Wacom cintiq tablet, which one to get?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wacom cintiq tablet, which one to get?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom cintiq tablet, which one to get?

Ok, for my 18th birthday I am going to aquire a Wacom cintiq tablet.

There are three types, the 12wx (1000$), the 20wsx (2000$), and the 21ux (2500$).

Which one do you reccomend? right now im leaning towards the 20swx because im really not sure whats better about the 21 ux and why it costs more. i can tell the 20wsx is better then the 12 wx because of size, thats ovious.

but other then that is there any other improvements from one model to the next?

discuss

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

Last edited by Pavel Sokov; April 5th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 20 is widescreen. It says "a widescreen alternative to the 21", so one can assume that it has ditto features, just proportioned different.
    Oh yeah, happy birthday. That's a cool present!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may be wrong but I believe someone had posted here about problems with the 12. If I remember correctly, the 12 is not intended for prolonged, professional use...it's more like a casual tool for dabblers, as it's not properly shielded from magnetism of other electronic devices or something to that effect. On the other hand, someone else said the 12 is fantastic for casual sketching, i.e. you can carry around easily enough, lay it flat on a table, spin it around like you would a pad of paper, etc.

Anyway, assuming you intend to do fulltime graphics work on your cintiq, I'd recommend the 21 first and foremost... most bang for you buck it seems. And if you've got some extra cash to burn afterwards, also get the 12 as a more portable, lightweight solution (should be able to carry it around with a laptop easily enough and set up to sketch in a coffee shop for example) Either way, double check on what I've said because this info is just from memory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha my bday is may second, so not just yet. I live in Canada and called cuircut city in NYC, and the idiot that picked up told me they have two cintiq tablets on hand. so i drove for 9 hours to NYC with my family, saw the car show, a bunch of other things, and get to cuircut city, and it turns out that guy doesnt know anything, and that they only have the 12 wx tablet online order only, therefore no in store. they dont ship the tablet to canada.

so right now wer trying to figure that out, maybe ship it to plattsburg and come there and pick it up.

gorilla, ur words make the 12wx sound awful. i saw a bunch of reviews, they just got the thing and loved it, but i never read what happens with it long term.

u said the 12wx is portable and got to lay on a table. is the 21 not good to lay on a table? how come? is it too fat and heavy?

when i get one of these things, i was hoping to lay it on my table and draw like i do with paper. I never ever liked the artistic stand style of drawing, so thats not for me.

and well im not doing fulltime graphics work, i am 17 and no one would wonna hire me, and im going into business school haha! but i want to feed my "talent" throughout my life, no matter what my actual occupation is, so this tablet is a perfect way to be efficient in the digital field.

and hey, id kill for a summer job as an artist for a video game company. ok i wouldnt "kill" anyone, but id love a summer job like that.

and well haha i cant get two, im a kid haha, im lucky enough to be offered one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    The 20 is widescreen. It says "a widescreen alternative to the 21", so one can assume that it has ditto features, just proportioned different.
    Oh yeah, happy birthday. That's a cool present!
    Cool does not begin to describe.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Haha, I never tried it but I certainly wouldn't say its awful. From what I've heard, its pretty great actually...just not built for repeated 10 hour work days. But who knows, I could be way off the mark so definitely check out some users reviews and maybe email wacom directly as well. Considering you aren't actually using it professionally, the cintiq 12 might be the perfect choice for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my regular wacom tablet is the tiniest version possible, and it still works fine after like 2-3 years. my cintiq tablet has to last me like a decade because its kickass, and EVERYONE should save up to get one.

i almost cry of anticipation when i think about the possiblity that my digital drawings wont look an 80 year old man with parkinsons desease drew them, and will look as solid and detailed as my pencil drawings.

anyone that actualy has the cintiq tablets here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I have a 21UX, and very happy with it, apart from an annoying button issue when it gets hot. The button gets pressed and pulls up the on screen control box.

When I got the cintiq I was initially a little disappointed, it seems like it's going to be the best thing ever, and it's not quite, but after you use it for a couple of hours and days it's very hard to imagine going back to a normal tablet.

I would recommend it for professionals because it does speed things up, I used to never be able to use a tablet to draw so I had to draw on paper, scan it, adjust the scan and then paint on the computer, the cintiq allows me to skip the whole paper process saving some time and money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its not the best thing ever? how so?
    it seems like litteraly the coolest art device POSSIBLE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it possible for you to take photos of it, including yourself or your arm with it so i can see the scale of this thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to pose, I can't let my secret Identity out, that's how they get you! But here's a pic for scale. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm looks huge, the same size as ur monitor. im trying to get the scale right in my head. iv got a 19 inch monitor, it seems about the same size as the tablet?

thank you very much for the photo, but also can you explain why its not the best thing ever?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My other monitor is a 24" widescreen. Well it certainly is great and I wouldn't want to work with out one again. It's just that it seems like it will be the best thing ever, your expectations are sky high, so when you get to use it for the first time it's hard to live up to those expectaions, like I said after using it for a little while you don't want to use anything else. Oh and I can have a very critical attitude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have 21UX, and it is great. I tried 12wx and 20wsx at WonderCon this year. The 12Wx is not as portable as it seems. With the outside borders, 12wx's size is more like a 14-15 inch laptop. The 20wsx is great. I like the widescreen that you can put all the tools at the side.

BTW, Wacom offer $500 rebate for 21UX till the end of this month,

Cintiq21UX Rebate

Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh holy shit, i gotta make use of that!
    thanks man! its definately getting bought this month, since my bday is may second.
    great news!

i guess thats the one im buying then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the 21 is HUGE. I mean friggin HUGE. Look at your forearm, and imagine laying it on top of the surface, and you still have room to spare. A few guys at work have them and they are dreamtastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredGorilla View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe someone had posted here about problems with the 12. If I remember correctly, the 12 is not intended for prolonged, professional use...it's more like a casual tool for dabblers, as it's not properly shielded from magnetism of other electronic devices or something to that effect. On the other hand, someone else said the 12 is fantastic for casual sketching, i.e. you can carry around easily enough, lay it flat on a table, spin it around like you would a pad of paper, etc.

Anyway, assuming you intend to do fulltime graphics work on your cintiq, I'd recommend the 21 first and foremost... most bang for you buck it seems. And if you've got some extra cash to burn afterwards, also get the 12 as a more portable, lightweight solution (should be able to carry it around with a laptop easily enough and set up to sketch in a coffee shop for example) Either way, double check on what I've said because this info is just from memory

You mentioned they shielding issues - I hav heard from many people - all professionals that the shielding issues are present on all models - and that it is only evident in the corners of the cintiq - the area of effect is only approximately 5mm - slightly less, so it's barely noticeable, but it's more noticeable on the 12" one as it is so much smaller than the others.
    This interference comes from the actual screen behind the drawings surface as there is not enough shielding in the corners/edges of the screen.

Aside from that the only main differences between the models is the size, the ratio. the 12" one is also wide screen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well with this 500$ rebate, the 21 seems to be the logical choice. i mean... lets not get the 12, since its small, so the 20 is ok, but this month the 20 is the same price as the 21, so 21 it is!

im so glad i made this thread and found out about the disccount

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait a minute. the 20wsx has better features. not only does it have 14 buttons on it opposed to only 8. it has better specs

the only ONLY minus is that its' 2 inched less in height to make it widescreen.. 2inches is nothing compared to better specs. such as better dot pitch.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the pixel pitch is actualy lower, it rounds up to 0.26 on the 20, and its 0.27 on the 21.

whats the contrast ratio do? whats the bigger brightness do?
    the viewing angle is pretty obvious, thats always a good thing to have.

so whats a dot pitch as well? thats the most important question.

im not doubting you, i am just trying to understand these specs to see if the 20 is better then the 21 CONSIDERING that i am ordering it this month, and this month they are the same price.

also, i dont think my monitor has a dvi thing, is that bad? i can still make my tablet dvi to dvi? u plug one dvi end to the tablet, and the other to your video card? is that how it works with this thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I got the Wacom 12WX a feel months ago, hope I can help.

Initially i was a bit disappointed about how small it is, but now I'm pleased I got it.

I'm using it with a laptop display, and I find the extra express key that is set to switch between monitors really handy. My laptop screen is the primary and i can easily us the Cintiq to remotely navigate around stuff, and switch back for direct control of the canvas. I duplicate the canvas window and have a large zoomed out view on my monitor. I then use the cintiq for detail drawing. Not the ideal situation but its OK

I ensure that the canvas is the ONLY thing on the tablet, ensure the 'pop-up menu' feature is set to an express key for easy navigation (to select brush) and try to not work with the menus at all. The other option is tabbing to switch menus on and off, and pile all the windows into the middle in one mode.

The feel at the size it is, the only way its usuable if you chuck everything else off it.

There's no way at this time I could easily afford the extra $1000/1000 for the 21UX or 20??. I pleased, and feel it is a improvement over normal, non direct contact tablets.

On the issue alignment issue near the edge, its annoying, but it is doesn't affect my drawing at all. Just clicking the start button.

Hope that was ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys i dont mean to jack the thread but i have similar concerns

Unlike the original poster, I am planning on going professionally into a field in film or game design and will be using electronic mediums in my upcoming sophomore year at art school.

I was pretty set on getting the 12wx to link to my macbook however...with the recent price drop on the 21ux it is the same prices as the 20...but still twice the price of the 12wx. A friend just graduated and got a 12wx and loves it however, i like to work on my image as a whole and not zoom to do just do minor details at a time...is the screen really that small? should i just work to save that $1000 or should i go for the $2000 cinitiqs?

Thanks guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pavel (ya tozhe Pavel ), smaller dot pitch means that the pixels are smaller in size, resulting in a "smoother" display. Monitors with bigger dot pitch look more grainier (like some Dell screens I've seen, looks as if you work is drawn using chalk). Higher contrast ratio means that, there are more gradations between full black and full white.

Hope that helps. (edit: ack, realised it's been posted few months ago..)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieccad View Post
    in my upcoming sophomore year at art school...should i go for the $2000 cinitiqs?
    Since you seem to have no need for Financial Aid, sure go get the larger one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ide definately go with the 21ux. I had recently bought the smaller 12ux or whatever its called, as i thought it would just be like drawing in a smaller book, but it scales everything down and I didnt like it at all. Luckily the place i bought it from were willing to swap for the 21 ux.

This is just my bad luck, but when i got my 21 it had dead pixels all over it, so be sure to check when you get yours. The replacement i have now has vertical bands going down every now and then but they fade away after 30 seconds.. probably due to being so close to my computer.

"was pretty set on getting the 12wx to link to my macbook however...with the recent price drop on the 21ux it is the same prices as the 20...but still twice the price of the 12wx. A friend just graduated and got a 12wx and loves it however, i like to work on my image as a whole and not zoom to do just do minor details at a time...is the screen really that small? should i just work to save that $1000 or should i go for the $2000 cinitiqs?"

go with the bigger one, with the smaller one you will be zooming constanly. Which was the issue i had with mine Also the 12ux isnt that portable anyway with all the cables and such that u need to have plugged in to use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Noldorin,

I really appreciate it man! yeah it was the 21ux i fell in love with but when they came out with the new 20 and 12, i figured the 12 was the perfect deal to go with... the problem with wacom is they still seem pretty elusive when it comes to finding them in brick and mortar computer stores. I would really think that mac would provide a better presence for wacom considering they go hand in hand usually (sorry pc users)... but nope...no where to try them out first

Of course i now have quite a ways to go in terms of saving, but i want a tablet that i will have for years to come until i am earning the money to upgrade to whatever is newer and better...

i will defintly look into the 21...o and btw guys...one of the points of the 12 i really liked was that you could just put it in your lab or flat on a tabel....how far will the 21 tilt down...or is it ok to just take it off the stand and lay it flat on a table?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can tilt the 21 right down so its pretty much flat, or you can ditch the whole stand all together and have it flat. Its actually made to work that way, u just have to open this little panel thing and put the cord in it so the tablet doesnt crush it when its lying flat.

Its definately worth saving for. As the guys at my work said.. its an investment, some point down the road u could do some freelance work and pay it back no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got the 20WSX about a week ago, and I'm completely happy with it. I like the aspect ratio, the touch strips on the back are very easy to use, and it has that nice, textured feel to it others have mentioned.

When I first decided to get one, the 21" was still $500 more than the 20", so that had tilted me towards the 20" initially. But even with he price drop, I still feel for me the 20WSX was the way to go.

That being said, I can't imagine that any of them would be bad - I've always been very satisfied with every Wacom product I've used. They make good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking into getting either 20wsx or 21ux but I'm tipping towards 20wsx because of the better specs. I've been trying to find more specific pictures of the cords and of the back of the 20wsx but it's hard to come up with any. I'd be stoked if someone wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of the cords and the back of the 20wsx.

Thanks a lot!

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try to remember to snap some when I get home.

basically, the USB, video, and power cable are all bundled into one thick cable that separates at the end, so you only have to deal with one cable coming our of the Cintiq instead of getting tangled up with three.

pretty slick.

I'll try to get some pics posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1