View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • lkjhgfdsa

4 10.00%
  • D-Holme

10 25.00%
  • Oishiiniku

26 65.00%
  • Fughi from Yuggoth

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #66: Deployable Repair Platform - Voting

IDW #66 Topic: Deployable Repair Platform

Deadline for voting: Sunday, April 20

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #66: Deployable Repair Platform
    Last edited by yoitisi; April 9th, 2008 at 05:03 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Attachment 343093

Artist: D-Holme

Attachment 343095

Artist: Oishiiniku

Attachment 343094

Artist: Fughi from Yuggoth

Attachment 343096

Thanks
    Some additional notes on this round:

Sorry for me slacking on getting the poll up and the new round going, the German Sketchmeet was quite overwhelming

Digital Blacksmith: Still a WIP.

Matsign: Same some of those sketches looked promising though.

Tsujni: Hmm almost made it to poll, but it you could've done much more with it, and it wasn't clear to me how it would pack up and move -it looks rather static.

Fughi from Yuggoth: Could've used much more work as well, but since the idea was clear I let it sneak into the poll. Hope you put in some more effort in the rendering next time

lord_regenschirm is offline Brought up in the ancient arts of mouse-painting :D
    Thanks
    Hehe ... The outcome of the poll so far pretty well represents the problem I had when to decide which one of the upper works I should vote for
    I finally went for D-Holme (I loved these complex detail-paintings since I was a kid ).
    No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

Thanks
    lkjhgfdsa 2nd: Hard Decision, D-holme and u got like the same quality, I liked both of yours very much, and i think, both will fit into rts game quite properly. 2 reasons against urs:
    1.I do not really understand the transforming process of yours, e.g. I don't know where the 2 cold fusion cannons come from in the deployed status, i can only see one on the "lander".
    2. A bit vary, but it seems to be a bit to small and flexible for a real platform, it is more a Unit than a Platform to me,which means implicit that there got to be a bigger thing to repair the giant tanks or mechs or whatever.If u had added some tanks or soldiers or stuff in there, maybe this reason would be inexistent.
    D-Holme
    Like this piece very much. When I'm started, I was thinking of something, that would work exactly this way,but walking.The transformation process would be better recognizable , if u had added some symbols,windows, stripes antennas,etc on the parts,which makes the identification of the special parts a bit easier (like my ugly red stars).
    Oishiiniku
    Very good workout of the final, but I think that the core design is a bit simple to me.
    Ur unit seems to be a bit to small,too, but actually it is more about supporting commando units than repairing the hole army, right?
    FuNghi from Yuggoth
    Good Idea, quite good sketch for me, scary workout and cruel rendering.
    Also it's a stupid design, a slow walker would work in trench warfare, but not in a war of technology, which could build this kind of walkers.It would be easier to fly that tanks out, than to protect a tank with a more expensive unit above it. and its more a unit than a platform, too^^

Thanks
    voted for lkjhgfdsa.

nice concept of dholme and you would have gotten my vote if you finished it up a little more.

Oishiiniku: while your design is really interesting this isnt a 3D contest. Even though you painted over it a little bit everything is modelled. This would belong more to a 3D contest imo. you can use a basic 3d model for perspective reasons as many artists do but modelling everything isnt really about drawing anymore imo...

Thanks
    Dholme you got my vote regardless man. I really liked your concept a lot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    ***snip***

Tsujni: Hmm almost made it to poll, but it you could've done much more with it, and it wasn't clear to me how it would pack up and move -it looks rather static.
    *** snip***
    good point, it makes sense to me, however, i designed it.

Thanks
    oishiiniku gets my vote, its just super solid work: great design and stunning execution. As for the 3d vs 2d thing. I think most professionals are happy to block out in 3d these days the rule seems fairly redundant to me. I fully suport the idea that artists should develop their basic skills in perspective drawing along with all other aspects of image construction. However, in a comercial environment its just as important to use the full range of tools at your disposal.

Thanks
    while lkjhgfdsa's concept is the most visualy appealing,
    Oishiiniku got my vote because his seems more reasonable and functional.

Thanks
    lkjhgfdsa: good rendering, but i dont really understand how it fonctions, and it doesnt seem to provide a lot of help to the gound troop since it does nt seem to be able to transport anything else them itself
    D-holme: got my vote seems to be the most fonctional design here
    Oishiiniku: outstanding execution as always, but it seems way to small for the term platform, this could be the drone wich comes out of the mother ship platform, it would be the right size to automaticaly fix and heal broken and injured.

seems to me IDW is geting to a low participation these last few weeks ....could be everyone is as busy at work as i am.
    when people stop critiquing its because they stopped caring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maks444 View Post

seems to me IDW is geting to a low participation these last few weeks ....could be everyone is as busy at work as i am.
    Yeah, finals are getting close for me anyway and tons of work so itleast thats why I haven't been around too much........it depresses me *cries*

Great entries guys!

Oishiiniku
    I think you approached this great. You took your time building it up and the finished piece is a home-run. I can't critique anything really. Nice one!