Tentative Line Art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tentative Line Art

The idea behind this one is my own interpretation of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. This one will be Conquest (The white horse)

I want to have a sense of power behind this one, hence my attempts at worms eye perspective.

These lines will be gone from the final piece, so they don't need to be ultra refined, but I do want to have a very strong idea of what I'm doing before I get into shading or colour, and wanted to get some opinions on it as-is before I start deciding on details.

I am very pleased with the poses that my characters are in, but I'm not entirely sure about my horse-woman's leg. It feels a bit too femininely posed, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm also not so sure about the spear. I like the idea, but is it a bit too cheesy?

As for the horse, I have had a friend who is pretty familiar with horses, and who is also an artist, take a look and give me some suggestions. We refined it to this, but if anyone here is knowledgable about horse anatomy, I'd love to hear what you think.

I don't want to rush this one. I'm in love with the idea, so I'm trying to be careful and not jump in too deep, too soon. Critique is appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scarypoppins; April 13th, 2008 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Attached image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should post the image on the forum. In photobucket it's the last code you're given.

no matter what you do it's always going to look awkward and wrong with something foreshortened STRAIGHT at you. You need more information on the object for it to makes sense- this isn't reality and things need to be more instantaneously recognizable. It (the spear) also creates a nasty vertical parallel to the canvas- this makes the image more static.

her anatomy seems overlooked. While it is nice that you went for a mood you need to make sure the figure makes sense. Here I would advise you fill in the muscles from anatomy references to makes sure you've got it all there and working right. I realize she's supposed to be looking down on us, but her head still feels a little small. In fact i think her proportions are completely blown- you should check them.

The horses anatomy is shaky as well. I'm not quite understanding what's going on with the front foot/hoof- it's not fully up in reared position and it's not touching the same ground plan as the back legs. You're in between and it's creating a little bit of confusion as to the horses intentions and likely taking away some dynamic elements that would be intensified if the horse were even less parallel with the canvas.

you do have some nicer line qualities, in the tail for example.

Alrighty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attach the image directly using the attachment manager. Many people won't bother clicking on a link. (edited: oops Quigleyer beat me to it.)

I think the horse woman's leg seems natural and not too femanine. She looks very balanced on the horse. But you may want to change her position slightly if you're going to give her a saddle because then her feet would be in stirrups and that would be a rather unnatural and dangerous position for her foot to be in with a stirrup.

I like the spear, but I think the spear head should probably be even larger considering how close it is to the viewer.

I think most of the problems here are with the horse. His head, most specifically his jowl area, is too small for his body. His position is unbalanced so that he looks like he is falling. And his feet are too large and not shaped properly. His chest muscles are attaching to his neck incorrectly(his neck should fit between the muscles you've drawn not behind). And the top curve of his neck is misplaced so that his neck is bending unnaturally and not convincingly. His legs seem a little short for the thickness of his body, almost like a pony. Do you have reference? If you don't it would help you worlds. You seem to be drawing what you think a horse looks like without a lot of knowlege of what one actually looks like.

I really like the idea and the flow though. I'm just obsessive compulsive about horse anatomy. :p Keep going with this!

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I just realized that my horse anatomy crit probably didn't help oodles without a pic. So here is a paintover to give you the general idea. I can't do better because I only have a mouse to draw with and I"m awful with a mouse. Sorry. But it should give you a general idea of what I was talking about. Sorry it's so scribbly. I lack any and all coordination with a mouse.

If someone could come along and do a respectable paintover so I can take my scribble mess down I'd be really really grateful.

Last edited by MyOrangeHat; April 13th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I definitely need to get a boyfriend or something. This is not the most action packed of Saturday nights, flipping through animal anatomy books for the right horse ref.

Anyway I found a couple that might help:

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, thanks to both of you. I appreciate you guys taking time to help me.

Second, here is where I'm at now. I'm really trying to show (through lineart, to beat it all) how low the perspective is in this, and having some issues.

I changed up the legs. Unbent them some. I just scrapped the front leg, as I wasn't fond of it anyway, and made it match in a more classic rearing position. I tried to illustrate how much of the underside of the horse is being shown as well...

Thank you for scanning the horse anatomy pages, orangehat. That helped in restructuring the legs quite a bit. As for the head being too small, and the feet being too large... perhaps my perspective is just reading badly as a front-on view? Maybe that was just a misunderstanding. If not, then I'll correct it... but since the viewer is closer to the feet, and the head is so much further away, well, you get the idea. Right?

Anyway, this is the revised edition :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok- while I understand what you're trying to do with your foreshortening and perspective It's still not there yet. The placement of certain things is quite crucial when you're trying to foreshorten the body like you're doing... Here's a quickie before I go to bed:

We're seeing a lot of the anatomy as we would were her body not foreshortened. In fact I think the upper halves of your anatomy on both elements of your line drawing (that is-horse and rider) are reading far better in the perspective/foreshortening area than the lower halves. The knee cap placement is extremely crucial here. If you want to have it as though the viewer were looking up we couldn't see the top of her knee cap as we can now and more of the front of her shin would be showing. I think the leg needs to come AT us more as well, though not to the extent of the spear! (by the way- I still stand by what I said before- I think you should slightly change the angle of that spear.) I would definitely suggest the use of photo reference as assistance for this.

I also still think that the overall anatomies could be more tight. It's what's in-between that makes the contour make sense.

good luck and have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.