Sketch of a woman, want comments, lot of comments...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Sketch of a woman, want comments, lot of comments...

Been doodling for some time (drawing orcs and stuff, nothing fancy) just recently started thinking about going to art school or just art courses. Anywho, want to know what you think about this little sketch. It's supposed to be female but people seem to take it as male. Oh well...

Sketch of a woman, want comments, lot of comments...

p.s. Could you point me towards some stuff on drawing noses? As you see, I need to work on those.. and well.. the chins, and jaw, and eyes, and throat... erm.. oh dear

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my inept opinion, I would say try to work on some proportions for starters... and work in some perspective.

Bridgman has a good book on drawing the entire figure, but there are sections for the different parts of the head as well. (noses, ears...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...139944-2651324

Of course, it always helps to do life drawings... but if you're unlucky (like me) and don't have a woman to pose nude for you, there's always reference!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&threadid=1813 (18+)

-- whoops, almost forgot:
    Andrew Loomis books are great as well
    http://www.fineart.sk/anat.htm

Remember, draw draw draw!
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I assume you are looking for some guidance. Um ok lets see:

First of all I just want to say before doing any of this, get yourself a photograph or a magazine cut out, and do all the stuff below from reference.

1) The bone structure is a little cavemanish (which is why some might mistake this for a male), so try to make the lines look more simple (extra simple cause its a female) and go in one direction rather than curve so much. Make sure evrything is symetrical, VERY IMPORTANT, because symetry is the key to beauty. Also a thinner chin would help, but make sure its not too thin, otherwise this will turn into manga very quickly.

2) To chieve #1 maybe do a little planning before hand. Like draw an oval, and center line and an eye line, and a nose starting line and ending line (keep in mind that her nose is a bit big, you would actually be surprised at how small most ppls noses are in length). Also about the nose, you need a little depth in there, right now it looks a bit flat, so just stretch it towards the audience a little.

3)The hair is a bit messy, try to make it a lot more streamlined. Keep in mind that every strand doesnt actually sepparate. But rather, strands bunch up in flat groups, try to get that effect going.

4) The eyes are too huge, you really need to work on that, cause eyes are much much much smaller than what you have there. Also from those photos or magazine pics, take a look at the anatomy of an eye. Infact just take a look at the anatomy of everything, it should help you quite a bit. Remember not to miss a single detail when looking, a slight curve or angled stroke could be the difference between real and fake. One piece of symetry i can tell you that some may not notice right away is that (most times), the distance from the top of the nose (where it meets the eyebrows) to the hairline, is the same as the distance from the nostrels to the bottom of the chin. You seemed to have fallowed this, i dunno if you did it on purpose or not though.

5)The lips need the same amount of attention as the eyes. The top lip here is bigger than the bottom lip which rarely happens in nature. Also the line between the lips is not quite right. See you gotta think about it like this...first the top lip overlaps, then the bottom lip overlaps, then the center of the top lip overlaps (creating that little bump in the center), and then the process is reversed on the opposite side of the lips. Notice this in those pics i asked you to look at.

6) Your eyebrows are fine except for being non-symetrical. Again work on that.

7) Find another picture like a photo or something which has a high contrast of light. Hint: Magazines and digital images from a movie (hollywood) are great for this. Take a look at how light hits each part of the face. This will let you know how to draw it in the future, and will give you an idea about what has more depth than something else.

Another tip, is to draw everything in polygons first, and then smooth out the lines. Not everyone likes to do this but i find that it helps to see where the light is gonna go. And its perfect for beginners because every line is straight. Its much easier to draw squiggly lines rather tha nice straight ones when drawing winthout such guidelines. Remember that by "straight" i dont mean absolutely no bend in the lines, but rather that you pick a direction for the line and draw in that direction, rather than winging it and drawing a line incorrectly as a result (having it go in an unplanned direction, which screws up anatomy).

I see what you're trying to do is accent on some bones that youve seen in pics or other ppl have drawn, but you gotta really look twice and find out weather the bone structure you've drawn maybe is a bit big or small or whatever the case may be. Find out how big every bone and muscle is in relation to the others, and at what angle it sits.

One last thing for you before i go. I can see youve drawn like an earring i think on her right side. If its not sry, but this still applies. Lets examine that earring, take a look at the string, where it meets the ball, or gem. That is a bit too simple, you need to have either some sort of attachment device, or the gem needs a little more character. Make sure you never draw anything as one dimensional. Everything was a width and a depth, just keep that in mind.

Ok so ive written quite a bit here I hope this helps you out at least a little bit, and you dont get confused by what i said, Sry if I was a bit unclear at times, feel free to reply i'll answer anything u didnt understand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

great

Thank you very very much. Most of the time when I show people my drawings I get "Cool" or "uncool" but nothing more. I really liked your tips.. btw, nr 5 was unintentional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adding to meDrawUC's line, make the right eye larger, the same size as the left eye, bring it in closer to the left eye and slant the outside corner upward. Bring the inside corner of the left eyelid down further, slanting up to where the outside corner of the eyelid is. So the eyes from a slight v shape from inside to outside. Your nose is too wide at the top, but bringing the right eye in will solve that. Make the nose slightly shorter, the nostrils wider and a bowl shaped curve at the end of the nose. Set the curve on an angle with the top of the curve slightly above the left nostril, then curving down and back up to the right nostril. Making the left nostril slightly behind the bottom of the nose. Also deepen the nostrils. Run the top line of the nose, (by the left eye) past the eye almost to the eyebrow. The line from the left eye to the top of the cheekbone should be curved more. (inward). Make the top lip thinner, the bottom lip thicker. Run a curved line from the outside edge of each nostril down past the corners of the mouth. Curve the outside edge of the chin more also. That's it for now. Hope it helps. Maybe someone else can improve on this. Good luck.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.