coppermine photo gallery and other automated online gallery options?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following

coppermine photo gallery and other automated online gallery options?

Hey folks. I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding more automated gallery protocols for personal portfolio sites. After struggling with few straight html layouts, a little bit of lightbox javascript, I've decided to give php a shot. I found a free gallery script called coppermine and have spent the better part of the day today customizing it on my new domain and server that I just registered. Check out ndhill.com to see my progress thus far.

Anyway, is this passable on professional terms? I know Craig Mullins uses it but you really don't it much elsewhere. How crucial is to have an html website from the ground up?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bunch of people use it. (I do),

the only "pro" pro I can think of who uses it aside from mullins is Vyle, but I know I've seen it around quite commonly. It's totally passable IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. David Levy's configuration is really tight as well. You almost forget it's php.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's also Flash-based "Simpleviewer" - you can check it out f.e. here http://www.jakkas.pl/ - its pretty easy to set up too

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    used coppermine before but its limited in terms of trying to get a nice interface

you can find css based image galleries on line easy to use and edit some may require dreamweaver you can get a 30 day trial off www.adobe.com

take a look at http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/

most of the galleries can be downloaded by selecting view- page source on the top of browser and copying and pasting the code into the code box in dreamweaver

you can then set up a basic menu contact page and have a web site

also check out http://dhtmlsite.com/imagegalleries.php

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thirdeye, that looks somewhat similar to Banana Album, which looks very nice too.

N D Hill, I'd be curious to know which you prefered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    Hey thirdeye, that looks somewhat similar to Banana Album, which looks very nice too.

N D Hill, I'd be curious to know which you prefered.
    Honestly, I have restored faith in Coppermine after seeing David Levy's site. Everything about his set up is slick, simple and straight forward. I really haven't had much opportunity to explore customization aside from finding a basic theme and changing the colors and images. Right now, I'm definitely not satisfied with my layout and the fact that so many obvious php seams are visible; making it look more like a forum than a gallery. My gallery requirements thus far are being met but the cosmetic are ugly and very 'undesigner like.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... this is a useful thread. I've been thinking of getting a website for about a year now, but have been too lazy to figure out web programming and make my own. Knowing that there is accepted pre-made web layouts that pros use is really good to know.

Does anyone know of more good professional looking layouts similar to these listed

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    Hmmm... this is a useful thread. I've been thinking of getting a website for about a year now, but have been too lazy to figure out web programming and make my own. Knowing that there is accepted pre-made web layouts that pros use is really good to know.

Does anyone know of more good professional looking layouts similar to these listed
    Well the thing is there really is no way of avoiding at least a rudimentary knowledge of html with any of these options except for the FLASH, which I honestly have no clue about whatsoever. Really what it comes down to is identifying your own needs first and foremost and learning based on your personal necessity. More often that not, you'll find that someone else has discovered a solution to your problems. That's when you can "sample" a from a template and adapt it to fit you personally. It's those cosmetic alterations that require the knowledge and patience.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.