I posted these on my blog last night. Tristan Elwell suggested posting them here, and when Tristan speaks......
Five Ways Not to Introduce Yourself to an Art Director:
1) Don't give me your postcard and then take it back to cross out your web address because "the work there isn't good."
2) Don't let me flip through half a portfolio and then stop me mid way to say "the rest is older work, you're probably not interested, and it's not good anyway."
3) Don't show me one, and only one, image on an iPhone. In fact, unless you know I am very familiar with your work, don't show me an iPhone portfolio at all.
4) "Hi, my name is XYZ......We're MySpace friends." Followed by silence thinking I'm going to remember you off the top of my head. Hell, I can't remember the names of people I actually meet.
5) 35mm slides!? I didn't even think you could buy slide film anymore.
Guys, you’re at ComicCon. Chances of running into an art director are, well, high. You didn't just happen to run into the ADs for every major gaming, comic, movie, and publishing companies at a neighborhood barbeque, so get your ducks in a row before making that first impression.