Lion Guy WIP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lion Guy WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lion Guy WIP

Updated this guy with a new image. Is there another way to update your thumbnail besides editing your post?

Still working on some things here, mainly developing an idea about the background and how it would tie into a lion humanoid character.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Weazle; April 16th, 2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Wanted to update the thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no offense intended, of course, but this painting says to me: I don't want to draw hands right off the bat. You've completely left one out of the composition, something i'm never too wild about and the other tells me absolutely nothing about the form or anatomical structure that belongs to a hand.

other than the hand nothing bothers me about the composition, save for maybe the odd tangent created when the end of the tail meets the end of his right arm (our LEFT).

seriously- looking again- i can't stress anatomy enough on this one. his knee, bent forward meets up perfectly with his arm, facing straight down without any foreshortening or mention of a bicep. his forearm to OUR right is extremely short in comparison to his other, and in relation to the overall believable anatomical form.

While this IS a monochromatic painting you can easily add some violets in there for additional contrast. Monochromatic paintings can be done with an array of colors, despite it's name.

He has hightlights on left and right and on his knee, telling me lighting ISN'T coming from behind (due to the knee) to the left (due to the right highlight) not from the right (due to highlight on the left).

look at your anatomy, study your light, draw from life, and have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lion or Monkey?

Quigleyer--Thanks for critique. All of it was right on the money of course. The hands not being there happened out of that awkward kneeling pose I had going on and then running out of canvas. Fixed some of that and added some purple. Wow what a big difference one additional color adds. Still working on him but wanted to post an update.

Decided I wanted to add some background and give this guy a story but undecided about it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm game.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new version is cool as hell. I love the way he looks at the camera. His expression is so blasé.

did you mean story 'background' or a painted 'background', either way...

I imagine him sitting on a bench at a bus/train station next to a suited business man type, who is gasping at him in a frightened shock. lol

Or you could have an energetic lion man cub (toddler) climbing over him, biting his ear demanding attention.

Or if you were going for something more serious, maybe have him sitting on a rock taking a rest with his sword and shield resting against the rock.
    Or put a stick in his hand poking a fire.

I love it, keep it up

Last edited by crumpy; April 11th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alrighty

what a difference a day makes!

I know this is a work in progress, but don't forget to make the shadows look transparent by adding subtle lighter and darker areas in them. They model the form in plain light, like i imagine he's in right now, just as much as the light areas do.

I really like your subtle violets now, they're telling me a lot more about the form than just darker browns and oranges. You might want to play with some subtle reds as well, but careful not to go too crazy and make it look like the sun is setting. try it out on a new layer and see how it works for you- you can always delete the layer later.

your hands look MUCH better, but I would still suggest tightening the one on his knee up a little. If you have a camera get down in that post and do that with your hand- use it as a reference. It doesn't seem to be falling too naturally across his knee, and I think the reference would also help you with that overall arm- which is still in much better shape than you had it the first time.

also- your knee is looking kind of ball-ish. Remember, you can sculpt the knee with about three main planes and fom there.

I rather liked the up-close cropping job you had last- just wasn't a fan for the things that were cropped out. I suppose since it's already like this you should see what you're doing with his tail, then maybe try to crop it more closely and see how you like it.

I still say lion, and not monkey- mainly due to the main job . Alright man- have fun.

EDIT: I would also suggest trying to update the thumbnail on this thread once you've cropped it how you like it, or start with a background (just because it seems like a lot of negative space right now). A stronger image in your thumbnail will generate more views and overall better critiques from the likes of kev ferrera and elwell and people like that.

Last edited by Quigleyer; April 11th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crumpy- LOL!! You are killing me. I love all those ideas! Everytime I look at him now I see a different story. Thanks man!

Quig- Is alright if I call you Quiq? Appreciate the help man. Gonna try to put something in there to fill up that negative space then put it back out to see if I can drum up some more feedback. Your critiques have been most helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok youve got some skills but never ever ever ever EVAR start a picture like that...you can see the flaws from starting a picture like from the start. Good work tho take care of the anatomy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update. Still trying to figure out a background. I have to say that is an area of considerable opportunity for me. So any advice would help.

Thanks Brashen. I have an issue with sticking with images for long periods of time. I get bored easily and my mind drifts off to other ideas. If I put something on the boards then it motivates me to improve the idea because others are evaluating it. I promise though to not ever put something that bad on the boards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean about sticking to stuff. I have the same problem staying focused on one peice and I have block out everything so i can concentrate.

heres my to cents on the update,

his tail is supporting the staff on the wrong side, its about to fall over.

his body needs more contrast (?), his face is better but the rest needs more.

I'd like to see a seperate light source to, just to add a bit of intrest. a camp fire shining from the bottom right mabye?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on the tail and tried to bring a little more contrast to him overall. Still think it could be pushed further. Can't say I'm crazy about the background. I tried to keep the colors on the cool side to help contrast with his warm colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately I’m not really worthy of offering technical advice as I pretty much know nothing but I can still suggest ideas so....

I'm not sure what the grey things in the background are, trees? They defo need more work.

The guy’s fur could look more textured, maybe a bit more muscle definition also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Changed up the background. How do you guys feel about this one? I know it's a bit more simple but thought it added weight to the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pose man
    but the background white is slightly distrubing
    anyway u didn't finish that .I hope it comes nice. Nice conscept,
    try to add some props,because lion is king of jungle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iniyan- Thanks for looking. Still thinking about some more props. We'll see.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.