details, some kind of stingy with information report of the happening. It makes me feel like death of the explorers were covered by secrets and it was too many unknown gaps of information about the event. Just like in real life. It is provocative.
    I like this orange fog uniting the objects in the image. It is scary to think how they died, knowingly or not, being so sure that nothing will reach them from outside and it did anyway. If they knew they will not be able to return... it is the scariest.
    Critique... I guess I would like to see some hints how long ago it happened. I see the face being dried up under the helmet, but the rest looks brand new and untouched by time. I wish it was more indication of time in the image. Maybe I would like the machines being more dissolved in the dense air and some beginning of chaos maybe. Yep, I would like more density of the air, presence of Mars if you will.

Last edited by sve; April 24th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *speechless*

-------------
    Irene Gallo
    The Art Department (blog)
    http://igallo.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, I am at disbelief right this moment. You guys are awesome. I'm glad I don't have the job of being Judge. Another great round and thanks for doing this shit again Cody. See ya next LMS....I'll be in it for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thom, posh, Chan, Hurri, Baron, vyle, viag, lyon all dope.

Have to give you props this round to Chan. I was disappointed last round with your entry, but this round you captured me with your storytelling. Later.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beelow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, incredible stuff guys. Jason Chan, that might be my favourite picture you've ever done. Steak-tron, great work dude! Hurricane, Posh, sept13 (I have no idea how it relates to the topic, but it's a great image), GreenTopaz, Jessica (very different from your usual style, nice to see), MCBarrett, bluefooted, thom, fantastic work guys!

Ben Mauro, didn't you already post that picture a few months ago?

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

43. The Following User Says Thank You to 0kelvin For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4