Five Ways Not to Introduce Yourself to an Art Director - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    Here's something: Plain ol' figure drawing/painting. Does it ever have a place in a portfolio? I noticed a lot of that from my fellow hopefuls over NYCC and didn't feel it was MY place to knock it, but to me it created the impression of unnecessary filler. No matter how pretty, there's just no content.
    It depends. For freelance illustration? No. For a staff concept art gig? Maybe. For school admissions? Definitely.
    Always tailor your portfolio to the particular situation. There's no such thing as one-size-fits-all. And nothing in it should be filler of any sort, no matter how pretty.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    Here's something: Plain ol' figure drawing/painting. Does it ever have a place in a portfolio? I noticed a lot of that from my fellow hopefuls over NYCC and didn't feel it was MY place to knock it, but to me it created the impression of unnecessary filler. No matter how pretty, there's just no content.
    Kristina - The AD for Magic:The Gathering stated that if he can't tell from an artists' illustrations that he/she can draw a figure than they aren't getting hired anyway. I thought that was pretty solid advice, and makes sense.

PS- We didn't get a chance to talk about your portfolio- soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one more point about "less is more"; WotC AD said at NY comicCon: "I'll hire you on 3 good pieces in your portfolio, Just 3 good ones. But if you don't have those 3, 24 others are not going to convince me."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've made the iphone mistake, however, that was after they saw my portfolio and wondered if I had any newer stuff (I did, but didn't have time to go out and get it printed before the convention.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Irene and Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine View Post
    Plus his wonderful hand grease was all over that screen... it's a healing agent, he has the fingers of a god.
    I sell it as lip gloss if you are interested cody. It's a powerful aphrodisiac once mixed with tiger bile and rhino horn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait wait wait...portfolio on the iphone!?
    I understand where Peter is coming from...but an iphone as a portfolio? really?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I'll hire you on 3 good pieces in your portfolio, Just 3 good ones. But if you don't have those 3, 24 others are not going to convince me."
    and I bet you what: 3 good piece + 24 bad piece = you still not getting hired. A small group of half a dozen tight paintings goes much further than those same pieces with another half dozen mediocre pieces to fill it out. ALOT farther.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First: Figure drawing in portfolio? What Tristan said.

Now...

Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    and I bet you what: 3 good piece + 24 bad piece = you still not getting hired. A small group of half a dozen tight paintings goes much further than those same pieces with another half dozen mediocre pieces to fill it out. ALOT farther.
    This is very true. Artists get hired based on the worst piece in their portfolio, not their best. I have to assume a base level of ability. After that, if the artist gets particularly inspired, great!

-------------
    Irene Gallo
    The Art Department (blog)
    http://igallo.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aside from portfolio, I think a confident attitude also helps to sell your service.
    the more i read and discuss this sort of thing, the more it makes me realize the reality of the art world.

thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by REGNIRUTH View Post
    aside from portfolio, I think a confident attitude also helps to sell your service.
    the more i read and discuss this sort of thing, the more it makes me realize the reality of the art world.

thanks!
    But don't act like you are the best thing since sliced bread either. No one wants to deal with a smart ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.. I didn't want to start a new thread, so maybe someone can answer this for me real quick...

What about a really shy artist? Well-presented, good work, but shy and nervous? Will that kill someone's chances?

There is no age in art.

Please see my Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Irene Gallo View Post

This is very true. Artists get hired based on the worst piece in their portfolio, not their best. I have to assume a base level of ability.
    I did not know that! Wow

My Sketchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hedburg
    This one guy said, "Look at that girl. She's got a nice butt." I said, "Yeah, I bet she can sit down excellently!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkitty View Post
    Well.. I didn't want to start a new thread, so maybe someone can answer this for me real quick...

What about a really shy artist? Well-presented, good work, but shy and nervous? Will that kill someone's chances?
    Kill, no, but effect? Yes. Shy isn't so much a problem, but nervous is. This is less of a problem for freelancing because these days because so little contact is face-to-face, or even over the phone, but through email. But if you're applying for a staff position, how you come across at an interview is a big factor. People like to work with people they like.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to transfer my napkin things to real paper now...
    If you have drawn some really cool stuff on napkins, I so gotta see it! (we need a thread just for drawing on those napkins!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    No one wants to deal with a smart ass.
    I guess I need to choose a new career path.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2 cents

Some very good advice here. I had some interesting experiences recently. Here's my list:

If you're a pleasant person, be pleasant, be yourself.

If you're in a negative mood, please, please, please say as little as possible. Your body language speaks volumes. I encountered a very negative situation where the artist was talking at length about why he thinks he hasn't gotten more work. I actually avoided passing the aisle on a second round as a result.

Let your work speak for itself. The old cliché is that a picture is worth a thousand words. Don't tell the AD what to think.

Never shake hands with an AD and tell them you just got over the flu. They'll surely remember you but for all the wrong reasons.

Time to take my Sudafed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbcmatthew View Post

Never shake hands with an AD and tell them you just got over the flu. They'll surely remember you but for all the wrong reasons.

Time to take my Sudafed...
    Matthew,
    IT WASN'T ME, I SWEAR!!!! REALLY!!!!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do show me your sketchbook because I will know instantly where you are at in your evolution as an artist. I can tell how far along the road of seeing and hand/eye training you have been, and I can tell how much I can trust you.

~Mark
    AD 13 years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do show me your sketchbook because I will know instantly where you are at in your evolution as an artist. I can tell how far along the road of seeing and hand/eye training you have been, and I can tell how much I can trust you.
    whoa, wait, you mean you want to see a portfoilo, and a sketchbook? (just rying to clarify )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With a mention of comic cons and since SDCC is fast approaching:

* Remember, no matter where you're at - it's professionalism that counts. So, dress the part. That means, while it may be a con (SDCC in particular), don't dress up as your favorite character. That will NOT give you an edge.

Not that anyone here would do that....

Speaking of figure sketches - I often contain the figure work and sketches in a separate book (to allow the option to look through). Should I even bother this year (I intend on going to SDCC)?

(oh, before I forget: bring breath mints.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I often contain the figure work and sketches in a separate book (to allow the option to look through). Should I even bother this year (I intend on going to SDCC)?
    hey, if nothing else, it's always fun to pass around when everyone's hanging out late night

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    With a mention of comic cons and since SDCC is fast approaching:

* Remember, no matter where you're at - it's professionalism that counts. So, dress the part. That means, while it may be a con (SDCC in particular), don't dress up as your favorite character. That will NOT give you an edge.
    I heard from the heads of some local game companies that its ok to dress comfortable, and to just dress like you would on a normal day. They also said that dressing up will make you look silly because everyone else will be in normal clothing. They said they want one to be them self, they want the person at the interview to be the same person if they are hired. So imho just dress like and be the person you want to be and be the artist you are, not what you think they expect. Common sense, but I think it should be pounded into everyone's head.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed! I'd say it's a pretty good rule of thumb that if the person you want to be is Matter-Eater Lad then you should talk to a therapist rather than an art director. Don't go in costume to somewhere you will seek a job unless you are trying out to be a team mascot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dkounios View Post
    wait wait wait...portfolio on the iphone!?
    I understand where Peter is coming from...but an iphone as a portfolio? really?
    the iphone could access the internet and I had work online (my blog), it was easy to pull up the website and show them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2