Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art theft - Disturbing article

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art theft - Disturbing article

http://www.luclatulippe.com/2008/04/...illustrations/

Here is a article that I discovered when browsing my favourites. As an artistic person (and not even that successfully) these sort of acts really piss me off.

I thought that this would be a suitable site to share this on.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oof, thats some tough stuff

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A whole book published with plagiarized material. That's quite unbelievable.

Rocul is offline Trying to improve faster Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoah... that is quite unbelievable there. Tsk, people these days and what they'll do for some quick cash.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh it feels so inviting to go Hulk and try to hunt them down. Although I find this project to be quite darring, I'm sure it happens all the time. Are we to come back to an era of giant watermarks on web-displayed artwork?

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    Oh it feels so inviting to go Hulk and try to hunt them down. Although I find this project to be quite darring, I'm sure it happens all the time. Are we to come back to an era of giant watermarks on web-displayed artwork?
    Either that or incredibly low resolution.

300x400 pixels... make a printable image outta that!

What is that? 1" x 1.33" for print (300 DPI) I think. Yeah, that there would make an exciting art book. Nothing but nigh unrecognizable thumbnails, it'll sell like hotcakes!

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can upscale images. Even images of an artist's standard res (in the field of 1000-1200 w and h) don't look noticeably bad to the layman. And you can make a smaller book too- plus, apparently alot of the images are only a few inches across.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, The Chinese are horrible at just outright copying crap. This is why I completely boycott ANY of there products.

As a engineer, i've had to deal with these poeple before and have had stuff stolen from them before. Its not fun and all of your hard work, analysis, study goes out the door. ARG!

anyways i hope things get better.
    -bix

A little of this and that, hopefully nothing explodes right away....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to biscuitninja For This Useful Post:

JPC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Disturbing indeed.

Gave me the not entirely unrelated idea: Register email addresses to social security numbers or home phone number / mobile etc, home address.
    Anonymity is killing original content on the net.

I recently had some trouble with paypal where the commisioned work ended up not being paid for, as the email used to contact and commission it was different from the paypal one used to pay for it; thus paypal did not let the money go through and I ended up standing there having done the work with nothing to show for it.

DAMN scammers ! : /

Last edited by Helioth; April 22nd, 2008 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is how fucked up the musicians must feel thanks to the internet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks to the internet
    Yeah... the internet is baaaaaaaaaaad...

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _andreas_ View Post
    this is how fucked up the musicians must feel thanks to the internet
    With the difference of the product being sold. Dunno about you, but that ranks pretty highly for me.

That'd be the difference between songs downloaded over some P2P program and albums being burnt and sold out of a van.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa View Post
    Yeah... the internet is baaaaaaaaaaad...
    It is! I've got all kinds of crap to do but look where I'm at...

Posting on an internet forum!

Bad internet! BAD!

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Helioth View Post
    Disturbing indeed.
    Anonymity is killing original content on the net.
    Oh yeah it is! People say and do all kinds of stuff on the interwebnetz that they would never dream of saying and doing in real life.

It is a shame when we have to feel restrained from sharing. I wish the artist(s) all the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ECMastersStudio View Post
    Oh yeah it is! People say and do all kinds of stuff on the interwebnetz that they would never dream of saying and doing in real life.

It is a shame when we have to feel restrained from sharing. I wish the artist(s) all the best.
    I thought that was sarcasm first, then I noticed it wasn't,
    Seems surreal somehow.
    So much silly, petty, theft on the net.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is kinda troubleing, taking someone elses work as your own is always a bummer for the artist that gets scammed.

On a similar note did any of you guys hear about the orphan works bill?
    It's a bill that in a way legalizes copying the work of an artist as long as you say that you couldn't find them, of course it's difficult to determine whether they were or weren't found.

I'm bad at explaining it but I got some web links that say more if your intereste (which you should be cuz someone may steal your work)

http://www.sellyourtvconceptnow.com/orphan.html
    http://www.nikondigital.org/dps/dps-v-4-08.htm
    http://oncopyright.copyright.com/200...-radar-screen/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    I read this article the other day. If you look in the comments, they actually DID use some images WITH watermarks anyways...so, sadly, that won't stop idiots like this. :/

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino View Post
    I read this article the other day. If you look in the comments, they actually DID use some images WITH watermarks anyways...so, sadly, that won't stop idiots like this. :/
    Talking about idiots and watermarks

And I have actually seen it in the store like this.

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Duq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duq...that's just...wow...I would love to believe that that was just placeholder art and someone rushed it out the door quick without thinking but...man. That's just sad.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, Duq, that's awesome.

Apparently a similar thing happened with the Wii version of Okami's box art. Not quite so obvious, though.

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I remember correctly, China was "late to the signing party" for being part of the Berne Treaty. It may have been as late as 1992 that they were signed on, so you have to consider how long the attitude went on without the ideal of intellectual property and the rules to respect. I think that has to do with the politics of ownership too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People's_Republic_of_ China
    I'm not surprised considering the amount of counterfeiting that goes on in that country anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I am going to throw up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Duq, that hurts.

You really should see the rest of the line...

JPC is offline derailed artist trying to find his way back Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuitninja View Post
    Yes, The Chinese are horrible at just outright copying crap. This is why I completely boycott ANY of there products.

As a engineer, i've had to deal with these poeple before and have had stuff stolen from them before. Its not fun and all of your hard work, analysis, study goes out the door. ARG!

anyways i hope things get better.
    -bix

I agree with everything that you said man. Being a designer myself, I constantly have to fight against the chinese way of copying anything original and passing it off as theirs.
    This is why I stopped posting my (shitty) sketches here, and why everyone in ConceptArt.Org needs to be careful in what images they post here or anywhere else.

They see nothing wrong with stealing your work. Period. Its not the government, its the cultural mindset. Period.
    I'm glad the shanghai workshop got cancelled. It would have been a terrible thing for all the foreign artists to come here and just be studied/copied, and then see so many of their works passed off by others as
    their own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is sickening, luckily I'll never do anything worth copying

Can someone tell me what a CHOW is? Its mind-boggling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsduane View Post
    Can someone tell me what a CHOW is? Its mind-boggling.
    CHOW is the community activity here on CA about character design. (CHOW = Character of the Week)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

I went to Burmese border a few times and the amount and quality (not to mention price) of counterfeit stuff there was mind boggling. A nice DVD with it's box that looks identical to the official stuff could be bought at around 2$ US. Which I suspect is still about 70% profit. And if you don't care for fancy boxes it gets even ridiculously cheap, I don't know exactly how much one CD cost but people buy it in cardboard box unit. (stuffed as much CD into a cardboad box)

Last edited by enrigo; May 8th, 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard about this... There's a guy who interviewed most of the artists in the giant book of plagarism, and he was really upset because not only did they rip the artists artwork, they stole/claimed all of his interviews and put them with the accompanying artists images! I don't know how they can get away with this... D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    I agree with everything that you said man. Being a designer myself, I constantly have to fight against the chinese way of copying anything original and passing it off as theirs.
    This is why I stopped posting my (shitty) sketches here, and why everyone in ConceptArt.Org needs to be careful in what images they post here or anywhere else.

They see nothing wrong with stealing your work. Period. Its not the government, its the cultural mindset. Period.
    I stay away from flaming wars from forums, but these generalized anti-Chinese comments are very hurtful. There is nothing in Chinese cultural mindset that encourages theft. It's simply a developing country lagging behind in its laws and legal awareness.

It's true that there are Chinese people out there stealing other's works. But I've also known Americans and citizens of other countries violating copyright in ways of downloading illegal copies of softwares and movies. It's largely because of the lack of legal consequences that the theft take a more blatant form.

It will always amaze me just how willingly people generalize others. Please do us all a favor, don't even talk about Chinese culture mind set when you have no idea what it is. As an aspiring artist, I too understand the fear and anger of one's artwork being stolen. However, please direct your anger towards those who deserve it.

JPC is offline derailed artist trying to find his way back Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblue View Post
    I stay away from flaming wars from forums, but these generalized anti-Chinese comments are very hurtful. There is nothing in Chinese cultural mindset that encourages theft. It's simply a developing country lagging behind in its laws and legal awareness.

It's true that there are Chinese people out there stealing other's works. But I've also known Americans and citizens of other countries violating copyright in ways of downloading illegal copies of softwares and movies. It's largely
    because of the lack of legal consequences that the theft take a more blatant form.

It will always amaze me just how willingly people generalize others. Please do us all a favor, don't even talk about Chinese culture mind set when you have no idea what it is. As an aspiring artist, I too understand the fear and anger of one's artwork being stolen. However, please direct your anger towards those who deserve it.
    I was expecting this....

xiao jie, I wasn't flaming. I was speaking from experience and observation.
    I am after all the one living in the mainland. I am after all half chinese myself.
    Are you living on the mainland?
    Or are you in a free country enjoying the benefits of true democracy while using your asian heritage as a shield?

If being an artist means you can express yourself through your work,
    I think that entitles me to share my opinion and my views based on what I have experienced.

Talking about the chinese who steal and copy is not an attack on all chinese people. It is an attack on the chinese who steal and copy. Which in any design related field means pretty much all of them, factories, trading companies, design houses etc...

When I say it is part of the mindset here, that is based on experience.
    Whenever I object to some chinese designer in my company stealing my designs, I get the usual bullshit "Mei Guan Xi" "it doesn't matter..."
    I don't even get a whisper of support. People here look at me like I'm crazy for bringing up the issue in the first place.

And one thing I do not understand from most people in china, is that whenever a foreigner points out something that bothers them about anything chinese, Chinese have to counter with "oh..but this and that also exist in this and there..so it's not only us blahblahblh..your just anti chinese..blahblahblah..)

This argument could go on and on..but the fact of the matter is, someone out there is being ripped off..this was the whole point of this thread.

If the chinese people want the world to respect them, they should be ready to give back that respect as well.

oh, and I was doing everybody a favor by telling them how it really is ...

Last edited by JPC; May 15th, 2008 at 01:07 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JPC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Chinese government sucks shit

It's the best communist government in the world

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

JPC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I grew up in China and have only recently moved to a "free country". I was not defending the act of art theft, or the fact that some Chinese people steal art. As someone who tries to see an issue from all sides I do not defend Chinese government. I'm just bothered by your using the words "cultural mind set". Stealing art in China is not justified. Problem is you can do nothing about it, that's why they are telling you it's all ok.

There is a reason many Chinese are defensive about foreign criticism. There is already a lot of one-sided media coverage out here in the U.S., and a good portion of people don't bother to find out more. The fact that you went fairly directly from a case-by-case event to the entire Chinese mindset proved that the anti China stereotype is doing a lot of damage. If you are living in China right now, you should try to learn more about "Chinese cultural mindset". It's flawed and frustrating in many ways, but stealing is not part of it. If you are not going to bother getting to know the country, then you should probably stay in the case-by-case basis instead of jumping to generalized assumptions.

I hate art theft. China is far, far from perfect with many problems. Chinese government does suck in many ways. However, it is a real country with real people living in it, most of whom have a sense of common decency and justice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.