what happened?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what happened?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what happened?

so.. everyone stopped posting stuff in my sketchbook like months ago. what the hell yo?

bookinwhichisketch

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon.

"I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them." -Pablo Picasso.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well see it's like this,
    YOU"RE the one who's supposed to post stuff in your sketchbook, and after that maybe people will comment.
    You haven't posted in there for months.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Well see it's like this,
    YOU"RE the one who's supposed to post stuff in your sketchbook, and after that maybe people will comment.
    +1

also: um... is this just an advertisement to get people to bump something on the forum lists when you yourself don't put in the effort to contribute to it yourself? I'm not going to post in your sketchnook, because I know thats what you want, but seeing as I've already started typing a reply to this I will say here: learn to draw the human figure correctly. That doesn't just mean drawing naked people. (A 3rd grader can scribble boobs on a bathroom wall, that doesn't make it a figure drawing.) I suggest that you buy a few anatomy books specifically written for artists (you'll find them in the art books section of barnes and noble) read up on them and use what you learn. Pay attention to basic shapes and gesture, the details (which you have spent unnecesary time on in all of your given examples) don't matter untill you have a beleivable framework to hang them on.

As stated, first learn shapes and gestures. After that learn the skeleton. (not every rib, but the basics that allign themselves with afforementioned shapes and gestures.) After that learn the major muscle groups and how they attach to the skeleton. After that start over again with the shapes and gestures. Repeat. Once you have all that down add only as many details as is neccesary; the details are not the drawing, but simply a part of it. A well planned out drawing that captures the form of the body is better than one that just shows a lot of details without any hint that the artist knows propotions.

Sorry for being an asshole... but I guess that occasionally when posting here I'm an asshole. (I'm a lot nicer IRL)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmakessense View Post
    so.. everyone stopped posting stuff in my sketchbook like months ago. what the hell yo?
    are you serious?... were you expecting EVERYONE to be posting in your sketch thread?
    Have you done anything to improve yourself and warrant a response from the folks here, yo?

C'mon girl, use your loaf... YOU need to post regularly, to get a regular response.... jeez

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Day after day, never fail to draw something which, however little it may be, will yet in the end be much, and do thy best, and upload onto CA sketchbook." -cennino cennini

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    "Day after day, never fail to draw something which, however little it may be, will yet in the end be much, and do thy best, and upload onto CA sketchbook." -cennino cennini

yeah... I thought about commenting on that too, tho I guess I figured I had already given her a hard time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post

Haha, I thought exactly the same thing. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    Well see it's like this,
    Not only that, but also posts in other peoples sketchbooks date back several months.
    You have to stay present on peoples minds (in a positive, helpful and constructive way) so that they will want to give back the favour.

Unless you actively mingle with the crowd, your sketchbook will stay just one among many.

Don't let yourself be discouraged by these replies, just get out there, connect with people, make friends and keep improving.

Getting comments will take care of itself in that process. : )

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    HK, if she's been here a while, its all the more reason she should know the answer to her own question, no? katie, jus keep drawing, k? kthx

Last edited by stoph; April 18th, 2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: a little harsh, felt guilty :/

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Take it easy guys. Katie's been here for awhile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    ...I'm not going to post in your sketchnook, because I know thats what you want, but seeing as I've already started typing a reply to this I will say here: learn to draw the human figure correctly. That doesn't just mean drawing naked people. (A 3rd grader can scribble boobs on a bathroom wall, that doesn't make it a figure drawing.) I suggest that you buy a few anatomy books specifically written for artists (you'll find them in the art books section of barnes and noble) read up on them and use what you learn. Pay attention to basic shapes and gesture, the details (which you have spent unnecesary time on in all of your given examples) don't matter untill you have a beleivable framework to hang them on.

As stated, first learn shapes and gestures. After that learn the skeleton. (not every rib, but the basics that allign themselves with afforementioned shapes and gestures.) After that learn the major muscle groups and how they attach to the skeleton. After that start over again with the shapes and gestures. Repeat. Once you have all that down add only as many details as is neccesary; the details are not the drawing, but simply a part of it. A well planned out drawing that captures the form of the body is better than one that just shows a lot of details without any hint that the artist knows propotions.....

although there's a risk that the above might be perceived as a "kicking", it's actually not - it's really very good relevant advice.

Last edited by dcorc; April 18th, 2008 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can I post some of my art in there?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never post anything anywhere. I just walk around with a big sign that says "Hi. I'm a befuddled idiot--please hit me with a big stick."

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the stupidest topic i've seen in the lounge thus far this year.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I never post anything anywhere. I just walk around with a big sign that says "Hi. I'm a befuddled idiot--please hit me with a big stick."
    *hits you with a big stick*
    you're welcome.

Vhan Juju is offline Just another developing teenage artist. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *hits you with a big stick*
    Talk softley around Ilaekae...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...sorry...you'll have to speak up. I have a big stick in my ear...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Yes, I'm just phoning this one in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe you said something that dirty on an open forum!

Pervert!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you dont have to take this shit man if people wont post in your sketchbook they dont deserve it shut it down and show them whats what

24. The Following User Says Thank You to light For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i posted this gay topic like half a year ago and just looked at it and realized how incredibly retarded i am. youre right, i havent looked at any anatomy stuff or anything mostly cause i dont have the time so ill make a new account when i actually have the energy to put effort into it. laame. thx bye.

bookinwhichisketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I don't want to encourage you to work on your art, but a few things...

- Your use of the terms "gay" and "retarded" in this instance are very offensive.
    - It has not been "half a year"....it's been a month and a week.
    - There's no point in making a new account. You can go to support and have your name changed, but why start over?
    - Be serious about your art and MAKE time for it. You obviously know your excuses are lame, so don't let them take over.
    - Why necro a thread to say goodbye? Go post in your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is the stupidest topic i've seen in the lounge thus far this year.
    damn, that's pretty rough. I did open this thread in disbelief though, I have to admit, like "this can't be what I think it is..."

Why necro a thread to say goodbye? Go post in your sketchbook.
    cause it gets a few more bumps to her SB? we all know the lounge is where the kids like to hang

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm so i create a thread with a random topic and suddenly I get the masses of comments in my Scetchbook? Would be interesting to test that,

on the other hand, why would I want all those comments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    Hmmm so i create a thread with a random topic and suddenly I get the masses of comments in my Scetchbook? Would be interesting to test that,

on the other hand, why would I want all those comments?
    I think it somewhat has something to do with constant attention seeking, up to a point i think we all suffer from this but i think it differs for each person in term of intensity and consequently when it comes to find a "solution" to this need, people dont go down the same roads. This thread for instance is a dead end.

In a nutshell the bestest way ever to get attention, praise and everything (if this is ur number 1 concern & y wouldn it be?)
    is being badass at what u do or/and being a good person.

so er... draw!

<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    Not that I don't want to encourage you to work on your art, but a few things...

- Your use of the terms "gay" and "retarded" in this instance are very offensive.
    - It has not been "half a year"....it's been a month and a week.
    - There's no point in making a new account. You can go to support and have your name changed, but why start over?
    - Be serious about your art and MAKE time for it. You obviously know your excuses are lame, so don't let them take over.
    - Why necro a thread to say goodbye? Go post in your sketchbook.

More excellent advice. Says it all, really. And pay particular attention to the first point there!

Dave

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    or post naked pics in the "what do you look like thread" that works too

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow im a terrible person.

bookinwhichisketch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    its ok, i'm a terrible person too

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this thread is headed down a path that we best not go.

artmakessense - if you were hoping to start a new account to pose as someone new to cover up a little lounge faux pas, then I'd discourage that. If you wanted to start a new account to give yourself a literal fresh start with your art, I'd suggest just carrying on with your SB as it is now and showing folks how much you can take things up a notch. Sets a better example for all to see.

Good luck!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.