Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Five Ways Not to Introduce Yourself to an Art Director

Thanks
    7) Show up as they're hurrying to catch a plane and give them a business card as they leave, hoping first that they don't lose it and second that they happen to remember to follow the link later.

Heh, maybe not so damning but not the best way to get feedback
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 470 Posts
    A lot of this is just nervousness. No one means to come across poorly, but everyone gets anxious at times, or just isn’t "on".
    my advice on this for portfolio reviews is, if you get nervous during a review, the best thing you can do is shut your mouth! And that goes double when the reviewer is giving you a crit. Listen, nod, take notes, DO NOT ARGUE!

And if you feel ahead of time that something in your book needs to be defended, you probably shouldn't have it in there in the first place.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    my advice on this for portfolio reviews is, if you get nervous during a review, the best thing you can do is shut your mouth! And that goes double when the reviewer is giving you a crit. Listen, nod, take notes, DO NOT ARGUE!
    I agree with this. I sat in on some portfolio reviews for the SND conference in Boston this past year. I was with some friends, other designers at different newspapers from the area and we were all at the same table looking at portfolios. I remember having one student in particular who seemed nervous at first and told us back-stories to every single page in his portfolio. Things like, who his roommates were and why their girlfriends, sister did something to the star football player who...blah, blah, blah. We critiqued his work and tried to be constructive on areas where he could improve. He began defending his work by arguing with us. I'll never forget his last words; "Well, that's just how we do it where I'm from." (fyi:I think he was from Atlanta)

After he walked away, it took a second or two for the four of us to realize what just happened. I've never experienced anything like it. He had traveled all the way to Boston to tell newspaper art directors how things are done. It was a first. So, yeah, please don't argue.
    Last edited by Elwell; April 22nd, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli Hitchcock View Post
    Though I have to admit, when Manley looked at my work I was nervous as all hell.
    haha, I heard he was being really tough on people. I'm sad I didn't get a chance to get beaten up by him. I got smacked around plenty by some of the other reviewers though. Fun times.

Thanks
    3) hahaha,
    does that really happen?

people just come up to you with their phones and they are like "yo bro, check this shit out!"
    and you are just like "ummmm cool bro, ahemmmm"
    "so i'm hired?" no, not really.

that's how i imagine the conversation to go like.

Thanks
    Another thing I've seen is people who have to swear every other word when they're talking. Even if it's not at you, but to you... super unprofessional.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    God yes, LESS IS MORE at a portfolio review. I can add one from my own experience:

8.) Do NOT bring original 16x24 charcoal life drawings and cast studies to an interview, particularly if it's for a graphic design position at a major newspaper.

My neighbor worked at the Boston Globe and wanted to do me a favor, so he set up an interview there for me during my sophomore year in college. I didn't want a job in graphic design anyway and was caught totally off guard, since my body of work until that point was all student stuff. I wasn't considered for the job of course and the nice interviewer was patient with me, but I could tell she was thinking "What the hell am I supposed to do with these... and oh crap, now there's charcoal all over my computer desk."

Also, I've been on the other end of things and done some portfolio reviews, both for the sake of my employer and recently at workshops. Take-aways are very important - DON'T give me a generic CD with your contact info written on it in Sharpie. Not once have I popped an art CD into my computer after an interview, it's been my experience that CDs just get filed away and forgotten. (If your demo reel is on the CD, this may be a different story, but having a personal portfolio website is always preferred.)

Plus, I am really crappy with names and faces (like most people), especially if I've seen like 50 portfolios that day; give me something visual to easily remind me who you are! PUT SOME KIND OF ART ON YOUR BUSINESS CARD!!! I also recommend printing up inexpensive booklets to give to art directors. If you decide the job isn't for you, you can always take it back but to give it to a potential employer is not only a great reminder to them of your body of work, but it's also like giving a little gift. I have had a lot of success with giving out the books, if nothing else for the sake of networking.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    people resort to profanity when they have nothing better to say. So again, keep the lips locked and keep in mind where you are.

good tips here!
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    oh man, i didn't know you were at ny comic con, i would have brought my portfolio over.

Thanks
    I admit to being guilty of #2. They still hired me though, so I guess I was just too awesome (no seriously I just have good connections.)

Thanks
    Heheh loved this.
    What's particularly funny is somehow when I was showing a friend at the Seattle Workshop some of my art on my iphone it ended up in your hands afterwards.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    "I just got this mental image of someone doodleing on napkins, back of recepets and the inside of foil gum wrappers trying to pass that off to you as a portfoilo....wow..."

WOW! Things have really changed since my first interview in 1876, Juju-bee...

I'm going to transfer my napkin things to real paper now...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    I will keep these tips in my heart forever.

I was almost guilty of 2 as well with the person who interviewed me about an art scholarship. She seemed to like the older ones
    My Sketchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hedburg
    This one guy said, "Look at that girl. She's got a nice butt." I said, "Yeah, I bet she can sit down excellently!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast