Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SouMeng's Sketchbook

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SouMeng's Sketchbook

Hi all!

that's it i've finally gathered some courage to post!
    I'm 19 and in the beginin of the year i found out that in my school there was a wacom, so the first part of my posts will be devoted to the stuff i did from that period to the moment when i bought one of my own. So if you wanna see what ive been doing lately go to the last pages once iv updated. Anyway great pleasure being here and everyone feel free to post crits and comments.

Here we go with the first thing i finished during winter...

Similar Threads
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SM; April 28th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ohaeri is offline Cranky? Yep, that's me. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah O_O nice reflective surfaces, you did a great job on those . . . and the coloring.

Only crit I have is that the grey areas with the vents look a bit flat; maybe either tone them down a bit so that they don't pop out as much or shade them a bit more? Just a suggestion though, and this is way better than I can do. Great job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's more old stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my! really stop posting i'm overwhelmed.I just can't be bothered to reply to y'all! lol!
    Lol.. The ration of comments to pics here is like... 10 pics 1 comment... get posting dude, people will comment if they see something they like, its no reflection on you they are all just busy doing their own images ;-)

Nice enviros so far, tho they are lacking a mina focal point and i feel you could use the elements to your advantage, such as a tree branch pointing to a distant element, or a contrast in color and texture to draw the eye.. keep posting ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some pieces i did more recently.
    The perspective in the last one is not quite right but i dont know when ill fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool enviros here, dude! I especially love your color use and I envy your textures. Keep posting!
    (And you're only nineteen - jeez, I feel old )

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new one i've done lately, i'm still workin on it...
    Open to crits and comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NIICCE onion

cheerio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are really beautiful pieces of work here, I think u could sharpen a little more every shape, to get some detail, but I love ur studies of light and come of ur enviroments, beautiful colors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!! i liked them when i did them (just a few hours ago) and now that it comes to posting them i just want want to remove them all...

First and second one are no ref paintings, the three others are landscapes studies (yeah it doesnt show, lol).
    Hope i'm gonna do better next week...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn it man, awesome colors! those environments kick major butt and i really like the fruit studies. show us some more if you will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This landscapes are awesome - nothing wrong with them imho. The second one is just too cool to be a no ref one . I also love the clouds on the fourth one. How much time did you spend on them? Were these drawn with photoshop?

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your enviorments are starting to looks better, the studies didn't turn out like masterpieces, but don't stress it, they still did their job!

Nice colors on Forest.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'M just worn out! Its 5h am here and iv'got to go to school in like 3hours and i havent slept yet!!
    Well the first two pics are no ref paintings done today in PS (actually i only work on PS) and for the last one i just took the grape i had in my fridge and
    I'm sorry that i had to rush the painting by the end but i knew i wouldn't be able to have the grape in the same position a second time, moreover iv really got to sleep now...

here it is, hope u like it...

PS: Oh thanks a lot Lakka, i nearly forgot u!!
    PS2: The fourth attachment is a few steps of the grape for anyone who cares!

Last edited by SM; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'v just finished this a minute ago and i must admit im curious to know what u guys think of it...
    The kind of demon is just a pretext, at the start i was just sketching some crap in PS with some brushes i made and got carried away.
    The demon's face was so fugly that i decided to put a hood on it, actually his face was symmetric, "anatomic" and everything but he was just looking so stupid that i really had to hide a part of it.
    Anyway here it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff i did yesterday and today.
    Three first ones are no ref doodles and brush experimentation and the four last ones are just landscape studies. right now the only thing i still like is the lava study but here there are all for update's sake...
    Feedback requested!

Last edited by SM; June 2nd, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work my friend...its hard when you don't get the encouraging posts to keep working but in all honesty....you aren't doing anything majorly wrong and as said before, the number of comments doesn't reflect a lot!

With the demon/brushes one you were curious about...I like where its going but I find my eye leads to the guy, and he just isnt that interesting - cover up more of him with the cape and make it organic and mysterious, and it could work better with what you have. Nice change of direction in studies though.

Environment studies are quite nice, they will go far (as you've shown) when it comes to your own creations! You're aware of hard vs. soft edges and it shows - keep using them since they are super important. Do you just use a brush or two for your foliage?

Rocul is offline Trying to improve faster Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!!! I love your colors and your textures!! you're a master over them, I have to ask, how do you do those textures?

My Sketchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hedburg
    This one guy said, "Look at that girl. She's got a nice butt." I said, "Yeah, I bet she can sit down excellently!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some very nice stuff. a little tip for digital painting: put more detail in the focal point and less around it.
    i'll keep an eye on you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanx a bunch for posting here!! appreciate it a lot!
    Well:
    Jakers: No prob about the few comments, it saddens me a second and encourages me to work twice as much harder for the next day's update!! I quite agree with u about the monster/brush thingy but i sure wont fix it, i really dont like it anymore. I even thought i could remove it but i wouldn feel right about it moreover if i go down that road i'll be tempted to remove more than one...
    Oh i wanted to ask u, where is ur avatar from?
    makes me smile everytime (i dig GOW, just cant wait for the third!!)
    Hmm, hard and soft edges problems are something i didnt pay attention to before, but lately i've realised how lethal they can be for a pic (one of my landscapes on the first page, april 20th, is an eyesore coz of the bad edges control)
    About foliage, yes i use custom brushes, most of them are M@'s but once i fixed the color for the top leaves for instance i also took a small size round brush and gave some brushstrokes with that blueish green to simulate more leaves lightened by the blue sky. At a low res u can mistake them for leaves (not if u zoom in) but sure brushes did much o'the work... thanx again for the compliments.

Rocul: thanx for the compliment im flattered but i fear ur wrong, i've got too much to learn to be a master!! What textures are u talking about exactly?
    In most situation, custom brushes are quite useful for textures though i try not to rely too much on them. I've also got a few tips i've learnt by observing M@'s technique (i could share them if anyone requests) im total fan of him.

Chupacabra: Wow last but not least!! Totally dig ur lines man, and ur perspectives makes me feel dizzy, ive decided id' soon go and look at all the pages of ur sketchbook. Thnx for the tip, overdetailing and overrendering everything is a damn bad habit im tryin to shrug off but its a tough one!
    Thanx for keeping an eye on me, hope we'll have a good laugh looking back at these first pages in a few month!!

Here's todays stuff:
    The three first ones are ref paintings, the torso's still a wip, and the one with colors was just for fun. The two last ones are no ref paintings done a few ours ago.
    Hope u like them!
    I'm off to bed
    Cheers!

Last edited by SM; April 25th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was trying to create some lighting effect and eventually added the dragon to make the picture more interesting or rather less empty. Now i just think the dragon is not much good for the pic (monochromatic, weird anatomy,...) but since everytime i say i'm gonna fix a pic i dont do it this time i'll just shut it. The only thing im still quite satisfied with is the sun... pld:

Last edited by SM; April 26th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished this one a few minutes ago...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up amazing stuff

woopie...
    thats awesome..especially the last demon sketch..
    i think thats the coolest of the lot..not that the others are bad...
    they are all great..
    the twisterstuff..wow..nice feel..

about the last monster stuff...
    how did you achieve those loose 'motion strobe' brush strokes on the lower right side of the image below the hood..?
    care to share ..pls..?

awesome work again...
    evribitafit...

There is but one short cut to success...apparently its called Hardwork.

The Great Indian Mythology Character Design Trick - ( please do leave your comments on this sketchbook) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=142727

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    whoa man awesome enviros, really digging the textured look and the colors! anatomy looks great too, far better than mine, but what blows me away the most are those life studies on the previous page, the onion just kicks ass, really hard. can't really crit anything, just keep going and exploring things, maybe try to unify things more by mixing up the colors of the objects, right now it's like every thing has its own color without interaction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice grasp of form in space and making it happen digitally. Pretty bold stuff here that I like.

On this last one it'd be cool to see a brighter rim light of that green or make it show the shape more. Thanks! Nice atmosphere too.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff man! i particularly like your textures and enviros (like most people have said) the deamon (with the hoodie) inthe last page could use some work I belive,(maybe work on character design since you're ahead in your enviros??)...really cool stuff, you're 19 and if this was a race, you're definitely ahead of me!...a cool step by step on your environments (like the grape painting) would be awesome!...keep posting!

I'm from Bolivia but live in the US, that makes me special, so visit my sketchbook!
    "DOO EET NAW!!!!" --->

Sketchbook V 1.0: Not very good--->Page 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Page 10 <---<---recommended!

-Arnold Scharzenegger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are so cool! http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1208093964 Awesome color and shapes. Clean and beautiful.

Nice background in some images. Great updates btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!

Algenpfleger: Thanks so much for dropping by! I'll pay attention to what u said about blending colors. Thanx for the fruits, i wanted to do more but i should focus on the human figure for a while. I realised not long ago how much i suck at drawing faces in different positions but still i stubbornly tend to do what i like and whats easy to me...

Matsign: Thanx. Yeah maybe iv been to "shy" with the rim light this time but i guess it counterbalances with all the times when my highlights are just too bright. No eriously i no i should be more accurate with my lighting but damn im so lazy...
    Thanx for posting anyway.

Saurus: Thanx for the compliments, real nice!
    As u might have seen ive attached some steps but i'm not too sure u'll find'em useful, will u?

joaKimArt: I was quite surprised to see that picture at the end of the link, its so old! But i understood what u meant. Thanx for posting here and here's more...

1- a quick study
    2- something i did yesterday or the day before.
    3- steps of a first page pic.
    4-daily crap
    5-daily crap+ steps (Awesome! irony)
    6- exprimentations
    7- doodles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    F***k! Today was awesome! I broke my glasses in the morning and not long ago photoshop threw another effin fit and froze on a landscape i was working on so i had to force him to quit! The damn software just wouldnt get to save the piece! pld:

Its gotta be the thirtieth pic i lose but this one was really turning out well, far better than the one i've attached anyway...
    The worst is that even if i wanted to i couldnt smash the damn laptop against the wall since its not mine but my girlfriends.
    Hope ill soon get a more powerfull computer that can deal with Ps and my tablet wiv less trouble than this one, i've had it with rebooting the system all the time...

Anyway here's today sh.... stuff!
    first one's a no ref painting and the second's a study.
    I really dont like the colors in my no ref works, they're always more decent in the studies though i never use the eyedropper, gotta work more...

PS: sorry for the weird disposition of the pics, cant help it!

Last edited by SM; May 10th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1