Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ikuru View Post
    Personally I feel a chow like #125 (the Maya Boy) is too specific, that is to say there is only so much you can do with it. this kind of topics tend to go more towards illustration than actual character design.

Im sure this can be contradicted etc, but a maya outfit is a maya outfit. A space suit on the other hand or better yet a alien bounty hunter can be just about anything, and personally I think that's the joy of a open ended subject.

thanx
    /D
    I'd have to disagree with you there. We know so little about mayan culture that there's plenty of room to wander around in.

Also, fashion is always diverse, no matter what time period or place - for example, imagine someone asking for "an american 1700-2008 outfit". You'd have a little trouble, right? Civilizations like the maya didn't just pop into being and disappear within one fashion decade!

We tend to think of those things as limited because our resources are limited, but that's what imagination is for! You can be sure that every piece of clothing the Egyptians wore didn't turn up in the hieroglyphs - why assume differently for the mayans?

Character isn't just about what the character is wearing, either. Faces, builds, attitude, emotion - all these things are part of it too! If CHOW was only about clothing, we'd just go ahead and call it Fashion Design of the Week.

I suppose this is where people get confused with illustration, because an illustration requires all those things too - but a good character design needs them as well! in an activity like this, where we only have *one* image to get the character across, this sometimes ends up in illustration, because it's the best way to get everything across. If we had a whole game, animation, or tv show to get the character across, things might turn out a little differently!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    deleted due to my stupid-blindness

Thanks
    Hey guys!

Just thought that I should probably mention that I'm going to be scarce around here over the next week, and probably a couple weeks after that (if not for the whole 2.5 months!)

I graduate tomorrow (aaaggghhh) and then on Sunday I will be leaving for New Zealand.

Oreg is going to have double the work for him next week, so I expect you all to behave.

See you around!

< 3

Thanks
    Congratulations and have fun!

Thanks
    dae and oreg... If you need a hand while you are gone.... just hollar. Im around.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Chaos, I'll keep that in mind.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Oh, congrats Daestwen! Have fun!

Thanks
    Hello everyone!

Of course, I want to start with my thanks, and about the great job you guys are doing, and how even participating a tiny bit in this contest has made me stretch my thought processes (hooray!)

My only request right now is that some of the images are fixed on the Our Queen & her Court thread, as many of the images don't load, or appear to have broken links (particularly the earlier ones)

o...and it would be nice if more people posted in the CHOW CULTURE - a resource for character design thread, but thats not really something you guys are responsible for : 3

Thanks for all your hard work!!!

Thanks
    I´m new here so I don´t have much to say (anyway, lots to learn :-) especially not taking things peronaly :-) )...for me this activity is great idea and it kick´s me and makes me work and draw regularly and improve, as I hope
    ...thanks to D & O

Just, as I´m reading, few sugestions:

1. Is this just for profesionals? If not, I dont agree with term ""Digital Color Junkies"...if I get it right, than in that term, the only good character is that one, that came up from hundreds of sketches...someone needs it, someone see pictures and can build it up in head...

2. it would be good idea, as few people wrote before me, to make 2 final pictures - 1st classsic research/props/ortho view and 2nd "anmospheric" picture - character its environment...and some wips as now...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    gothique - the ortho requirement is difficult, because when those rounds DO come up, people almost completely stop participating, even though they clamor for it to happen. There are ortho rounds periodically, and there is nothing stopping you from adding orthos to your WIP images.

And on the other count, the goal is pro work - for every participant to improve and push to achieve an image that one would expect to see in a professional working environment. Sloppy, unfinished work will never fly for getting jobs, and therefore doesn't fly in the CHOW - so color is encouraged, though not required, and more polish is always best (no pencil sketches, rendered work is preferable). It is not, however, limited to digital media - it is simply usually faster to make a digital piece than an oil painting, esp when the deadline is a week long. The media is up to you.

Thanks
    Rockman!: The Queen's Court is unfortunately as fixed as it's ever going to be, which is why I am such a harpy lately about using the attachment editor instead of img links. Many of those images have been lost to oblivion. When I fixed the thread initially, I pmed every single person that had won a round that didn't have an image in the thread. I heard back from maybe half. So i managed to save some, but then some told me that even *they* no longer had the image! So for the earlier rounds, I'm afraid it's a loss. As for the later rounds, if you see the words "attachment not approved", it's a glitch with the system I can't do anything about. The image is there, just isn't showing up, but hopefully they'll fix that soon.

Gothique: As Jessi said, Ortho's don't fly very well here, though we do rounds requiring them every once in a while. As for the professional question... To be honest, it totally depends. Chow is meant to inspire professional work, yes, but a round is totally dependent on it's entries. If you go back to some of the earlier rounds, you'll see what I mean. If the average ability of the people submitting entries is lower, then the bar is lowered. It's totally dependent on what we get.

Usually a chow round draws around 25-30 entries. For the last few weeks, though, we've been drawing between 60-70 a round! Not only that, but the quality (especially last round, my god) has been hitting the roof! A lot of professionals have been participating, so the bar has been set really high. I hope that people find this inspiring though, and should look at it this way:

It's kind of similar to applying to a job. Each entry in chow is a job application. Only one person gets the job. Only here, you get to see your competition and learn and grow from it, rather than just be hit with a rejection letter.

Kind of cool, huh?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, Quick Announcement!

As you may have noticed, Oregano decided to phase himself out of Chow in early December. He isn't gone forever, he just needs a break from this place for a while. I've been running it by myself for the last few months, but boy, you guys sure aren't making it easy! The last few weeks Chow has been ridiculously popular. :]

So, I'm enlisting a small amount of official help, from someone you know very well.

Poshspice has agreed to help me out around Chow.

I will still be doing most of it, but Posh will be helping me with doing the selection for poll, as well as helping me reply to PMs and the like (I'm starting to not be able to reply to all of them).

So please say Thank You to Posh for agreeing to help out, and treat him well! :]

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Daestwan, in addition to all the comments that we give each other in the CHOW, what do you think about requiring/encouraging someone for each CHOW round to do brief crits & comments on every entry? My idea was that the winner of the previous round, be given the "honor" of making comments for the next round.

I would just suggest that you do it, but I know how busy you are.

I only suggest this because I know some participants are feeling left out because their work doesn't get commented on very much. Not me of course... good heavens no.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23