Selfportrait-school assignment
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Selfportrait-school assignment

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Selfportrait-school assignment

Hey, this is my first thread, i'm quite new to ConceptArt.org and concept art in general :p I'm a student in Digital Arts and Entertainment, in belgium and one of the assignments we have now is to make a selfportrait. First we had to draw 3 views, front, side, and 3/4th and then we have to paint in the front view.
    I'll start the painting asap but feedback is already welcome for the line drawings (btw; the goal wasn't to be superdetailed or photorealistic but a clear view with simple lines)

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Lav; April 20th, 2008 at 07:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update, i just did the "basic" skintones. There's one with the linedrawing over it and one without. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is looking good, the nose is crooked and the nose holes are off center, the little part under the nose looks strange and too overt, I love your technique of a painted blotch of color and molding it from there... do they teach the ground o method? and it is looking very 3-d!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment. Our teachers show us different techniques to use. They didn't specificly taught this one but i'm still trying to find my own style. Here's an update, i have to present the final by tomorrow so i'll have my work cut out for me. I still have to do the hair but extra comments are more than welcome.

Last edited by Lav; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am planning to use this as my final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes and lips look really flat and pasted on to me and the lighting is off to me. It looks like the lighting is coming from the front, so why are there deep shadows in the eye sockets? The last update to this is a bit on the small side, so I can't see details in there too much. Are you using reference for this via a photo or a mirror?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah good thing so see the oestrogen of the class start her own sketchbook
    post some more of ur work to fill up ur topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason your last image didn't upload for me until later. I wouldn't call yourself done just yet. A lot of your brush strokes could be refined better, as well as sculpting of the features. Like I said, your eyes and your lips appear pasted on. Get a mirror and actually observe how these features sit on the face. The planes on the face are also harshly defined and it is causing the actual structure to look skeletal.

There's also a contrast issue going on here. If you desaturate this piece, the two things that stand out are her pupils and that shadow under the neck. You don't want to have those areas overwhelm the face, that's the main subject after all. Work in some darker darks into the skin to bring the focus to the face. You also should relook at how your coloring and blending the hair. Blonde hair is not just yellow unless you dye it to be that way. It's a combination of different color... mine happens to be three different shades of brown. Again, this is where observing your self in the mirror helps! Look very closely and see what color is in those strands. And think of hair in terms of chunks, not in small strands (this causes a spaghetti hair look).

Just as an example, here is a paintover to show you what I'm talking about. Granted, it's probably a great deal off the mark with how you look, but the point is to give you some measure of guidance in how to render the eyes and lips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback and paintover meli, it's very useful and i see my mistakes now. I used a photo as reference but will work more with a mirror. The photo was taken a bit from an angle upwards so perhaps that's why i thought the eyes should go that way but it does look like it's just pasted on like you said. The light should be coming from front/right side and up of the picture, will try to define it more.
    Btw matthieu, don't have sketchbook here yet, just looking for feedback on the assignment Maybe when i have more time i'll start one

Last edited by Lav; April 24th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a new update, i'm not planning to modify anything else on the lips (unless you can point something out that needs to be fixed that i didn't notice). Any other feedback is more than welcome. I used save for web feature in photoshop to make the file smaller but i noticed there's less contrast now, if i resize the picture manually then i don't get the small file size as with "save for web". Is this normal or is there something i should be doing different?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.