Thread: Tablet?

Thanks

Tablet?

Hey, everyone. I"m a high school student (11th grade) and I have high hopes for going to college and becoming a professional artist. I've been drawing all of my life. I can draw no problem. But, usually I"m limited to just pencils, ink, and charcoal. My mom won't allow me to use paints because I tend to be clumsy and spill things. So, I'm thinking that digital paint is the way to go. So, my question is, should I get a tablet? If so, any suggestions of a cheap type of tablet that would be good for a "noob"?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    in my opinion

ur best bet in my opinion for now is to save like 120 us dollars... (tops by the way.. retail is around 100) and just get a 4x5 wacom off the internet somewhere. some may say its small. but i think its just fine with most things.. u can always upgrade later and who knows what will be happenin in 5 years from now.. good luck - ry

edit: oh yes and i myself use one, and am 16/17 much like yourself. so this is personal experience talking

Thanks
    Since the Christmas season is coming i suggest try getting a new Tablet..Wacom Intuos 2 6x8 for about 300...or lower if you go on Ebay...

Make sure the previous owner didn't register it either, so you could register it yourself, and take adavantage of Wacoms Privileges Program...you can get Painter 8 for 129...

Painter 8 mimcs painting mediums lovely..

You'd be basically set from there...and it would be a nice gift from the folks to you...
    Last edited by bRyaN; October 5th, 2003 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks
    There's basically two options for tablets. Wacom is the good/premium kind and Aiptek is a cheaper brand. The difference in price is HUGE - for a 9x12 Aiptek you'll pay less than $150 new. For a Wacom that big you're looking at over $450. I would try calling as many computer stores in your area as you can find and see if you can find one with display models to try so you can get a feeling for what size would be comfortable/workable. But don't buy your tablet from a local store! Chances are you'll pay a whole lot more than from the 'net.

I'd highly suggest watching ebay for a good deal on a slightly used tablet. I got my 6x8 Wacom Intuos with all the accessories but not the software for $200. I think it's the perfect size, it fits on my desk well and I never feel constricted drawing on it.

The manufacturer's websites:
    www.wacom.com
    www.aiptek.com

A thread with some tablet discussion on another board.

Thanks
    learn traditionally first, then go digital. only then will you reap the rewards of the new medium.

Thanks
    Reveille at five in the morning, as usual.

Thanks
    That site is greeat....WOW!!

Do you have to necessarily be an art student....because i'm no longer a student, but my younger bro goes to Barauch, could i use him to get software??

Thanks
    I just want to add that most artists think aiptek is not an option.
    At least test the tablet somewhere, somehow before you buy an aiptek.
    With Wacom you can't go wrong IMO.

If you want to be a professional artist better look at the work posted here to see what the industry demands.
    There have been people who drew anime and didn't believe that they'd need to work on their drawing skills too.

It also can't hurt to get decent hosting for an online portfolio and if you want to post images here.
    Free hosts suck these days

Thanks
    lol i could buy things from that website even if i wasn't a student. My mom is a teacher

Anyway, I was looking up the differences between intuos and intuos 2, and there wasn't really much of a difference. And, I couldn't get a brand new (or used) intuos2 because for christmas my mom is getting me and my brother a new PC. So, the money that I'm going to spend on the tablet is going to be cash from relatives (probably around $150). I'm also considering the aiptek but those have significant lower pressure levels then the intuos. Would a begineer, like me, notice the difference between the two?

And, I used to draw anime. It totally killed my imaginiation and my own style. Because, I was just trying to copy everyone else. So that why I"m trying to transfer over to traditional, fine arts because of college coming up.
    (Also, my mom's school just bought a new $200 scanner and a $400 olympis (spelling error) digital camera, I'll use those to post some of my work and start to create a digital portfolio)

Last edited by AnarchyAo2; October 5th, 2003 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    ---
    Last edited by Signature; October 5th, 2003 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    as Capt.Harlock stated, the best digital artists are often the ones who have had a very intensive traditional educational background. the pity today is that peeps go straight to the end of the adventure, without trying to understand.
    it is a good thing to enter into the world of digital painting, but be sure to know how to hold a real pencil first.

and yes, from that point of view, anime is a catastrophy.
    there should not have been any "transfer" from the start, and fine arts cannot be compared to the anime world.

sparth

Thanks
    Maybe if I throw a tarp down in my room, my mom will let me get some real paints. I'm seriously doubting it though.

Thanks
    Dude if you have to you should paint outside...and honestly, your mom is kinda having a knee jerk reaction to what MIGHT happen...paint can come off, you would just need to get it professionally done...

But if you absolutely have to get a tarp...orsomething you can put on the floor while you paint...

Thanks
    Well, the reason why she is so afraid to let me have paints is because we live in a appartment. So, if I make a giant mess its going to cost us. But, while in the car yesterday I convinced her to let me transfer my sister's bedroom into a painting room (my sister went off to college a month ago). And lay down old blankets or tarps so that paint doesn't get on the floor. And, Its going to be great because I live in the suburbs so, if I look one direction, all I see is mountains, but if I look another I can see people at a lil park at the apartment complex. So, I could do some life paintings there also.

Which brings me to my next question. My mom is a teacher, and whenever she buys software, school supplies, hardware stuff etc. She likes to use her "teacher discount" privaledge. Would anyone here know where I could find a website that offered these priviledges? (lol, spelling error)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    If space and mess are an issue, start with gouache (opaque watercolor). Get a tube each of black and white and some good quality brushes and realy learn to handle the paint before you even worry about color.

Thanks
    Hey, thats a great idea. Plus, I can afford a 2 tubes of paint (black and white) and a couple of brushes. So, I could probably go out and get some when my mom gets back from work.