Need feedback on character concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need feedback on character concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need feedback on character concept art

Hi,

I'm working on a character for DW3, not that I really think I can make within the deadline, I would really appreciate some right on C&C, and tips.

As I don't get any feedback whatsoever on cgtalk. Maybe I'm not good enough or something, but as I'm just an absolute beginner at this, I really need help...

Some notes on the character and story:

This is the new gen assassin, with extreme hearing, sight and enhanced senses combined with quick movement, stealth, massive close combat strength and high intelligence. This female mutant has it all. Only weaknesses are long distant attacks and fight against large numbers, but with her intelligence she turns the enemies advantage against them, with tactical brilliance she completes even the hardest missions... Now she is really put to the test.

Story: In time of chaos and increasing weakness in the war front the society needed a super weapon. By combining the best of wildlife creatures to create the most powerful unit, the Aenux was born.

This is the concept drawing I have come up with so far, not sure about some parts or the pose. Trying out some color variations right now. will post more.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pose strikes me as a little contrived, a covert assassin that favors stealth wouldn't be popping martial arts stands. Either go with something more neutral, or full on sneaking - for reference look at how tactical units such as swat move and stand.

I can't say much about the design itself since I don't know the aesthetics of the universe she belongs to, but her clunky feet, again, don't convey "stealth" or "quick movement".
    The fact that she's needlessly naked also maker her look more generic. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, and thank you very much, as for stealth shes is going to have a chameleon skin, that changes color to blend in to environment, I agree on the pose, as it has been bugging me for some time and I need to change that if I'm gonna try sell a stealth assassin character idea with this image, and it does look odd. The feet/legs I don't know, it just didn't look balanced or right with normal legs, I might try overproportionally long legs maybe, slim. and..., shes not gonna be naked, I'm still working on some outfits that don't look too basic and boring. once again thank you very much.

Felt like I was sailing without wind, now I know from where the wind blows again.

Edit: It might be lame but, I could also change her class to something more suitable because it's much closer to some of the others classes.

Last edited by kenjitsu; April 9th, 2008 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagolith View Post
    Edit: It might be lame but, I could also change her class to something more suitable because it's much closer to some of the others classes.
    I think it will work much better if you take ID approach and make form follow function. You have a list of things she's supposed to be good at, so use that as your conceptual yardstick. Ask yourself if the visual jives with the description, and than adjust it accordingly. Also, you need to decide how "realistic" this is supposed to be, something that would work in marvel universe is not going to fly in a ghost in the shell inspired spin-off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dusty imp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree.. , but I might not have enough experience to pull this off, but I'll give it a go. This character might fit in a game environment like warcraft or something... I think her legs need to be more like if she was surfing to get the stealth look.. that might just do the trick...

Thanks so much again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dunno if I'm being dumb, but what’s DW3?

Anyway, I love the drawing and your rendering is very nice. I’m just not sure it all matches up to your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagolith View Post
    with extreme hearing, sight and enhanced senses combined with quick movement, stealth, massive close combat strength and high intelligence ..... By combining the best of wildlife creatures to create the most powerful unit
    I just don't see that in the picture. Obviously the big ears are in there, but for example, the fact that she has 6 limbs contradicts her inability to deal with multiple targets. And those tentacles look like they would hinder her quickness.

My suggestion is too look at some animals that feature some of those properties and use them for inspiration.
    for speed and strength, look at lions and other big cats or maybe a velociraptor ect.

EDIT: ahh! you two snuck up and posted while I was taking my time and spell checking! lol
    guess i shouldn't have taken 30 mins to write my post.

Last edited by crumpy; April 9th, 2008 at 01:07 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crumpy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you like the image in some aspects Thank you very much.

Yes I'm getting more aware of my big mistake on not really asking myself what the image really tells... my inexperience shines thru,. Hehe The description is not definitive thou, so I might alter some parts of it... But I don't think the tentacles would hinder her from moving fast as they might grab onto things and pull her up when climbing, and when not in use they are behind her, but visually they might look less usable... And what I'm leaving out still is that she is supposed to posses magic. and that could turn the seemingly disadvantages to advantages...
    Magics:
    Fire/lava
    Water/Ice
    Air/Lightning
    Earth/Rock
    Vegetation
    Darkness/void
    Light/Holy
    Summoning

How to make human anatomy look fast and slick is another thing, maybe just make her a lion centaur ;P haha.

Edit: DW3 is Dominance war 3, its a concept art competition, having both 3d and concept art category. http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...ules/index.php

Last edited by kenjitsu; April 9th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that some of the previous critiques have made good points- I could see how following the description would be confusing... stealth-magic- close-combat class? mmk

for your design I think you could definately lose some of the bulk from the tenticles and her legs- really give her some sleek form- you could still have the tenticles I just think they aren't helping at the moment in this version of the design. as for how to create stealthy and sleek, look at how other characters of the ilk ar done i.e. spiderman or the guy from splinter cell -
    good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.