TV Playing in the Background. GOOD or EVIL?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: TV Playing in the Background. GOOD or EVIL?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TV Playing in the Background. GOOD or EVIL?

When I draw, I usually have the TV playing in the background. Would you consider this a good or bad thing? I know a lot of people say they like listening to music while they draw but for some reason, it doesn't work out so well for me. It is better than pure silence but it doesn't keep me going for long hours. I'll get tired and stop very quickly while TV playing in the background let me sit at my drawing table 6 hours straight yesterday. Now... I'm not even sure if this is good or bad because on one hand, it lets me enjoy sitting there all day but I'm not very sure whether it's slowing down my mind absorbing the drawing I'm doing because of a visual distraction.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a huge distraction to me--I don't even like it playing in another room. Either I constantly stop working to look up and watch it, or I can't concentrate. The only time I can use it during art is when I'm sculpting.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tn100 View Post
    When I draw, I usually have the TV playing in the background. Would you consider this a good or bad thing?
    If it works for you, it's a good thing for you.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally hate it. And I mean HATE it. I distracts the f*ck outta me.
    But I know cats like Coro and Kemp don't mind it at all. Probably even enjoy it.
    Elwell's right. Ultimately it's whatever works for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate it as well. Like Mirana, I have to stop and watch what's going on. I don't mind that it's on at the other side of the house, though.
    Personally, I love listening to classical music while drawing. Loud music distracts me.

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A TV playing in the FOREGROUND is evil. In the background - well, words just escape me!

Still, the first thing many folks do when entering a room is turn on the TV, and then go about their business. Personally, I can't stand it, but if it works for you - go for it!

I don't have cable - can you tell?

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always have it on in the bg. (Well, sometimes I just listen to music).

I really like being able to dart my eyes back and forth between the TV and computer. Takes longer to draw something, but I find I am MUCH less frustrated with the process itself when I have bg noise.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot work with the TV on. But if you were to take one reply from this thread and forget about it, take what Elwell said.

EDIT: Not that I ever watch TV anyway. I simply can't find anything interesting on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often sketch while watching a DVD (don't have cable either), which can get a bit interesting when the show I am watching is in a foreign language and I have to read subtitles .

Other times, especially if I'm working on digital work, I may play music. I really all depends on the mood I'm in...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer to listen to music, it helps get me in the moment. TV just distracts me. On the other hand I know people have said that a movie that relates to what they are working on play in the background really help get them in the right mindset and I can understand that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have a TV where I draw, but I sit in front of the computer, turn on a DVD and watch it. It really helps me with its background noise. However, it must be something I watched before, or else it's a major distraction.

I watched "What Women Want" over 4 times this way, while drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It definitely looks like lovable music is totally whooping the negative response to the background TV so I'm going to give music some more tries. Maybe I just wasn't listening to the right type of music. I'm not sure why a movie in the background does it for me but I still worry about it slowing me down. I do take short breaks during good parts of a film so that may or may not be good... I do agree with the post above me about the film being a movie I have already watched before though. It's a lot better because you don't become curious about what's happening since you already seen it. It just becomes background noise that puts you into an artistic mode.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like to work with tv on the background, but only with something that doesn't distract me too much - video clips, bad soap operas etc.
    otherwise I wouldn't concentrate.

http://www.aniboom.com/radiohead/

animated music video competition!

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no Good or Bad, k maybe terrible anime.. but, if you prefer to draw like this, and it keeps you drawing for 6 hours straight, it would be your preference, its a personal thing.

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny that someone asks about this because last night, I was drawing while watching Jurassic Park. I think I did okay, but I kept saying things like, "You didn't say the magic word, We got Dodgson here, and clever girl."

Most of the time though I'll either draw in silence or while listening to music.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People are just different. Some like it, others don't. It's only bad if it's hindering your outcome of work.

I like to listen to music (classical or soft music) as it effects me emotionally, and in return that emotion effects the paint stroke to some degree. I also paint better when i'm wrapped up in some mental cocoon where I feel i'm the only person in the world, and having that calming music pumped into my ears helps to create that isolated effect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to watch DVD's, and I only put on DVD's that I've watched a couple of times. This let's me feel okay ignoring the movie most of the time, because I don't need to follow the plot.

However; I try to avoid putting on anything visual when I'm starting a piece. It's one thing if you're spending hours shading but quite another if you are trying to conceptualize.

In terms of music, I like it a lot but sometimes it doesn't satisfy the part of my brain that's not in use when I'm drawing (or whatever). Often in this case I listen to the news, books on tape or radio dramas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watch super sentai while drawing... It is probably bad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its always going to personal but if you do them both a few times and really concentrate on what difference it actually makes you will get the best answer. I used to do it all the time and have found it is very very distracting when I am trying to do things in a certain way.

For example I am currently working on Loomis head construction and with the TV on I ended up just copying shapes and not thinking about the actual 3D construction or learning very much. I can be more 'turned off" doing the former but the latter needs more concentration and it definitely had a major effect.

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if it works for you, good. I have no problem with a TV in the background, unlike music, especially when there's no one home. If I don't have a TV, some random series playing minimized works too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Works for me sometimes. I usually listen to things on the computer though because headphones cancels out other sounds that bothers me.

Whatever works for you.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Evil - I watch TV if I want to watch something. Don't understand people who use it as moving wallpaper.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TV is 'evil' for me whatever I do at any time of the day. But watching YouTube vids (Let's Plays or the occassional Movie) usually works well; They distract a bit from painting, which is why I prefer music for that type of work, but sketching is great with something to watch on the side c:

Please take a look at my Sketchbook! <- Comments are highly appreciated and returned C:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often have some tv show or movie, which I've seen already, running in the background when I'm doing something relatively mindless like rendering or sketching. Because I know the plot already I can allow myself to not really listen.. it just becomes some kind of advanced background noise. I wouldn't recommend doing that for more important things like figuring out compositions, designs, color schemes etc. because that stuff should require your full attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes, I'll have it on just to kill the loneliness ;_;

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand questions like this. If this is working for you and an awesome artist says it doesn't work will you stop?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, do what works for you.

Personally I prefer to have either the TV or some music on. I find concentrating in silence to be a rather tense experience and get distracted when noises appear (Car alarms, dogs barking, people walking by, and so forth).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    I don't understand questions like this.
    Me neither.

It's just such an odd thing to ask. Why would someone care whether people think it's a good or bad thing to have a television on while drawing?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.