Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Excellent points, Jason and Steph. And everyone else. I'll be doing portfolio reviews in May so I'll be sure to incorporate a lot of this discussion into my blog before then.

IdiotApathy -- That was different -- you were hanging out with a bunch of friends sharing sketchbooks. In that case, having a quick access to a gadgety portfolio (with good work on it) was a cool thing.

By the way — it’s easy for me to say what’s wrong with a presentation from my side of the desk, but there is a reason I never became a freelancer. I’d starve to death while falling into everyone if these pitfalls.

-------------
    Irene Gallo
    The Art Department (blog)
    http://igallo.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy View Post
    Heheh loved this.
    What's particularly funny is somehow when I was showing a friend at the Seattle Workshop some of my art on my iphone it ended up in your hands afterwards.
    naw, that was actually cool.
    You had a LOT of work, and all of it was good.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration View Post
    naw, that was actually cool.
    You had a LOT of work, and all of it was good.
    Plus his wonderful hand grease was all over that screen... it's a healing agent, he has the fingers of a god.

Thanks
    This is some excellent advice guys. And while it mostly seems pretty common sense, having it in writing like this makes it easy to put on that mental checklist. I usually think of myself as fairly poised, but I know nerves get the best of me plenty of times- especially with that self-critiquing tendency. I don't think I've ever done it in front of an AD yet, but it's probably a habit to avoid period.

Here's something: Plain ol' figure drawing/painting. Does it ever have a place in a portfolio? I noticed a lot of that from my fellow hopefuls over NYCC and didn't feel it was MY place to knock it, but to me it created the impression of unnecessary filler. No matter how pretty, there's just no content.

"The merit of originality is not novelty; it is sincerity."
    -Thomas Carlyle

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    Here's something: Plain ol' figure drawing/painting. Does it ever have a place in a portfolio? I noticed a lot of that from my fellow hopefuls over NYCC and didn't feel it was MY place to knock it, but to me it created the impression of unnecessary filler. No matter how pretty, there's just no content.
    It depends. For freelance illustration? No. For a staff concept art gig? Maybe. For school admissions? Definitely.
    Always tailor your portfolio to the particular situation. There's no such thing as one-size-fits-all. And nothing in it should be filler of any sort, no matter how pretty.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    Kristina - The AD for Magic:The Gathering stated that if he can't tell from an artists' illustrations that he/she can draw a figure than they aren't getting hired anyway. I thought that was pretty solid advice, and makes sense.

PS- We didn't get a chance to talk about your portfolio- soon!

Thanks
    one more point about "less is more"; WotC AD said at NY comicCon: "I'll hire you on 3 good pieces in your portfolio, Just 3 good ones. But if you don't have those 3, 24 others are not going to convince me."

Thanks
    I've made the iphone mistake, however, that was after they saw my portfolio and wondered if I had any newer stuff (I did, but didn't have time to go out and get it printed before the convention.)

Thanks
    Thanks Irene and Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine View Post
    Plus his wonderful hand grease was all over that screen... it's a healing agent, he has the fingers of a god.
    I sell it as lip gloss if you are interested cody. It's a powerful aphrodisiac once mixed with tiger bile and rhino horn.

Thanks
    wait wait wait...portfolio on the iphone!?
    I understand where Peter is coming from...but an iphone as a portfolio? really?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    "I'll hire you on 3 good pieces in your portfolio, Just 3 good ones. But if you don't have those 3, 24 others are not going to convince me."
    and I bet you what: 3 good piece + 24 bad piece = you still not getting hired. A small group of half a dozen tight paintings goes much further than those same pieces with another half dozen mediocre pieces to fill it out. ALOT farther.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    First: Figure drawing in portfolio? What Tristan said.

Now...

Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    and I bet you what: 3 good piece + 24 bad piece = you still not getting hired. A small group of half a dozen tight paintings goes much further than those same pieces with another half dozen mediocre pieces to fill it out. ALOT farther.
    This is very true. Artists get hired based on the worst piece in their portfolio, not their best. I have to assume a base level of ability. After that, if the artist gets particularly inspired, great!

-------------
    Irene Gallo
    The Art Department (blog)
    http://igallo.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    aside from portfolio, I think a confident attitude also helps to sell your service.
    the more i read and discuss this sort of thing, the more it makes me realize the reality of the art world.

thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2