Tria markers new brush nib
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tria markers new brush nib

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tria markers new brush nib

http://www.letraset.com/design/shopc...?type=TriaNibs

Heh heh. What's up with letraset's overt marketing towards the manga COPIC drawing crowd.

I think I'll get a set though and try it out. Still my favorite coloured brush markers would be the Staedtler Mars Graphic 3000. Doesn't have a thick barrel like Trias but the brush and excellent water based ink are plusses for me (the Mars ink doesn't bleed/soak as bad on regular sketchbook pages as alcohol based markers).

Wonder how the Tria tip compare's with Pentel's brush pens.

Last edited by FlipMcgee; April 11th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to the neighborhood art store after work and tested it.

It sucks! There's some flex but the core remains rigid unlike the better brushpen tips. Maybe you need to break it in a little bit but the store mgr was behind my back the whole time I was evaluating it.

Any feedback with copic brush nibs? They don't sell them in singles here, just in plastic wrapped box sets. I prefer to use a fully flexible brush nib.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought some Tria markers a long time ago, thinking it was a really good idea, but I have to my shame never really figured how to use them in my drawings. I don't often do anything colored that's not paint or digital.... And after a few of tries I was like "what's the big deal about these things?" It never wanted to stay where I wanted it to stay, it bled all over.

I kinda prefer soft tips for everything else though, something really rigid wouldn't fit me well at all...

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FlipMcGee- if you want a soft brush tip, check out copic's line of "sketch" markers. they're thinner/rounder than the regular ones.

i've tried tria/prisma/copic, and my favorite by far is copic. not for anything to do with manga or japan, i use them for my industrial design classes/work. great quick rendering and nice brush feel. also, they don't stink.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the review.

I find their marketing strategy quite laughable. It's obviously geared towards the Manga crowd, but they've used such badly drawn images... Like they picked up the first Anime pictures they saw on DA or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah. It's like all those badly-drawn "How to Draw Manga" books. They're marketing towards kids that draw at that level, I suspect. Guess they're hoping for all that "MomIGottaHaveItNAO!" cash, cause Tria Markers aren't cheap.

I will give 'em points for the neato space-age redesign on the barrel, though. Made me look at one the other day. I wonder if being able to see the wick really does allow you to gauge ink level, or if it's just for show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at Letraset's Aqua Promarker inks and brushpen. They use refillable water-based pigmented ink and the brushpen is similar to Pigma's. Not bad.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a friend in middle school who liked to draw manga. She got a 64 set of prismas one year.

The next year (birthday) she got over 200 copic markers in a set. I think their marketing just knows the right spots to hit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that and about 99% of honest-to-God Japanese comickers use solely Copic. Don't need much advertising after that. I think their range of colors is bigger too, but never looked it up.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    I had a friend in middle school who liked to draw manga. She got a 64 set of prismas one year.

The next year (birthday) she got over 200 copic markers in a set. I think their marketing just knows the right spots to hit.

EDIT: Yeah, Copics are used religiously by Manga artists, and their followers alike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use Letraset Tria Bruspen together with watercolor pencils (so far it's the most portable color painting medium I ever used). I just fill it with water and it is much more comfortable to than simple brush + some water container .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorknes View Post
    I bought some Tria markers a long time ago, thinking it was a really good idea, but I have to my shame never really figured how to use them in my drawings. I don't often do anything colored that's not paint or digital.... And after a few of tries I was like "what's the big deal about these things?" It never wanted to stay where I wanted it to stay, it bled all over.
    You have to use marker paper. Also, I find the darker colours mostly useless. Sometimes the stores try to sell you a "starter pack" with primary colours. Useless! If you use marker paper and the lightest shades you can find you'll get much better results. You'll also be very poor.

Edit: You can use watercolour pencils for details, and also to blend all the colours you were too cheap to buy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bristol works too...better I think, but I guess it depends on the look you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So are those Copics with brush nibs? If they are, then let's see some more photos of them in action.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brush nibbed, yes. Get the ones that say "sketch".

More photos? I'll probably attempt a video someday.

What I think of Copics so far? Overrated! Anybody who wants to play with markers just get brands you can afford (except Chartpaks!). Copic marker ink didn't look any different on paper than ones from Prismas or Trias. The brush nib handles pretty well though, no complaints there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post

lol, that sounds exactly like one of my friend, but the scary difference maybe that he is much older than middle school students.

FlipMcgee
    , you got the 12 color set ? it probably wouldn't be very useful without different shades of the same color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have box loads of non-copics accumulated over the years (even the horrid chartpaks ) so I don't need to shell out cash for the more expensive sets. I'm just gonna mix and match brands with other media like dr. martin radiants. Of course, I don't have a problem sliding hues in Photoshop to save even more money. har har har

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I love the brush nibs on the Copics, but I wasn't really happy with the broad-side, which Prismacolor does exceptionally well on, despite that fact that it bleeds more than Copics.

It's easy to get addicted to Copics that it runs out of ink relatively easy. Luckily some online stores sell refills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by c-hsu-run View Post
    It's easy to get addicted to Copics that it runs out of ink relatively easy.
    I'm just starting to realize that it's not really efficient to use Copics with large drawings. It's cute design is starting to make sense now, for me anyways.

If you're art is not going to be for public display (not online), it's best I think to use it with small drawings and scan it at a high dpi so it'll look big for the web. With a smaller line art, maybe just the size and width of your palm, you'll have enough control to lay solid masses and minimize streaks. Use marker paper of course.

Using copics with layouts bigger than an average palm will just cause you to burn your markers faster. I'd use the copic wides or the stouter Prismas and Trias for the bigger spaces if I have to. Or just Photoshop it. Saving the expensive Copics for the main figures, tight details, or centre of attraction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I worked at dick blick art materials for two years and I remember when the new tria markers were coming out - we had to clearance out all the old ones - haha I got some awesome deals there.

Anyway, a couple months after that we finally got the new ones in and we were all super excited. And then a week after that all the stock of them was in the back room - and we learned that dick blick refused to sell them. They leaked, the labels peeled off with ease, the fine point tip dried up just as easily as the old one, and the brush tip, although cool, is not nearly as good as the copics (for what you pay), and were ridiculously over-priced, because they had raised the price quite a bit for the new ones.

I just checked the website - and as far as I can see - they still don't sell the new tria markers. *shrug*

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.