Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    tutorial, yes. your public demands it!
    Diggin' the Ditch?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Very nice work, I would love to see how you do the things you do.
    -Are you kidding? I don't understand women period. Every time I talk to you I'm just hoping that you don't punch me in the face.-

Thanks
    Hi!!!!!!!

Monotony: Thank u!!!! As far as a tut is concerned, i find it quite hard to explain how i do things and why i do them the way i do but yeah ill try!

Hybrid_75: Hehe guess i just cant refuse now... Thank u!

Spetsk: Thanx i dunno if ur right but practice always help

~Faust~: Thanks a bunch!!!

Algenpfleger: Thaaaank u I will my friend!

AsaB: Thanx for subscribing! hope my updates wont disapoint u!! Thanx for the nice words too!

Ditchman: Thank youuuuuuuuu!

Naztek: Will try to explain but not sure im artistically mature enough to make tuts, its so not humble...

Here is a pic i did not long ago.
    Hope u guys like it.
    And yeah the tut is coming but i hope it'll live up to ur expectations, im a bit of a noob...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    HOLY SHIT MAN! That last one is so great. Especially those clouds, damn. You scare me!

Keep going man. Looking awesome.

Thanks
    The last one is quite nice, the clouds are well rendered but still with a very painterly feel to the whole thing.

Thanks
    Hi!

Algenpfleger: Danke!!!!!!!!!! What can i say my friend, really appreciate it Hannes.

RyerOrdStar: Thanx!! I do my best with clouds but they're so hard to understand...
    Thanx again!

Heres some new stuff!

1- Tried to render a simple object as realisticly as possible without a ref.

2- An old speedpaint i didnt want to show but eventually here it is!

3- I painted this from life, its the little backyard of my mother's flat.
    Painting this was like hell, especially when it came to chose colors but still i didnt tweak them once i was back in my bedroom. *proud*

4- The last painting i did.

Comments? crits? questions?
    Last edited by SM; July 21st, 2008 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks
    Dude, you're getting so damn good.

That box is awesome, great edges and values and.... everything Perspective seems a little off though, shouldn't the right side be vertical? That life painting blows my mind, awesome, awesome colors, and those enviros... damn dude. Just damn.

Thanks
    biutiful color and light, so nice work : ]

Thanks
    Oh my, amazing work! All of it! The environments are really nice and there was a big improvement from your first few. Your use of lighting is really great. Please do a tutorial

Thanks
    fantastic environments, love your use of light and color. keep updating

Thanks
    hey man, beautiful works, Great sb !!! keep posting

DEMO REEL

MYSKETCHBOOK

DeviantID

Thanks
    You are a master painter.

Thanks
    The progression from start to finish is beyond impressive.

Thanks

Tut time

Hi!!

Well as u already know im (absolutely) not a pro so maybe this very pic could have been done better, quicker, cleaner or whatever (as long as it ends with "er") but the point of me making this tut and explaining what happened at each step is that on ur side u remain critique and soak up the "good" and and just drop the "bad".

Step-1

At the start, i just took whatever brush i had and started to paint some random shapes, took some green for the grass and some dusky colors for the sky and said to myself:

"Fuck you, here u are going for grass+mountains+sky again!!!"

I try to teach myself to really go and try to paint stuff that seem very difficult to me or unusual but now and then i find myself directing the pic toward settings, lightings and elements im more confident with, wich is baaaaaad !!!

Some colors during this stage were put quite carelessly .
    When u see a color that doesnt really fit in the subject of ur painting just get rid of it and dont leave it there for the sake of color variation.
    For instance, i had put some bright blueish green in the sky wich i quickly started to blend to eventually make it disappear seeing that i wasnt going for that sort of "mood".
    But well, i still have so many things to learn about color im not sure i should give advice 'bout it...

Attachment 417786

Step-2

I cant quite explain what happened at this stage with the sky, i think i didnt want the sun to be too high so i lowered it in the horizon behind the rocks without dealing with it any longer since the rocks needed more attention at that moment anyway.

I did a seriously bad thing during those first steps; i never really made it clear what the light source was and its location...

At this stage i thought the sun was going to be pretty low to the left, behind the rocks, and that the main light source would be the dark purple sky but when u look at the final picture the sun is completely elsewhere.
    This is quite a nooby thing to do especially seeing as i was planning on spending a lot of time on it.
    Make sure about the important stuff (hint: the liiiiiiiiiiiight !!!!!!) during the early stages so the pic is solid and consistent.

Then i doubled the size of the pic up to 1800x700 for 200 dpi.

If u are to do so, the earlier the better (for obvious reasons).

Then i took some simple brush and started to draw.
    It helped me consider the different planes and volumes of the rocks and ground wich is useful for the lighting thats to come afterwards.
    I dont do that often but here i needed to because i felt i was going to be confused about the volumes if i didnt do it.

Attachment 417787

Step-3

Here i started to ask myself "do you really want the main light source to be the sky?" and obviously answered positively to this question since as u can see the values go in gradients from very dark values for the lower parts of the rocks to brighter tones for the top of the rocks that were supposed to be lit by the sky.

To have those little dark gradients here and there i used this brush Attachment 417799 from m@'s brushset.
    I dont think he created it for this single purpose but i find it handy in this situation.
    To have soft value variation, i also use the airbrush (but very carefully) and then paint over it with a normal round brush set to pressure sensitivity so that the strokes due to their opacity let a bit of the airbrushing show (maybe abit confusing).
    Then the rocks had their definitive shapes more or less blocked in.

Attachment 417788

Step-4

Just some hardcore texturing.
    Im not sure why its so exaggerated but i think its because unconsciously i was getting prepared to paint over it and thought it would have to be overly textured to show through the brushstrokes that were to come.

I purposely added some orange tones here and there to the rocks to make them less boring and then used whatever brushes i had as long as it was bumpy, dirty, scattered and so on for the texturing.

Though rocks and nature in general need a certain amount of chaos and disorder i try to make it clear; so while texturing i followed (more or less) the shapes i had drawn.

When ur using this brush Attachment 417800 (from M@ again) for instance, try to control its size, scattering, spacing so that it still acts like a brush for you to be able to direct it as u please.
    When i watched M@'s video (oh my, such a fan boy here), i noticed that while texturing for instance, he decreased the size of his custom brushes as he was getting further from the background and thats of course the way to do it. Not doing so might flatten the pic.

Obviously i also tweaked the curves with an adjustement layer.
    This is the kind of thing im abit ashamed of, since its the sort of stuff that makes all the digital-art haters say we're all a big bunch of "copy-paste-undo" abusers...
    But i dont give a damn, there was no way for me to repaint the whole pic just cuz i wanted it a little brighter!

Attachment 417789

Step-5

Cropped the pic and made the grass overwhelm the rocks (*thinks hard: what can i say, what can i say???*).

Attachment 417790

Step-6

Quite on a whim i decided to use the sun as a lightsource.
    I thought that the pic like it was at step 5 was too boring.

I created a new layer for the highlights and set it on linear light and added a layer mask.

I did this for a very simple reason, lighting the rocks with that layer mode allowed me not to lose the textures i had. As for the mask it helped me have exactly the shapes i wanted for the highlights.
    Indeed, on that new layer i painted with a large brush some highlight with a bright orange/pinky color and then changed the layer mode (to linear light) so that the textures showed through the brushtrokes.
    But of course, here and there i had painted on the sky or on some rocks that shouldnt have got any light so i used the layer mask and refined the highligts (black to erase/ white to un-erase).

For those who are not very familiar with layer masks i just googe-searched this.

On a side note, i must say that this kind of photoshoperies is not what i enjoy the most with the program to say the least and i try not to focus on them...

Attachment 417791

Step-7

I just wanted more sky and more clouds so i changed the size of the pic with the crop tool and painted a smooth gradient with some kind of blue to the right going to a brighter blueish purple to the left near the location of the sun.
    Eventually used a bright color with the hairbrush all along the horizon to hint the atmospheric perspective.

I had to accept that that rock to the left was gonna be cut after the crop but had an idea of how to solve that prob so i just didnt stress myself about it.

Attachment 417793

Step-8

Started to have some fun with the clouds thinking i was too smart to bother with their perspective.

I used the clone tool to refine that rock to the left and tried to make this little trick go unoticed.

In the meanwhile, i kept screwing up the sky and even started to be happy with it and added sunrays for mOore realism!

(Ohhh and ahhhhh!!!!!)

Attachment 417794

Step-9

*Realises he was not so smart, goes back to M@'s brushset, picks the perspective grid, drops fancy sunrays and tries to get his thick headed self around the fact that clouds abide by the holy rules of perspective too!!!!!!!!*

As far as clouds are concerned i tend to render them as if they were solid objects with parts in the light and parts in the shadow and i also play a lot with edge variation going from very hard forms to very soft and diffuse gradations...
    Still i think i dont study clouds enough and i must admit that most of the laws that rule their visual aspect are quite mysterious to me.
    Now that a little while has past since i last refined the pic i must say that i dont like the color of the whole sky so much but oh well...

Attachment 417795

Wow It was quite hard for me to know what u expected when u asked to see these steps...
    i dunno if i forgot to mention important elements or said useless things...

Anyway if u have any questions or comments or critiques, feel 100% free to share them!

And one last thing, do never forget that observation is the best tut ever!

Heres the final.

Attachment 417815

Hannes and the others: Big thanx!! Ill reply later but right now im in a bit of a hurry! pld:
    Last edited by SM; July 21st, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just like I thought - the same workflow as everyone else. The secret is that there are no secrets. Thanks for sharing that man!

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1