Is a talent for art natural or learnable? - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Is a talent for art natural or learnable?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True.. But I think the issue is whether or not anybody can become a really great artist. My answer is no.. Not because that person isn't "talented enough", but because they don't have the discipline necessary to excel at the craft. It takes a special person to be able to work through their awful drawings and actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. There are so many times when I sit down to draw without reference and I realize I still suck at it.. If I didn't have that drive to suceed.. I would surely give up. I'm not surprised that many people do.. Because its not easy to realize your not good yet fight through it and get good. So my take on the subject is that not anyone can become great.. But if they can't.. Its definetely not because they're not talented enough.. Its because they don't want it bad enough or simply can't handle the fact that they aren't good yet and don't believe that they ever can be. I know I'm not good.. I realize that.. But I also know that I can be more than just good.. I've proved it to myself before. So my advice is not to give up because if u want it.. If u really want it.. And are willing to make practicing and improving a major part of your life.. You WILL get better. Then the matter of becoming great just depends on how much of your life you devote. Every extra step you take to improve.. Will make you better in the end.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [sorry for my bad grammar]

I think here is the good example,

I work with computers from childhood (age 6), I seat in front of damn computer monitor for all my life (almost 12hours per day), now I'm in age 24 and I have extraordinary ability to working with computers and electronic devices...I can type 10 pages in some minutes, because I practice type with keyboard for all my life...I just practice and slowly develop such abilities...
    I work with applications unconsciously, even don't think, I know where it is and how it is...I even understand computer problems without thinking!!

I have such talent in computers, only because practice and study for all my life...this is not talent from genes and family, this is just about over-time practice!!!

Now, I working for high-end computer company and my boss don't want to loss me at any cost

...But I never practice even simple sketch until age 20, then I don't develop any serious artistic talent...only because don't practice a lot...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya that's the idea

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Of course, nimadez means he has mad computer SKILLS, not talent. Because saying talent comes from practice would be CRAZY, BAD ENGLISH.

Talent exists, whether you want to believe it or not. But you're not an artist because you have talent. That's why I hate it when people say of accomplished artists that "that guy's really talented!" when they should be saying something along the lines of "that guy has worked his ass off to get where he is".

But talent DOES exist, and it CAN be very important. Because you cannot work yourself into a true genious.

Last edited by Serpian; May 21st, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh, didn't even have to read the thread, the last post nailed it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ McKool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    Of course, nimadez means he has mad computer SKILLS, not talent. Because saying talent comes from practice would be CRAZY, BAD ENGLISH.

Talent exists, whether you want to believe it or not. But you're not an artist because you have talent. That's why I hate it when people say of accomplished artists that "that guy's really talented!" when they should be saying something along the lines of "that guy has worked his ass off to get where he is".

But talent DOES exist, and it CAN be very important. Because you cannot work yourself into a true genious.
    Very true and well said.. But here's a question for you and anyone else who wants to give their opinion. We concluded that although talent exists.. One can become quite accomplised through had work.. Even if they don't have this huge amount of "talent". But you say that no amount of hard work will make you a genius.. Which I totally agree.. But my question is.. Do you think it takes a genius to become an accomplished artist? Or do you think only some accomplised artists have this "genius"? I don't believe that every well known or accomplised artist has this genius. There are a select few that are though.. I see it like this.. A well accomplished artist can be a genius but you don't have to necessarily be a genius to get far in the arts and produce really amazing work.. What do u guys think

MY SKETCHBOOK!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JParrilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm paraphrasing someone here (Stephen King maybe):

Talent is like raw iron ore. Some people may be born with a tiny lump, some people are born with a boulder the size of a Buick.

Practice, education, dedication.... that's forging, tempering, creating alloys.. crafting that ore into a fine instrument.

The person with the little lump of ore can pour their heart and soul into making it into a keenly crafted item... a fine scalpel that can take a life or save it.

The person with that giant mountain of ore can impress the hell out of you with the sheer magnitude of raw material, but without the forging and crafting, you can never perform surgery with that hunk of rock.

Of course, combine the two, forge that mountain of raw materials into a precision instrument that's also massive and that's when the awe-inspiring happens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very good analogy.. Very good.. Wow.. Lol

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i believe that life is like a card game.

Some cards your given, but some you take.

Anyone can take any card, but the trick is taking the right card.

Eg, tigerwoods was given lots of great cards because his father was a golf teacher, the other guy had to grab all his own cards and now maybe he's missed a few that he'd never think were important.

Point being, maybe we are born with advantages and weaknesses but i don't believe that there ever impossible to overcome, we just dont always know how and being given a certain combination is talent.

and the genius are born into a game of jenga.

ps, yu-gi-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ McKool View Post
    Huh, didn't even have to read the thread, the last post nailed it.
    the point's been nailed about 50 times by 40 different people

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 4