Doomsday Discussion

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts

Doomsday Discussion

http://discovermagazine.com/2000/oct/featworld

I was just reading this article that pretty sums up all the popular doomsday scenarios.

Thought it might be fun to discuss.

Please discuss.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    If "if's" and "but's" were candies and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    fun reading though. i'm actually hoping that humanity will last long enough,along with their planet, to see the sun expand and collapse into itself,along with most of our planets.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I'll order a number 17 please

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    fun reading though. i'm actually hoping that humanity will last long enough,along with their planet, to see the sun expand and collapse into itself,along with most of our planets.
    Indeed.

I have relatively few wishes in life, apart form solving world hunger, universal peace, prosperity for all and happiness abound. My one wish would be to outlive most of humanity and see how its fate ends. I want to see humanity reach the stars, spread across the galaxy and universe. Encounter alien ecologies and ecosystems, make new friends, and preferably not new enemies (Which will probably happen anyway, given our xenophobic track record). I want to see the sun expand and collapse on itself. I want to see sentient life awake across the universe and prosper.

But then again, we'll probably all be dead in a century or two. At the most. Unless sooner in which George Bush attacks Iran.

That said, I think Number 2 or 5 is the most likely. The first few are the most World Cataclysm ending, whereas with the others, civilization will collapse and humanity will be set back many hundreds of years, we can still possibly make our way back to the top.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    i'm gonna go with nanotech killing everyone.
    everything else just seems like hyped up conspiracy theories.

Thanks
    No. 20 sounds like a weak M. Night Shyamalan twist ending. Gosh, it's such a silly ending for the majestic universe.

Imnapl is offline Don't follow in my footsteps...seriously I run into walls
    Thanks
    "Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?"
    You know what's weird...I've asked myself things like this.....

As for my "most probable"--5 and with the ways things are going in the advances of technology 13.

My one wish would be to outlive most of humanity and see how its fate ends. I want to see humanity reach the stars, spread across the galaxy and universe. Encounter alien ecologies and ecosystems, make new friends, and preferably not new enemies (Which will probably happen anyway, given our xenophobic track record). I want to see the sun expand and collapse on itself. I want to see sentient life awake across the universe and prosper.
    I utterly agree with this.....

Thanks
    America -will eat itself to death, and apathy
    Japan - will make a robot, and it will either kill them, or that robot will make the matrix and enslave them
    Africa - allready allmost gone and I"m uncomfortalbe makeing any jokes about it
    Europe- Will be overrun by rabid cricket players
    korea- Starcraft cosplay goes too far -millions dead.

Imnapl is offline Don't follow in my footsteps...seriously I run into walls
    Thanks
    "Rawr!!!!!!" I think cosplay could take over all countries if it wanted to. ^_^

Thanks
    I don't know.. Polution and self destruction with toxins seems the most likely at the moment. Considering what we do with black sludge.... won't be too long.

Thanks
    Africa "almost gone"? What?

Thanks
    Never underestimate the likelyhood of an asteroid.

The magnetic poles switching was a new one for me, and every interesting.

Thanks
    When I saw this post on slashdot, I became convinced that this was how the world would end. I give you number 21, for the list ....

The Fanbois will never let this 'only one console' thing happen. They'd launch some kind of jihad against the surviving consoles the likes of which the world has never seen. The aftermath would leave the world a scorched earth, barren, desolate place. No life would remain, only the scarred, smoking rubble of a once proud gaming civilization. Perhaps the consoles themselves would rise up and enslave the populace, using the humans as living pawns in their own games. Interestingly, these scenarios are only marginally worse than the existing console related threads which appear routinely on /.

This sounds very much like: "In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell."

Thanks
    hmm, number 17...of all the possibilities, I'm not surprised it's already happening. Is there a such thing as sanity anymore? Other than sanity, I think people are becoming more stupid. Ever seen Idiocracy? What if that happened? Everyone would be drinking Brawndo and would be too stupid that the entire system of society was downgraded to kindergarten simplicity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    Zergling rush GOOO!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Rabbi, too.
    If I had one wish for anything, it would probably be for immortality - so that I could witness what fate will befall us, and the universe.

Thanks
    What if that happened? Everyone would be drinking Brawndo and would be too stupid that the entire system of society was downgraded to kindergarten simplicity.
    Oh, its allready happening,

Just check out the education system...or youtube

Last edited by Vhan Juju; April 11th, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Alien invasion for the win!!! All those other unspeakable dooms can fuck right off. If I'm going out with the rest of humanity I want to go out fighting to the death with some 19 legged freakish alien in a giant powered armor suit.

fuck that'd rock

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,158 Times in 1,706 Posts
    My scary scenario... A coup in Pakistan results in a nuclear exchange in the middle east which destroys the bulk of the world's oil reserves in a fire that rages for several years. The fire and smoke and soot are such an environmental catastrophe that it makes vast swaths of the middle east uninhabitable and results in a mass exodus into Turkey and Romania that results in a Russo-Islamic war. The pollution caused by the fires results in something like a "global winter" and causes vast crop failure and famine. The massive size of the fires creates extremely volatile weather patterns that disperse radioactive fallout globally. The scarcity of oil triggers a global depression which leads to mass starvation and violence. Western currency, usually backed by Gold or Silver, will be backed by food credits instead as crops that are genetically engineered to survive a nuclear winter are rushed into production under the direction of U.S. armed forces. Non-irradiated water will be rationed to an intolerable degree resulting in water riots. Russia and the U.S. will form an alliance based on genetically modified crops for Russian Oil. They also will partner in mining/melting the polar ice caps for safe drinking and bathing. There will be mass migration north toward the clean polar ice, resulting in Greenland and Canada becoming superpowers. Alaska succeeds from the U.S. and also becomes a Clean Ice superpower.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by kev ferrara; April 11th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Have a nice day.
    you...you have spent some time thinking abuout this havent you?
    LOL!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    My scary scenario... A coup in Pakistan results in a nuclear exchange in the middle east which destroys the bulk of the world's oil reserves in a fire that rages for several years. The fire and smoke and soot are such an environmental catastrophe that it makes vast swaths of the middle east uninhabitable and results in a mass exodus into Turkey and Romania that results in a Russo-Islamic war. The pollution caused by the fires results in something like a "global winter" and causes vast crop failure and famine. The massive size of the fires creates extremely volatile weather patterns that disperse radioactive fallout globally. The scarcity of oil triggers a global depression which leads to mass starvation and violence. Western currency, usually backed by Gold or Silver, will be backed by food credits instead as crops that are genetically engineered to survive a nuclear winter are rushed into production under the direction of U.S. armed forces. Non-irradiated water will be rationed to an intolerable degree resulting in water riots. Russia and the U.S. will form an alliance based on genetically modified crops for Russian Oil. They also will partner in mining/melting the polar ice caps for safe drinking and bathing. There will be mass migration north toward the clean polar ice, resulting in Greenland and Canada becoming superpowers. Alaska succeeds from the U.S. and also becomes a Clean Ice superpower.

Have a nice day.
    Nope, Jack Bauer would stop that from happening.

Personally, im pulling for the zompocolypse.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    The magnetic poles switching was a new one for me, and every interesting.
    I remember freaking about that one a few years ago when I was studying geology.

If you look at divergent boundaries (like the Mid Atlantic ridge for example) you can see that this has happened countless times already. Its a regular geological occurrence, but we're still not sure exactly how this shift occurs. The issue isn't so much the switching from North to South (and back again), but rather what happens during the intervening period (which could last anywhere from 10 days to 100 years). Basically the Earth's magnetic field falls into a sort of weird equilibrium and temporarily ceases to deflect cosmic rays, particles and the like. So basically we just get bombarded from space.

__________________________________________________ ___

The thing about most of these doomsday scenarios, is that many of them could be mitigated if we started working to establish independent, self-sustaining human communities elsewhere (on Mars for example.) There's not much you can do about Supernova, or the Sun going red giant, but some of these scenerios could be offset. Right now we have all the eggs in one basket. Every year we spend literally billions of dollars on insurance (for our cars, homes, against natural disasters, for national defense etc.) If we spent even a small fraction of that to insure the long term survival of the species as a whole, we could probably pull something serious together by the time the 22nd century hits.

Even if you're a total misanthope, and you could care less about the long term survival of the human species, we could still do much to expand the bounds of terrestrial life beyond the confines of the natal planet. Given that we have the intelligence and ability to manage such an undertaking (and considering that cockroaches are unlikely to evolve into a similar position, should we fail to do so and then die off) there is much to argue in favor of the project. By assuming the role of 'reproductive organ' for the planet at large, we could conceivably make good on some the damage we've already caused, mass extinctions etc. and start working to correct them.

If you believe in a God, I'd argue that he created us with this purpose in mind.
    If you don't believe in a God, then such a mission (if adopted) might serve as a kind of real world substitute, since it would provide us with a tangible sense of purpose and cosmic destiny.

Also, engineering an viable ecosystem from the ground up, would force us to begin living in greater balance with our environment and perhaps increase our appreciation of how delicate it is. Things like waste management, population control, diet etc. would all need to be seriously re-evaluated. I don't think we can achieve such changes by remaining where we are. The problems are just too easy to ignore here. We need a new catalyst, and new ideas to organize around. Zubrin, Clarke, Sagan and other modern luminaries have all made this point as well; that we require new challenges in order to grow, and make our greatest achievements when we are pushed outside of our element.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; April 11th, 2008 at 03:38 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasonwclark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Shouldn't Peak Oil be on that list somewhere..?

Thanks
    Mad max/Water World

Thanks
    Thanked 5,158 Times in 1,706 Posts
    On the other hand, we are on the verge of monster technological revolution. Hard not to be optimistic too... http://medheadlines.com/2008/04/11/n...iation-damage/

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts

Have a nice day.
    that really is a scary scenario. sadly enough,it's highly probable too.
    atleast when it comes to them politics...wouldn't melting the ice caps fuck up our planet too?

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    A nuclear disaster off any sort, could conceivably undo the whole program. There are so many possible triggers for scenarios like this, its surprising that more people aren't worried about them. Just because the Cold War ended 20 years ago, doesn't mean the nuclear threat is any less real. Most of our really close calls in the last half century didn't even involve the actions of rational governments or their militaries, but rather developed out of systems failures.

Thanks
    A nuclear disaster off any sort, could conceivably undo the whole program. There are so many possible triggers for scenarios like this, its surprising that more people aren't worried about them. Just because the Cold War ended 20 years ago, doesn't mean the nuclear threat is any less real. Most of our really close calls in the last half century didn't even involve the actions of rational governments or their militaries, but rather developed out of systems failures.
    I would rather be totally oblivious to my impending doom that I could hardley do anything about, rather than be a nervious ball of axiety whos only throwback is being able to say "I knew it was going to happen!" when we all met the same outcome...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    Oh, its allready happening,

Just check out the education system...or youtube
    hahaha, exactly.

Thanks
    On the other hand, we are on the verge of monster technological revolution. Hard not to be optimistic too... http://medheadlines.com/2008/04/11/n...iation-damage/
    That is an amazing technology.

What's sad is that while our tools keep improving, the people never will.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.