Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CHoW Discussions - Comments, Kudos, Gripes & Crits

Thanks
    NEW ROUND RULE: WIPS PLEASE!

When you submit your final in the finals thread, you must EITHER submit 2-3 wips as well, OR link us to your Wips in this thread. Thank you!!

~Daes

WIPS REQUIRED, CHAINS OPTIONAL
    We're very interested in your process - not just how you progress from one element from another in the course of your illustration, but why did you choose those elements to begin with? What were you trying to do? Why did it work, or not? Show us what you used for inspiration - be it a photograph, or someone else's work that you admire, or something you have - or did you just shoot from the hip after reading the Brief?

So, in the Finals thread, this is your chance to consolidate all of your ideas and talk about them. Review your own work - look at it critically and analyze it from an objective standpoint, and talk to us about it.

You can go as indepth as you want - this can be simply just the wips, or you can include the chains as well

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JUST A REMINDER PEOPLE:

YOUR FILE NAME ABSOLUTELY *MUST* READ AS FOLLOWS:
    "CHOW000_YOURNAMEHERE.jpg"

Please name your files correctly - or you'll be automatically disqualified from poll regardless of how good your piece is
    Last edited by S.C. Watson; September 9th, 2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: took out the "#" as it's not necessary

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What thread can I find all of the past CHOWs and their descriptions/ground rules for entries. I would really like to start at #1 and work my way up to the current rounds.There are quite a few that I read too close to the close or after the final polls were posted. SO, if anyone can let me know I'd really appreciate it!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Skrunchey:

First off you might want to check out the "Queen's Court" thread - in it is every single round and the image of the winner. Not all the entries have the details for the round, however. There is a complete list of winners (with all the rounds linked) in the "Chow Standings" thread. You might have to look a bit in there, but it *does* contain a link to every round, where you can find all the info on that particular round.

Or, you can go to the bottom of the screen and select "Sorted By: Thread Start Time", "From The: Beginning" and "Sort Order: Ascending".

This will give you all the chow threads from the very beginning, in order!

Good luck, and don't forget to post the results in the 'Chow Revisit and Revision' thread!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    I just want to say I love Concept Art and the the appreciate all the work that you mods put out for the folks here. It's a wonderful site!
    I'm learning tons. and CHOW and other "contest" are too cool
    and the entries are inspiration to us wannabes.
    ...now for the but.
    Chow #125 is a HORRIBLE concept for a challenge.
    IMO.
    I can understand it being a real assignment for a magazine or something. But the spirit of this forum, seems to me to be, FUN SF fantasy, kind of irreverent at times and definitely many have a darker bent, but... A child sacrifice?! or "the tears before the sacrifice" that seems (IMO) just bad taste, to say the least folks.

I'm not a griper
    but I had to get that said.

I have to agree with the SNL Church Lady on this one "Where did this idea come from? Satan!?!"
    Last edited by revelarts; September 8th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I didn't take part in CHOW 125 because I can't bear the thought of a child being hurt, and to do justice to the subject I would have to have gone into a dark place where I don't want to set foot.

But, you know what? That's a bit hypocritical of me. Bad things happen to good people all the time,- children included, and it comes from mankind.

I've done some research on Sheherezade today. There are echoes of the story in the Book of Esther, which has some of the most lyrical language in the Bible; it reads like a song.

I googled Persian Women, and came across stories about Iranian women and their struggle for equality. The images are disturbing to say the least. Satan's name comes from Sheytan, a class of Jinn. Mankind seems to exceed any Sheytan in demonic possibilities......

Anyway; if I was a professional and my AD asked for a pic of sacrifice, I'd just have to put my squeamishness aside. Life isn't all fairies and rainbows, sadly.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I just want to say I love Concept Art and the the appreciate all the work that you mods put out for the folks here. It's a wonderful site!
    I'm learning tons. and CHOW and other "contest" are too cool
    and the entries are inspiration to us wannabes.
    ...now for the but.
    Chow #125 is a HORRIBLE concept for a challenge.
    IMO.
    I can understand it being a real assignment for a magazine or something. But the spirit of this forum, seems to me to be, FUN SF fantasy, kind of irreverent at times and definitely many have a darker bent, but... A child sacrifice?! or "the tears before the sacrifice" that seems (IMO) just bad taste, to say the least folks.

I'm not a griper
    but I had to get that said.

I have to agree with the SNL Church Lady on this one "Where did this idea come from? Satan!?!"
    revelarts, Thanks for your opinions, they are appreciated.

Chow can be hit or miss at times with topics. The idea developed out of wanting to explore the Meso-American cultures some, which were historically some of the most brutal that I am personally aware.

I do not apologize for the topic selections, for two primary reasons - I have been asked to do illustrations of all kinds over the years. As a freelancer, you always have the right to pass on a project, and CHOW is no different.

And subject wise, it is was a historical topic based on the fact that children were sacrificed, on a regular basis, in not only Meso-American cultures, but the world over. Simply because a topic is uncomfortable does not mean that it is condoned - often quite the opposite. I am a father of two children, so I completely understand the parental pang when thinking about how someone could give their child over to be sacrificed. However, I will not turn away from something merely because it is uncomfortable, especially when it is a historical topic. Had this been a fantasy or science fiction topic, I would be more inclined to say that it was in poor taste. However, in my opinion, this provides us as artists an opportunity to explore something that we otherwise would not. The movie Schindler's List was an uncomfortable topic, but I do not consider it in poor taste. I hope that people participating in CHOW can understand the similarity.

And finally, it was specified at the beginning of the topic that there was to be no gore and that the character was to be shown prior to sacrifice. We felt that that would have been over the top and against the spirit of this particular round, and CHOW itself to handle it any other way. We wanted it understood right from the start that this was to be handled with some decorum and tact, and I think that was done by everyone that took part.

CHOW is about character exploration. Sometimes this means exploring the situation and the reaction that the character may have in those situations, and portraying it convincingly. And, sometimes, CHOW is about exploring our own character, and finding out what we're ultimately comfortable with, and how well we in turn handle those topics.

All the best,
    ~Oreg.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    agree with your post Oregano, exept for this:

"The idea developed out of wanting to explore the Meso-American cultures some, which were historically some of the most brutal that I am personally aware."

is not my intention to start an historical/culture debate, but: definitly meso americans cultures were not the most brutal not in that time and not trough human history. sacrifice were part of them yes, but also a lot of "civilized" behavior and traditions as well science. but in any case a topic can be hard and real...in my opinion that add variety and richnes to chow challenges.
    once in awhile is good to have historical and or literary characters.

thanks to the mods of this part of the forum, great work indeed.

Thanks
    =D Not to change the subject or anything but I thought I'd put in a nice little two cents. I've only gotten the pleasure to attempt two of the CHOWS as of yet, but I'm very happy with the decision to make more cuts and take it to the next level.

Seeing myself not succeed really kicked me into my senses and I'm happy for it! I've struggled a bit since coming here, I was very defensive at first, and now because of the CHOW's and growing in the interest of my fellow artists I'm more open and humble.

=D Keep doing what you're doing!! It can only get better from here without people underestimating something meant to challenge their artistic abilities!

Britty Brit (<-Me)
    Conceptart SB:My Sketchbook (updated

Deviant Art: I know I shouldn't.

I'll do my best!

Thanks
    my two cents

personally I think it was well handled by the mods and the entries it wasn't the most fun assignment I have done, there was a level of darkness involved,

but it makes people think.. question our history question or provoke certain emotions we would rather not face- isn't that what art is suppose to do.

Isn't a topic like that better than say bloody thirsty warrior queen because its not a glorification of violence rather an exploration and examination of a dark part of our human nature.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    I'm more comfortable in dark subjects, all these flowery ones are really pushing me! I liked the aztec one and I really want to keep participating in as many as I can to develop more knowledge of broad and different subjects I hadn't felt inclined towards.

Thanks to the organisers for putting in this effort as it's a great learning experience and, I actually hope for a few more dark subjects.

Thanks
    Personally I feel a chow like #125 (the Maya Boy) is too specific, that is to say there is only so much you can do with it. this kind of topics tend to go more towards illustration than actual character design.

Im sure this can be contradicted etc, but a maya outfit is a maya outfit. A space suit on the other hand or better yet a alien bounty hunter can be just about anything, and personally I think that's the joy of a open ended subject.

thanx
    /D
    Last edited by ikuru; September 14th, 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast