Interview help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Interview help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Interview help

Hi everyone,

I'm an Illustration major at NHIA, I've been lurkin' on here for quite a while. I'm writing a research paper and I need to interview someone either knowledgeable about or a member of the 'Concept Art' field. Or neither.

My thesis is that Concept Art is bridging the 'digital' and 'tranditional' worlds of art. It's more along the lines of an expository paper, so I'm lookin for information pretaining to both the Entertainment industry (ie. games, film, etc) and personal work (ie. gallery peices, comissioned work).

I'm also just looking to personnaly find out even more information about the history, foundation, and trends in Concept Art. If you could help, just let me know in here, or email me:

coco_da_monke@hotmail.com OR mbeasley@nhia.edu

Thanks for any help. Oh and the 'interview' is basically an email with a few questions. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, havn't received any help so far, which really blows. So I'm just going to post a few questions on here and hope that someone replies to them. . .

Thanks to anyone who can help.

What made you want to become a concept artist?

Have you/do you hope to work in the Gaming Industry, and why?

What have your experiences with games been? Mostly positive, or has the work proven tedious and mundane?

Do you feel Concept Artists are given enough recognition for their contributions to games? In the artistic community in general?

What is your average day like, throughout the process?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, the questions you have posted usually are answered quite frequently by artist's in magazines like "Imagine FX" maybe go out and get a copy might be a solution, anyway good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Herm, yeah. I own a single copy of ImagineFX which I actually found while on vacation. The price tag made my jaw drop, but I still think it was worth it. However, I was specifically told that I had to interview someone/s myself. So using a magazine wasn't an option.

But, since my paper is due tomorrow at 1, is 40% of my final grade, and my extreme laziness has shown through once again, I'm not fully prepared. Thank god my writing skills far surpass my current artistic abilities.

Thanks anyway mate! By the way, where in Aus do you live? And a more important question, know a (heaps) good school for aspiring concept artists down under? I really miss living down there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tell your teacher that the internet is getting sick of this assignment getting handed out every semester and that we would like it if you simply taught your students what you want them to know, rather than making them go on some bullshit quest through the forums to find it from someone else.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    Herm, yeah. I own a single copy of ImagineFX which I actually found while on vacation. The price tag made my jaw drop, but I still think it was worth it. However, I was specifically told that I had to interview someone/s myself. So using a magazine wasn't an option.

But, since my paper is due tomorrow at 1, is 40% of my final grade, and my extreme laziness has shown through once again, I'm not fully prepared. Thank god my writing skills far surpass my current artistic abilities.

Thanks anyway mate! By the way, where in Aus do you live? And a more important question, know a (heaps) good school for aspiring concept artists down under? I really miss living down there.
    No prob good luck, I was silly enough to buy a house in WA 2 years ago and i am still stuck here because of it WA is a massive bumpkin town with no worthwhile schools at all *cries* don't get me started on it. if your coming to Aus for an education, i recommend going East!!.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir View Post
    tell your teacher that the internet is getting sick of this assignment getting handed out every semester and that we would like it if you simply taught your students what you want them to know, rather than making them go on some bullshit quest through the forums to find it from someone else.
    Um, yeah. Sorry? What?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He's saying that these "homework" questions pop up a little too often on art forums and that it's lazy teaching disguised as "research practice".

And he's right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, well it seems we've all missed the point here, so I'm just going to move on.

Thanks anway guys.

++EDIT++

So I followed your advice; I showed my teacher your posts. We were both confused. We came to the conclusion (as did the every other person I asked seeing as it was by far the most bizarre response I've ever heard) that it's just trolling.

She never directed me to this website. She didn't write those questions. I did. The 'interview questions' were meant only as a supplement to the four books I read, which made up the vast majority of my paper. I had hoped to get a real artists input, so I did some searches through the forums here but couldn't find what I was looking for. So I decided I'd make my own post and hope for some real help.

And what is 'lazy' teaching? I was always under the impression that teaching means dick if the student isn't willing to do the work? And that you can go to the crappiest state school and still get the education you want if you put the effort in?

But I guess not, because I should ONLY learn what my teacher tells me, and never investigating anything on my own right?

I think my main problem is that I actually came here thinking this was an open community for artists to learn and educate one another. How ignorant I really am.

Last edited by coco; April 17th, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Just Following Advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.