CHoW Discussions - Comments, Kudos, Gripes & Crits - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CHoW Discussions - Comments, Kudos, Gripes & Crits

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tetrodotoxin: Weird? Because I used the Cow badges as the base, and they have the colour background and I just used exactly the same colour.

WOOPS totally figured out what i did wrong. okay, i think i can fix it....

Last edited by daestwen; April 4th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to do one of the latest rounds, but changed my mind when I noticed how much better stuff everyone else was doing. So I decided to use the CHOW winners thread for my personal studies... Meaning that I want to try and copy some of these masterful pieces in hopes of learning something valuable.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours copying CHOW 122: Red Sonja by bumskee. I was just wondering if I continue doing these, where should I post them if anywhere at all? I just would want these wonderful people to know how inspired I am by their work. Could I post them here or maybe the Revisit/Revision thread? Or maybe I should just send it in a PM to the person whose drawing I copied?

Most of all I really don't want anyone to be offended by this, so I thought I should at least ask here first before posting this stuff anywhere. I'm thinking I wouldn't want to post these outside of the CHOW forum, so if I can't post them here I'll just keep them to myself or settle with PMs. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Great Distance. If you're doing personal studies of artworks why not post them in your sketchbook. If you'd like the individual artists to see your work, PM them. Most will be only too happy to have a look, and I'm sure wouldn't be offended. Also putting a link to your sketchbook in your signature would get more traffic checking it out.

And please don't hesitate to enter ChOW. Although it's a mini-competition, it's about learning as well, which you're doing anyway, but hopefully you'd get good feedback on your WIPs as your entry progressed.

~Aly.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Distance View Post
    I tried to do one of the latest rounds, but changed my mind when I noticed how much better stuff everyone else was doing. So I decided to use the CHOW winners thread for my personal studies... Meaning that I want to try and copy some of these masterful pieces in hopes of learning something valuable.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours copying CHOW 122: Red Sonja by bumskee. I was just wondering if I continue doing these, where should I post them if anywhere at all? I just would want these wonderful people to know how inspired I am by their work. Could I post them here or maybe the Revisit/Revision thread? Or maybe I should just send it in a PM to the person whose drawing I copied?

Most of all I really don't want anyone to be offended by this, so I thought I should at least ask here first before posting this stuff anywhere. I'm thinking I wouldn't want to post these outside of the CHOW forum, so if I can't post them here I'll just keep them to myself or settle with PMs. Thanks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my sketchbook is well out of date by now... But maybe I'll consider it. Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully I'll be able to gather the courage to participate after some studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pursuant to the CHOW 159 thread, I would just like to say that if Marco does not post his final illo, he's yella' bellied!

get a rope!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys.
    Awesome going with the chows as usual.
    I was just wondering if theres any way you can get people to post all their artwork in one post which they edit to post updates in the wip threads. Alot of people already do this and it would make browsing the thread so much more easier and neater.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lilnebo View Post
    hey guys.
    Awesome going with the chows as usual.
    I was just wondering if theres any way you can get people to post all their artwork in one post which they edit to post updates in the wip threads. Alot of people already do this and it would make browsing the thread so much more easier and neater.
    Thanks
    Thanks! It's something I've requested people do in the past, but it's difficult to enforce. Often peeps don't go back to the start of a thread to view early posts, so when they update want others to see their latest WIP and comment on it, henceforth they make a new post. If there was a simple way to do this believe me, we would!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as the discussion between illustration and character design continues, i would like to make a suggestion, or maybe present a question or two.

why not have part of the required entry be a model sheet or something? i see that this has been used officially in at least one past Chow, so why not make it mandatory, so as to put a little more emphasis on the design aspect?

in my head i'm thinking of the format for the Dominance war character challenge currently going on, where they provide wips, a model sheet, and a complete illustration(i think). i doubt the little extra effort would really scare anyone away from chow.

i suppose it could only help, make those who just rush into an illustration really think about the design of their character first.

has this already been consiedered? I'm pretty new to chow, so i don't know what's been tried and what hasn't. i just think it would make for a more complete design process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the chance to look through peoples portfolios a couple of weeks ago, and I was quite surprised to see that most people had Nothing but super polished full blown illustrations... It wasn't hard to tell most of these had taken many hours to produce (if not weeks and maybe sometimes even months).
    This might be fine if you want to specialize on front covers or marketing art, but to work as a concept artist u really don't need to polish your art to that level most of the time. Almost never. No studio could afford that kind of polish. And its not like the 3D guy needs it to model etc...

Developing a character your gonne be doing loads and loads of thumbnails, silhouettes, B/W etc, filling up sheet after sheet, and then taking it from there in to something semifinal, trying out variations and colors until your design is tried and tested. Then u might be doing an orthograph (front view, side view and maybe a back view etc), u also might be doing some action sheets with different poses and such, information for the 3D guy. Finally u might end up doing some speed paintings with Backgrounds, or even some fleshed out (polished) game concept art.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, design and character design is far more than a well rendered picture, a well rendered picture might be well rendered to hide the fact there isn't much there to begin with.

Good creative design comes from trial and error.

Anyhow...
    Maybe there could be some mandatory rules about thumbnails and thumbnail sheets? I know the ortho stuff can be off putting to some, but I do think the creative process of actually thumbnailing and sketching should be embraced more.

There is more to it than underwear and Uzi's .

The book "the Skillfull huntsman"
    I think its a great example of a creative process on how to reach good concept.
    Thanks.

Last edited by ikuru; June 2nd, 2009 at 12:01 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikuru For This Useful Post:

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikuru View Post
    Anyhow, maybe there could be some mandatory rules about thumbnails and thumbnail sheets?
    Sounds good. I would also suggest head thumbnails showing various expressions from various angles (because standard orthos so often end up with blank mugs).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

But but but... I liiiiiiike panties. ;_;

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the chance to look through peoples portfolios a couple of weeks ago, and I was quite surprised to see that most people had Nothing but super polished full blown illustrations... It wasn't hard to tell most of these had taken many hours to produce (if not weeks and maybe sometimes even months).
    This might be fine if you want to specialize on front covers or marketing art, but to work as a concept artist u really don't need to polish your art to that level most of them time. Almost never. No studio could afford that kind of polish. And its not like the 3D guy needs it to model etc...

Developing a character your gone be doing loads and loads of thumbnails, silhouettes, and B/W etc, filling up sheet after sheet, and then taking it from there in to something semifinal, trying out variations and colors etc etc until you design is totally tried and tested i to a solid character, then u might be doing an orthograph (front view, side view and maybe back view), u also might be doing some action sheets with different poses and such, information for the 3D guy. Finally u might end up doing some speed paintings with Back Grounds etc, or Even some more fleshed out Game Concept art.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, design and character design is far more than a well rendered picture, a well rendered picture might be well rendered to hide the fact there isn't much there to begin with.

Anyhow, maybe there could be some mandatory rules about thumbnails and thumbnail sheets? I know the ortho stuff can be off putting to some, but I do think the creative process of actually thumbnailing and sketching should be embraced more.

The book "the Skillfull huntsman"
    I think its a great example of a creative process on how to reach good concept.
    Thanks.
    Hey Ikiru,

We've tried this one more than one occasion, but for whatever reason it doesn't quite work with Chow. I personally like the idea of multiple views of the character's face, but not everyone is going to have the time or the interest to do that.

We've found that it is best to let the individual artist decide how they are going to submit their piece. No where is it required that anyone provide a fully rendered illustration. A complete image, yes, but not necessarily fully rendered. The more illustrative pieces are certainly fun, but a more conceptual piece won't get kicked from poll just because it is a conceptual piece.

Artist are free to submit their work however they see fit in any chow, every week.

For example, if you want to do orthographic views for your character for this week's chow - go for it.

And thank you for the book recommendation!

Best,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lilnebo View Post
    It would be neater for later browsing indeed, but wouldn't it break the thread of comments on revisions?
    In the critique center or wip forum people use to update the first post, sometimes deleting the previous stages of their wip, which renders all comments useless for later reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    people can always link to their post (the number in the corner of a post is the link to the post) , and keep all their art in one spot, but I'm guessing this is pretty hard to enforce.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not mentioning you would have to keep track of revision numbers to link them to the comments
    If all the attachments are kept inside the bottom rectangle instead of inlined with numbers written it gets even harder to know which one is being talked about in a post five pages later.
    The only clean solution would be to have a thread for each entry, but this means creating a new sub-sub-forum for each CHOW. Too much work I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think is not really that difficult to make a single post in my opinion.
    It shows the wips and the progress of the work in a more cohesive way allowing viewers to easily track changes and therefore make comments or critics without having to search the different stages in all the pages of the thread.Also is good to keep our own process and methodology of work, for personal improvement and learning experience(this a personal belief of course)

I usually follow this pattern:

first post with the sketch of the work.
    ------------------------------------------------

edit01: "description and comments of the new wip"

"image"
    --------------------------------------------------

edit02: "description and comments of the new wip"

"image"
    ---------------------------------------------------

...and so on. Of course this is a personal preference.

anyway just a thoughts.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DIMAGYAN - I agree, the process is not difficult, but getting people to do it is another matter. I tend to do a similar thing to you, in the way I update. In the end ChOW has lots of things to keep track of, so chasing people to update in one post would be a lot of work.

~Aly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poshspice:yes, i know.I wasn't implying that you, S.C. Watson or Daestwen should enforce people to do that kind of updates or keep track of every post.Sorry if my previous comment sounded that way it's very clear that running this activities take a lot of work.More of anything i wanted to share my view on the topic and the possible beneficial results of that practice, but just as an opinion for the persons that find that kind of updates difficult or complicated.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I'll proceed that way, but maybe I'll remind about my post once in a while when I post comments about people's wips, otherwise nobody will notice I'm piling updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mind people posting progress, and keeping it clean with comments, what I do find annoying however is sometimes, people will post wip after wip again and again (with out any major progress to be seen) all over the page, like huge and craving for attention.

But yeah, I think you guys enforced people to keep it clean at some time, and I dont recall how that worked out, although I'm sure one could get used to it.

It seems to work pretty well in the final thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! ChoW now has an official twitter page if you want direct updates about it, plus notes on what chow artists are up to, at http://twitter.com/CharWeekly . If you see a chow piece that has been published, please @CharWeekly and I'll let everyone know. I'd like to keep track of all of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed something that could use improving, I'm guilty of this as well is that often many people post updates wanting feedback but don't give any. How about if a rule was added which would be displayed along with all the other rules but not officially enforced. Something like this:

"This rule is not enforced but it is HIGHLY encouraged that you critique the 5 artworks before yours with each update you post."

My thoughts on this would be that some people would catch on and follow it, some wouldn't, so even maybe half the people do it, everyone should get a crit or two with each update. And 5 is a nice small number that it wouldn't take much time to do. There are times when people go through chow and only get 1-2 comments the entire time and we could be learning and helping each other alot more than we are.

I'm going to try to start doing this anyway, hopefully it would catch on wheather its made a rule or not

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amber Alexander I think it's a great idea, something to motivate my lazy a$$ to do some critique. the thing with me is that when i start critique, I feel that I need to critique everyone, I feel bad leaving people out... But i normally won't post anything until later (around thursday or Friday), and by the time, tons of people has already post their stuff and critique every single one of them is just too much... So... I end up doing nothing...

I guess if it's "strongly encouraged" to critique at least 5, then I won't feel guilty of leaving people out... and I'll probably end up offering some comments. Anything is better than nothing~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amber:

We're looking to do a revision/overhaul/cleaning up of the rules/regulations of chow in the near future so we'll keep it in mind. :]

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Amber:

We're looking to do a revision/overhaul/cleaning up of the rules/regulations of chow in the near future so we'll keep it in mind. :]
    Very cool thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember Team CHOW? The winners were The Howling Loveboys. I recall being utterly blown away by their art, but can only find a couple of their images, as the VOTING thread seems to have a lot of no-show images. Any chance someone could repost the images in question? The finals from "The Howling Loveboys"
    In addition: Next TEAM CHOW. When is it?

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope I don't get flak for my tl;dr attitude *cringe* BUT...

...is there going to be a non-team CHOW next week? I'm new to CHOW and sort of new to the community here so I don't know who I could team up with, but I really want to get involved in CHOWness and submit here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtaggar View Post
    I hope I don't get flak for my tl;dr attitude *cringe* BUT...

...is there going to be a non-team CHOW next week? I'm new to CHOW and sort of new to the community here so I don't know who I could team up with, but I really want to get involved in CHOWness and submit here.
    Yes. The normal weeklies will resume on the 3rd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen
    Yes. The normal weeklies will resume on the 3rd.
    Thank you Daestwen!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Round 200 is coming up and I'm looking to update / clean up the rules for that anniversary.

One of the ones I'm thinking about in particular is removing the wips from the final burning thread, and instead making it mandatory to post at least one wip in the wips thread. (Even if you do this after you submit your final, that's fine, it's basically the same as the wips rule, just cleaning up the final burning thread a bit.)

Thoughts?

Do you like having the wips in the final burning thread where you can see process?

Or would you rather just see the finished work?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25