Following
    Wow!These look awesome!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riot Shell

This is a collobaration between Abbas Saeleem Khan, who did the linework, and myself, who did the painting. This is a contest entry for Comic Idol's Cover Contest as well. The deadline was very tight, so I had to work around the clock to get this one finished, but I'm very happy with how it turned out overall.

Here's the WIP if you're interested:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff here, my favourite is the joker with the bat, the lighting on that is sick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love this, and I love the progressive animation below it. So Cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like many of the pieces here. I do find your rendering of skin to be rather inconsistent. In many of the pieces it looks flat and plasticy yet in others it has more variation and texture. For most purposes I would shy away from that plasticy look unless the image demands it. I think it detracts from a piece.

Out of curiosity do you use poser to place your figures? I ask because some of the figures have that 'poser' look to to them. Not sure if that makes sense anywhere other than inside my head but that is what I see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rivenis: Thank you, had a ton of fun with that image

ariel_medel:
    Thank you!

Klaw: Appreciate it

clifFroth:
    Thank you for your honesty, you definitely have a point about the skin. I like to paint with high contrast/strong lighting, so I think that might add to that plastic look you're referring too. You definitely have a point though, I'll see if I can get a better handle of it. Regarding Poser, I tend to use it when I'm not in the mood to use photo reference or to experiment with lighting. I try to stick to it very loosely however because the anatomy could look a bit unnatural, but it's great for lighting IMO.

Dusk - A Vampire's Tale: Beautiful Vampire Woman

A promotional image created for Dramatic Development's 'Dusk' Facebook video game, available this summer. This image was completely recently and definitely one of my favorites I've created for this game. Be sure to check out the game's official website at http://www.dusk-game.com for more information as well as an exclusive preview of some of the artwork I've done for the game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The level of detail on the outfit isn't in keeping with the rest of the piece nor is the lighting on it. If her hair is flame how is the side light blue? Also the hair where it connects to the forehead looks the same as the hair in the background which gives the appearance of the head being in front of it rather than attached to it.

Ok I am just being a pain now.....

I really like the eyes but it looks like you mirrored one to make the other and forgot to switch the highlight so that it is on the same side (unless that is intentional)

The nose is also rendered pretty well other than not matching the strong lights on the side of the face.

Sorry for being overly critical.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clifFroth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clifFroth: Your critiques are spot on. Initially I had the figure fully nude and painted the clothing afterwards, which was a really bad idea it seems; My work suffers if I don't work uniformly, and it becomes a bit more difficult for me to make the piece work as a whole when I do that. I don't usually work that way (I never paint/finish one thing at a time, everything I do simultaneously), but the image had to be appeal to all ages (young ones included) so I had to add the clothes at a later point.

You're right about the eyes, I did in fact mirror one to speed up the process (I had a very limited time to work on this image), I didn't think it was too noticeable, but you have a very good eye it seems Thank you for your critiques, this is one of my favorite images so I do plan on refining it based on your critiques since you pointed me in the right direction. Very much appreciate it.

"Sorry for being overly critical.'"

Never apologize for criticizing my work. If anything, I'm extremely grateful at the most harsh and honest criticism, so it's not a problem at all. Thanks again for your honesty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the arm on the RiotShell cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    popwilleatitse1f: Thanks, wish I had more time to work on it more however (wanted to do more detail and texture work, but oh well).

Dusk - A Vampire's Tale: African American Male

One of the many images I completed for Dusk: A Vampire's Tale. I was asked to paint an African American male that resembled the rapper Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs. Lots of fun with this one. The deadline for this project was very tight, so I had to work very hard to get it completed with a refined finish. Official website for the game can be viewed at: http://www.dusk-game.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome works .I love the way u use colours.You have your own style

I am an ART Psycho

My Blog
    SANS Entertainment

My Concepts
    SANSKARANS Concepts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the colors in your work, especially in olivia, phoenix & wonder woman. the blues and yellow are so beautiful in olivia. i also like the mood & rendering in dusk, blade of fire & save us. your lighting in cat woman is lovely the wonder woman piece is also nice, but the muscles on the inside of her thigh jumped out at me. maybe it would help to relax them a little..? glad i dropped by your portfolio, highly inspiring, just like your sb looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your artwork. simply beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sanskarans: Thank you, much appreciated

AnneBallaran: Thank you, colors are always a lot of fun for me to handle. You have a point about the Wonder Woman piece, I can see the same flaw now that I have a fresh eye at it, definitely needs some softening up in that area. Thank you for your compliments and feedback, I'm a huge fan of your work so it's really great to hear from you.

IshidaU: Thank you!

Dusk - A Vampire's Tale: Anglo

One of the many images I completed for the upcoming Facebook game, Dusk. The deadline was very tight for these paintings, but I'm happy with how this turned out, especially in regards to color. For more information the game, make sure to check out the official website: http://www.dusk-game.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dusk: A Vampire's Tale - Vampire

Another image I completed for Dusk: A Vampire's Tale. This one was completed fairly recently, and very much inspired by the 'Underworld' movies - wanted to achieve a similar feel to that of the movie's atmosphere. This one was a lot of fun to do, and also very challenging, as I was on a tight deadline. Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your use of lighting, you create a good atmosphere in your work. The last painting is nice, I like that you've textured it a little more than the previous ones, in the cloak and the clothing, gives it more depth and solidity. Do I see a little bit of Rutger Hauer in the face? Or am I imagining it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, lighting is always fun to create. Glad you dig the textures on my latest, that's something I felt was lacking in my works lately so I really wanted to push it here. As for the face, it was inspired from an actor named Peter Graves as requested by the client.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dusk: A Vampire's Tale - Latina Vampire

I completed this image a couple of months ago for the video game 'Dusk', and I recently had the chance to work on it more to give it a further refined finish. I'm quite happy with how this one turned out overall, it's definitely one of my strongest works for this project. Official website of the game can be viewed at: http://www.dusk-game.com as well.

Last edited by cgaddict; May 24th, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dusk: A Vampire's Tale - Modern Vampire

Painting of a modern vampire. This image probably took the longest out of the whole bunch I did, as I wanted this image to look as realistic as possible. The grass in the foreground was a lot of fun to paint, and I created several custom brushes to help speed up the process as well. More info on the game available at http://www.dusk-game.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great with the vampires. I think the Anglo is the best.
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luk999: Glad ya dig!

The Enchantress

This painting is the book cover for A.P. Stephens' 'The White Shadow Saga: Shameless Wonders'. This is easily my most detailed work to date. The background and foreground took a lot of work to bring to life; Creating the chaos and destruction in the background specifically was very fun, and very challenging as well. To order a copy of the book or if you're interested to see how this painting was created, you can check out the official website here.

And here are some close ups:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    African American Vampire Woman

Painted for 'Dusk'. Lots of fun with this one, especially in regards to the skin tones. The version that will appear in the game will be slightly more clothed, gotta keep it PG :d

Crazy Vampire Woman

Yet another vampire! I was asked to paint a crazed, Lady Gaga-esque vampire this time, and had a blast with this one. I wanted to try a different setting for this one, so I experimented with a rainy setting which was a lot of fun. Close up below as well:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yearning For Carnage

Portrait of a friend; I painted him as a Vampire to show his natural roots (I kid, I kid). This image was fairly challenging, especially in regards to the color scheme. I ended up altering the color scheme several times, but I think it all worked out for the best. I painted this image with an earlier version of Photoshop, but refined it later with the new version CS5 which is a blast to work with. This image will also be featured in the upcoming Facebook video game Dusk.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude nice posts, although not too keen on vampires myself! I really like the Riot shell piece of work, and the WIP animation really helps see the process and thought that has gone into the final piece. I like the idea of a collaboration like that, was it difficult to do? Keep it up!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: Thank you, glad to hear you like Riot Shell, I had a blast with that one. The collaboration was quite easy, actually. Me and Abbas generally work very well together, with very little frustration in the process.

Nosferatu

Portrait of the classic vampire. Going for a more stylized look this time around - I'm also going to paint a more human and elegant version shortly as well. As always, this was done on a fairly tight deadline, but I'm satisfied with the results. Official website for the game can be viewed here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fotia

I haven't painted a personal pieces in what seemed like ages, and I haven't found the opportunity to do so until recently. This piece was very challenging and fun - I wanted this image to be very lively and saturated, so I chose very warm tones primarlily, complemented by much cooler colors to help the figure pop. This concept of this image was very much inspired by Boris Vallejo, whose works I'm always studying. A 'Making Of' feature will be posted soon as well.

Last edited by cgaddict; August 11th, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig your work, cgaddict. I've seen your stuff on gfxartist as well. Two critiques: all of your compositions seem pretty flat and similar all around, I'd love to see how you handle a piece that isn't as posed or something that just plays with perspective a bit more. The other thing is how you're drawing lips. You're putting very dark lip color on a lot of your male characters and it looks like lipstick. Also, in nearly all your pieces, regardless of lighting, you're putting this really harsh highlight on everyone's upper lip, might want to consider toning that down.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to GRUNDFAST For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GRUNDFAST: Glad to hear you enjoy my work. Your critiques are spot on, I noticed that too actually and I'm making a greater effort for creating more depth with my images. It's worth mentioning however that I can't do that for the 'Vampire' pieces, as I was instructed to keep the backgrounds simple and concentrate only on rendering the figures, but that's something I definitely want to avoid for my personal pieces. Great point regarding the lips on the male characters, I'm definitely making a mental note on that, as that's a common fault on many of my paintings. Thank you for your honesty.

The Awakening

I had the concept of painting a statue coming to life for a while now, although I haven't had the opportunity to paint it until recently. The painting turned out pretty much exactly as how I envisioned it from the get go, which I find is happening more often as I progress with my paintings... it's a welcome change, so I'm not complaining! This was painted around 3 or 4 evenings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aqua

Wanted to paint another underwater scene with this one, as it's always a lot of fun. I referenced the figure from my friend Diego's gallery (http://www.flickr.com/photos/diegofraustro), who's an amazing photographer. Learned a lot about how colors and skin tones work with this piece as well.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast