Art: CG Addict's Paintings (nudity) - updated November 28th! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work men ! i like the color on humen's face. always colorful... want to see more !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone who commented, always appreciated. I added another image as well, which can be seen in either the first page, or below; As always, critiques are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Wrath of Medusa

I wanted to paint Medusa for quite some time, but haven't had a chance to until recently. This image was a lot of fun to paint, but also extremely challenging; The statue's 'folds' and texture in particular were very time consuming, as was the strands of grass on the foreground. For those interested, a tutorial on how I painted this image will be available soon on Photoshop Digital Painting Magazine as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Resurrectionist

A collaboration between myself and Abbas Saleem Khan (bakatron.com). The underwater theme tend to be a bit challenging for me, but I'm very happy with how this one turned out. Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your Medusa image, but I think more could be done with Medusa's face and "hair." Some of the snakes look too faded or transparent, and they don't look much like snakes, if you are going for a traditional depiction of Medusa as a woman with snakes for hair. The eyes are a solid white, to indicate the power of her petrifying gaze, I assume, but it might be more interesting if they had more of a glow or some color to them. Great work on the grass and the statue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahami: Glad you dig the Medusa image, as I had a lot of fun painting that. Regarding the hair, I didn't want it to be too evident if it was either hair or snakes, so I painted it as such. Looking back now, I definitely wouldn't have made that choice (ironically a family member made the exact same critique you did when I showed it to them, which was around 5 minutes before you posted lol). With that said, I'm glad you like the image regardless. I'll definitely give Medusa another go in the future, painting her more like a monster, complete with snakes and all that jazz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some updates, I'll see if I can get to post some close-ups later today as a lot of detail seems to have been lost as a result of the down-size...

Phoenix

I've been studying the works of Boris Vallejo for quite some time, and I wanted to paint something in that style for quite some time. I learned much about how to go about color and skin tones studying his work, and I think this image greatly benefited from that. For once I'm actually quite satisfied with how this image turned out; Easily my best work in terms of colors and composition IMO. The figure was referenced from Mjranum-Stock, and was very much inspired by the character from the 'X-Men' comic books/movies.

Lost

I had this theme in my head for quite some time, and finally found some time to paint it. I wanted to paint something that was surreal in style, while leaving it open for interpretation. I learned a lot about conveying mood in this one as well.

Last edited by cgaddict; October 13th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing stuff, hey I think I saw your tutorial in the Photoshop magazine , really great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first one in your last post a lot, but there seems to be something going south down from the knees. The pose looks somewhat painful there and i can't tell whether she's standing on the rock or floating. That might be worth looking into. The skintones are pretty great btw, something i can definitely learn from. Cheers, and keep it coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fdjohan: Thank you.

Victor S.: Thanks; I had a blast writing that tutorial, I'll definitely write some more when I get the chance as well.

walnut: The first piece is a personal favorite of mine as well, lots of effort went into that one. You have a point regarding her stance; She is standing on the rock indeed. I had a harsh shadow on the rocks, but I seemed to have lost it after working on the rocks for so long, which gives the impression she might be floating - obviously not a good thing . I'll see if I can repaint it if I get the chance. I'm glad you enjoy the skin tones; I must admit I learned a great deal from Boris Vallejo in that regard, and I highly encourage anyone to study his works to see how he handles skin tones. He uses lots of saturated red and orange to bring life to his figures, which he contrasts with cooler tones on the more 'bony' areas to give a very believable result; Adding wildly different colors to the skin also helps (but you must be careful not to overdo this, as it might give the skin a muddy appearance).

Apollo and Daphne

The Greek Mythological tale of Apollo and Daphne was something I tried many times before to paint without much success... until recently. I felt like this story could make for some very interesting imagery, so I was very determined to get it finished. I put a lot of thought and work into the background in this one. In general I feel like I spend too much time concentrating on the figures during the painting process, so I tried to break that flow with this image, spending lots and lots of hours on the background alone. I created quite a few custom brushes for this one, specifically for the leaves on the background and grass in the foreground to help speed up the process, as well as obtain some very realistic textural effects as well. The tree's textures were a lot of fun to work on as well... and very, very time consuming, but I feel like I have a much more stronger and believable image because of it. Overall I'm quite satisfied with how this image turned out, and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stuff like your art keeps me doing art!! sick stuff! but the symmetry in some pieces is not that good... but I'm going to shutup cuz I'm farr away from your art level

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elyo11: Thank you You have a point regarding the symmetry, it is indeed off in some pieces. I could definitely benefit from flipping the canvas horizontally more often, but my cpu is a bit slow, so I do get a bit lazy in that regard... Looks like I need to upgrade soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Superman

This is my contest entry for 'Photo Reference For Comic Artist's' contest, in which they asked to paint a DC comic book character based on one of their photo references. I wanted to paint something iconic, so I went with Superman and chose a fairly straight forward pose. My goal with this image was to push the details as far as possible. I spent quite some time creating several brushes for this piece, such as the cloth texture, skin pores, etc. I feel this really helped bring the image to life, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results as well. Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lady gaia sounds like lady gaga to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work man. Your batman caricature rocks! Kudos.
    T.

"...I draw to appease the voices in my head, ...and I can't find a virgin to sacrifice. "

MY WEBSITE!

MY DA
    MY CA GALLERY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the apollo and Daphne piece, very interesting work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zerdron: Indeed

tariqart: Thanks, I had a blast working on the Batman caricature. I'm definitely going to be experimenting with more works in this style in the future, they're a lot of fun to paint!

tjh: Thank you, I spent a LOT of time on that image, so I'm glad you enjoy.

Below are two images I completed recently before the 'Superman' piece; I thought I already uploaded them here but it looks like I forgot - sorry about that. Here they are:

Leonidas

My brother, who poses for reference in many of my paintings, wanted me to paint him in a style that was similar to the movie '300'. Painting him in Spartan gear was a lot of fun, and a bit challenging as well. A lot of thought went into this piece, from the composition to the setting, and I feel I have a stronger piece of work because of that. I learned a lot about how colors work as well working on this piece. Overall I'm very satisfied with this one.

Asher

I promised a friend I'd paint something for her quite some time ago, but I never had the chance to until recently. The concept of this piece is her idea, so it looks quite different than my other works, but I was determined to paint it as close to her vision as possible, and I think I succeeded in that regard. The hardest part about this image was the hair - I generally dislike painting hair and view it as a challenge itself, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with how that aspect turned out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition and color of the 300 image are great, and it has an excellent 'breaking dawn' feel, but I have a few crits about the details. The back of the hand that is holding the spear looks a bit flat and lacking in contrast. It looks like it needs a few more shadows to define the form. The other crits are me being a weapon nerd, but have a look at some spear and shield reference. Your spear looks all made of one piece, which I don't think has ever been done historically. It also looks like the shaft is square, not round. Also, the straps for a circular shield are set at the middle line, for balance, and one of them is a handle that the hand grips.

Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nathan: I definitely agree with you on the hand, it is a bit flat at the moment. I'll see if I can fix that when I have some free time. Great feedback in regards to the shield and spear, they weren't very well studied I admit, and I could have benefited from studying some reference in that regard. Oh well, maybe next time

Thanks for your honesty and encouragement, always appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Olivia

This is a portrait of a very good friend. Olivia has always been supportive of me as an artist from a very young age, so I created this painting as a gift to her. I wanted to give this image a generally soft feel, so I avoided over detailing it and made a heavier use of softer brushes than I usually use. I'm happy with the results, and more importantly, Olivia is as well, so I consider this image a success in that regard.

Note: Olivia was not harmed during the making of this portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked "Black Bashi-Bazouk"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot of really nice work here! Don't be afraid to mix some more clearly defined edges and planes into your (esp) skin work, tho...when everything is smooth, smoothness loses its meaning.

Keep it up

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work, but this last piece is amazing, I love it great work.

My Barbarian rockstar piece comments are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why, but to me, things ar egetting better and better as I go down the page. My favourite is the joker one, and my least favourite one is the third picture. You should watch out for your wrist: make sure you define it. The man in that picture doesnt have a wrist.

Anyways, great stuff, keep on rockin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perfect works...Really!! Colors and light effects are used so properly. Can't give you any useful or practical advices~...it just out of my reach><...

Thanks for comeing my sketch book!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imnotanoob: Thank you, I learned a lot with that piece, glad you dig it

squidmonk3j: In general, I always render skin initially with only hard edged brushes, then I smoothen everything out with a soft brush. I guess I'm overdoing the later step, so I'll definitely go easy on that. Thanks for your honesty.

Angroc: Thanks for your critiques, you have a point about the lack of a 'wrist' on the third image, I'll see if I can fix that when I get the chance. Glad you enjoy my work, despite their flaws

QueenWorm: Thank you! Colors and lighting effects are my strongest points, so I'm glad it shows with these paintings As for advice, I would say tackle everything one step at a time. Practice daily if possible. Focus on values first (that is, paint only in greyscale so you have a better understanding on how to define form, how values work, etc), then start with colors later. Speedpaints are also a huge help as well, you'll improve ridiculously if you do them daily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lady Gaia and Dancing with the Devil are outstanding. I really like dancing with the devil though: really nice, very moody!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree, Lady Gaia is freaking awesome...... way to frame her with the moon.

Your other stuff is also completely amazing, keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Klaw: Thank you, had a blast with that piece. I really like experimenting with dark themes, so I'll definitely be doing some more work in this style in the future.

xerenity: Thanks, had a blast painting her (mostly for obvious reasons ).

Pin-Up Girl

This image came out of nowhere; Initially I started a caricature for a good friend, Athena, and eventually she gave me a different idea - a pin-up. Needless to say I was intrigued I studied lots of old classic Pin-Up paintings before I approached this painting to help convey the proper feel for this type of image, and I think that research definitely paid off. More importantly, Athena was very pleased with how this image turned out. Mission=success!

Special thanks to my friends and fellow artists Linda Wong and Henning Ludvigsen for their input as well.

Close Up

Thanks for looking. Constructive criticism is always welcome and appreciated

Last edited by cgaddict; April 11th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the latest. Classy work! Have you ever considered creating "nose art" for the military or SF modellers? If not PM me so I can give you some contact info in the US.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast