Thanks
    Blog Entries

custom made stylus.

Hey guys.

Is it possible to make your very own Stylus for the wacom Intos3? I was thinking of one that was thin like a biro or a pencil.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if you have to ask than it's most likely beyond your ability level.

edit;

and what's wrong with http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-ZP-300E-.../dp/B00083Y87U ?
    Last edited by dusty imp; April 7th, 2008 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Firstly you do not know my level of ability, and second I asked if it was possible to make a custom stylus, not a replacement. Thank you for contributing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Firstly you do not know my level of ability
    on the contrary, it's at the level where you have to ask whether you can do it or not.

and second I asked if it was possible to make a custom stylus, not a replacement. Thank you for contributing.
    see above, and you're welcome.

Thanks
    Can't you just rip out the guts, and put it in whatever plastic frame you want?

'should be pretty easy if that is what you are going for, you just need a method of smashing it apart the right way so you can get the interlals out without damageing them...

(Oh, man, after that "what are scars you" thread all I can think about is what I just said being about a human! whoa...eww...)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutani View Post
    on the contrary, it's at the level where you have to ask whether you can do it or not.

see above, and you're welcome.
    Try not to be a smart ass. I just do not want to dissect a £60 stylus without knowing what might happen. I fin it best to ask on a forum where thousands of like-minded people visit in order to get my answer. Obviously once in awhile I have a reply like yours that is very unhelpful.

Can't you just rip out the guts, and put it in whatever plastic frame you want?

'should be pretty easy if that is what you are going for, you just need a method of smashing it apart the right way so you can get the interlals out without damageing them...

(Oh, man, after that "what are scars you" thread all I can think about is what I just said being about a human! whoa...eww...)
    That is what I was thinking, so i thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has tried this route. Someone like Android might have tried this.

You could opt for a different material, maybe even wood like a pencil or maybe a see-through plastic like a BIC Biro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Try not to be a smart ass. I just do not want to dissect a £60 stylus without knowing what might happen. I fin it best to ask on a forum where thousands of like-minded people visit in order to get my answer. Obviously once in awhile I have a reply like yours that is very unhelpful.
    you asked a stupid question and got an appropriate answer.
    yes, it's possible.
    no, nobody here can scan through teh intertubes and tell you if you actually have the savvy to do it. to my knowledge nobody ever posted a guide for taking a stylus apart without breaking it.

Thanks
    the stylus for the other wacom tablets (bamboo) is quite small, but they are usually quite thick anyway... but i dont know if that would affect quality.

I JUST DONT KNOW.

you could ring them up and ask. thats what customer services are for...well... what they are SUPPOSED to be for... hmph.

Thanks
    yeah iv done it. I crammed mine inside of a bananna now I's can drawed like donkey kongs
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahahahahaa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutani View Post
    you asked a stupid question and got an appropriate answer.
    yes, it's possible.
    no, nobody here can scan through teh intertubes and tell you if you actually have the savvy to do it. to my knowledge nobody ever posted a guide for taking a stylus apart without breaking it.
    haha, you're an asshole.
    I pity you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal138 View Post
    haha, you're an asshole.
    I pity you.
    where are these trolls crawling out from?

Thanks

Thanks
    You could opt for a different material, maybe even wood like a pencil or maybe a see-through plastic like a BIC Biro
    Just to clarify, your trying to make a skinnier / slimmer stylus right?

My only question is Why do they need to be that big in the first place? You don't suppose that they need to be fat to house all the eletronics eh?

Thanks
    Yutani, can it.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    Just to clarify, your trying to make a skinnier / slimmer stylus right?

My only question is Why do they need to be that big in the first place? You don't suppose that they need to be fat to house all the eletronics eh?
    I was always curious what made a Stylus 'communicate' with the board. It could be just the material it uses inside.

True if I was so bothered about this I could ring them up; but as this topic was only to find whether it was possible rather than actually doing it, I think investigating too far should not be necessary.

And as for it being a 'stupid' question, I do not think any sort of curiosity is stupid, only NOT being curious is.

Thanks
    I was curious to see what paint thinner tasted like once...
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I looked at a diagram online....it looks like there is a skinnier part fitted inside of the houseing

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7068262-0-large.jpg

Or at least in this model.

My Only guess is that you could remove the tail end, somehow, and remove the internals that way? or however that thing was assembled.

Thanks
    Lol, nice one

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    If it tastes half as good as it smells... I'm there.
    SSG 37

Thanks
    The reason the stylus is so fat is because the circuit board that controls pressure and tilt is about 1 cm wide. I know this because I accidentally ripped the stylus apart some weeks ago. So no, there is no apparent way to do it.

Thanks
    The reason the stylus is so fat is because the circuit board that controls pressure and tilt is about 1 cm wide. I know this because I accidentally ripped the stylus apart some weeks ago. So no, there is no apparent way to do it.
    And with that...Rists dreams are shatterd. (lol)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Thanks, that is the post I have been waiting for!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    yeah iv done it. I crammed mine inside of a bananna now I's can drawed like donkey kongs
    This made my day.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Rist- aside all assholery going on, it is very difficult to do something like that, because of the mentioned circuit board. I have seen the inside of it, the circuit board is not as fat as one might think. They just make the stylus that way because of the hand ergonomics. The replacement pen is about half thick as the original one.

So to clarify the answer, yes it is possible. But you need to have the proper tools to go about and doing it correctly.-including a ESD wrist strap.
    The hole in which the button goes into would have to be custom drilled- not a very simple task. One wrong drill and you are back to square one...and if you are using a higher priced pen to do this...oh boy $$. another thing that you should keep in mind is that the styluses are very light weight, the pen you will customize will not be as light and probably tire your hand/arm when drawing.

Yes its possible, with the know how and with the proper tools. Just like creating a home made cintiq is possible too. anything is possible, as long as you try and are willing to live with the consequences and results. I say do it, if you got the $$ to spare a replacement pen.( I paid about $50 for mine from coolgraphicstuff.com)

good luck bud
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JL.Alfaro View Post
    So to clarify the answer, yes it is possible. But you need to have the proper tools to go about and doing it correctly.-including a ESD wrist strap.
    The hole in which the button goes into would have to be custom drilled- not a very simple task. One wrong drill and you are back to square one...and if you are using a higher priced pen to do this...oh boy $$. another thing that you should keep in mind is that the styluses are very light weight, the pen you will customize will not be as light and probably tire your hand/arm when drawing.

Yes its possible, with the know how and with the proper tools. Just like creating a home made cintiq is possible too. anything is possible, as long as you try and are willing to live with the consequences and results. I say do it, if you got the $$ to spare a replacement pen.( I paid about $50 for mine from coolgraphicstuff.com)
    I suppose that's what I was trying to say, although not as nicely and not in so many words. Please excuse my asshatery, while I go eat some children and rip wings off fairies.
    Rist, if you're still interested in trying I have a semi-broken intuos2 stylus laying around that I could pick apart and see what could happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Maybe experiment with some cheaper stylus made by the crappy brands.
    They use batteries, but other than that, I don't imagine the components would differ all that much.

Thanks
    Instead of replying to people you could have done your homework. on the WACOM site:

http://www.wacom-components.com/engl...ogy/index.html

and here:

http://www.wacom-components.com/engl...ology/emr.html

read up. learn. maybe you'll have a shot at breaking open your grip pen and what not. probably not. but still.

knowledge.