Art: The Colossus!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Colossus!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Colossus!

Colossus from xmen. I am doing this for a friend's bday and unfortunately will have to give it away as soon as im done.

Currently still a work in progress. In these shots colossus is fully sculpted and baked, but the base is not.

note: the ridiculous "muscles" aren't actualy muscles, so interpret them as a design choice, a sort of alienesque "Texture" if you will.

(painted photos coming soon)

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pavel Sokov; April 4th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Anatomy! Did you reference Rob Lefield art for this piece? There's a lot of work to be done on this man, starting with studying some anatomy. You've got at least 2 or 3 dozen muscles in there that don't exist, and they're all upper body. It also looks like his arms are swallowing his hands, they look like they were ripped of an action figure. If this is just a one off for a friend then right on, but if you actually wanna do some sculpting, you've gotta hit the anatomy books. Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy is a choice one, and my personal favorite, also some of Andy Smith's "how to draw comics books" kick ass as well. Keep at it man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no dude, haha, let me explain myself. My anatomy is actualy fine in all my other works, but the thing is with this piece i made a choice to not allow him to be based off the human anatomy too much. The reason for that is that i wanted him to look as less human as possible, and more of an engineered machine rather then what the colossus actualy is, and that is a mutant. do you understand what i mean? i didnt want this to be a man that got radiated an turned into metal, i wanted this to be a sci-fi alienesque machine that was built from scratch.

The "bubbly" growths aren't muscles, I am not actualy retarded haha, i know where every single muscle is and i can sculpt and draw them correctly. Now knowing that, try to see the piece through my eyes, see it as sci-fi, as alien, and hopefully you will get a different impression from it. im about to post the painted photos, give them a look and see if u understood what i mean. Its like if i sculpted this http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Robot/Robot4.JPG and you would start telling me that the anatomy is off haha.

photo with a flash:

The Colossus!

photos without the flash:

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

The Colossus!

Last edited by Pavel Sokov; April 4th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice.

he looks like he's dressed in bubble wrap
    kidding

great painting
    great concept

Being Happy is Nice

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mufizal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man! you guys are just jelouse of how intense he is with his 30 million bubble muscles!

I decided i am not done painting, I think i will inject more bronze in this piece. All of the spinal cord things will be bronze, the X's on his arms, the 2 circles right under his chest,etc.

i felt as though hes too bland, he only has 2 colours: body, and hair colour (which goes from black to lead colour, which i achieved accidently. i spray painted this beast originlly with very light silver. and then i painted the hair a very dark grey. and then as i painted the rest and held him by the head the grey would come off creating a sick lead colour that i have no idea how to achieve any other way. too bad i accidentally scratched it a million times, but whatever, wel call it battle damage)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, it's a nice concept, but you need to work on your anatomy. Even if all the bumpy pits are for effect, the underlying anatomy is still wrong. He seems too stocky. I like it, but If it was more realistic and looked more like the comics, it would be much better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Briantoreilly616 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i wanted to make something extremely different then the classic colossus, thats the fun for me when drawing trademarked characters. And i see in this case the bubble idea didnt seem to strike that many people as being "cool" haha, and the ridiculous proportions (titanic arms swallowing little hands). They were all my design choices, unfortunately doesn't seem like succesful ones but what can i do.
    you win some, you loose some haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I like the concept Pavel and I think you pulled it off really well. I love new, original takes
    on classic characters, and this is definitely unique. He looks powerful and thick as a brick sh!thouse,
    which is perfect for Colossus. I've only got three small issues with this one:

(1) I would have liked to have seen a little of the organic effect that you have on his upper torso
    replicated on his lower half. Not much, just a few well-placed sections to tie it all together more.

(2) The feet could have used just a tiny bit more work.

(3) I would have liked to have seen the head smaller. It's a little big right now and I think shrinking
    it some would have made him look even more massive and been more consistent with his smaller
    hands and feet (which I don't mind, by the way).

Overall, I really like it Pavel. Including the paint job, I think it's good work all around.

Troy

http://www.themcdevittstudio.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    "It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool." - Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

12. The Following User Says Thank You to troyboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks troyboy! I'm glad you understood what i was doing here.

i agree on all 3 points actualy, the legs are inconsistent with the top half, and i should of thought that out more. i am a not big fan of drawing or sculpting feet so i avoid that as much as i can so they could use more work.

the smaller head is a shame, because it really would have gotten my point across and make him look more like a colossus. the whole reason why i made his pose unstandable on his own and added a base with dead cyclops on it is because he looked like a fat midget.

back when i started out he had a small head but the same size arms, it looked hype oh man, i wish i had magic powers and could shrink the head like a digital 3d model.

i added bronze because i thought the uniform colour was boring. il put up shots tommorow, check back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are not muscles haha, i'm telling you guys.
    this wasn't leanardo da vinci's anatomical study, this is a sci-fi alien robot with a strange bubble texture haha

Last edited by Pavel Sokov; April 6th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: ok im guilty of having not read your disclaimer at the top forgive me. Now after having read throug the whole thread thus far I still feel as though the visual gimmic that has been employed to give him some authentisity is still meshing as akward anatomy. One thing that you should always remember and this is something that was always mentioned in each and every design and fine art class i have taken in my education is that if you have to spell it out or explain it to us then it isnt working. If you new that there was 80% chance that this would have been percieved as bad anatomy then I would have hit the drawing board working on ways of achieving my visual intent with out making that perception so obvious.One side note: not sure your a double dragon fan but your characters face has a real resemblence to abobo one of the thug enemies

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    They are not muscles haha, i'm telling you guys.
    this wasn't leanardo da vinci's anatomical study, this is a sci-fi alien robot with a strange bubble texture haha
    I thought this was meant to be Colossus: a human being with human anatomy that gets covered by organic metal...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you described is the actual colossus character, and when I remake a character i like to remake the origin and backstory as well. this one is an alien built robot. (I'm aware that's not colossus at all, but I wanted to interpret him as an engineered being, rather then a born one)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    Edit: ok im guilty of having not read your disclaimer at the top forgive me. Now after having read throug the whole thread thus far I still feel as though the visual gimmic that has been employed to give him some authentisity is still meshing as akward anatomy. One thing that you should always remember and this is something that was always mentioned in each and every design and fine art class i have taken in my education is that if you have to spell it out or explain it to us then it isnt working. If you new that there was 80% chance that this would have been percieved as bad anatomy then I would have hit the drawing board working on ways of achieving my visual intent with out making that perception so obvious.One side note: not sure your a double dragon fan but your characters face has a real resemblence to abobo one of the thug enemies

haha ya i remember double dragon from when i was like 6 years old, it was too difficult for me to get past the first stage.

but you know what? I didnt think there were gonna be any problems with perception on this piece. everyone i showed it to prior to this, my friends, and 1 pro artist has not interpreted it as bad anatomy. I am surprised about this development actualy, I didn't think people on this forum think im retarded and believe that the human body has 30 million bubbles on the upper torso, but was too optimistic it seems haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [quote]=The "bubbly" growths aren't muscles, I am not actualy retarded haha, i know where every single muscle is and i can sculpt and draw them correctly. Now knowing that, try to see the piece through my eyes, see it as sci-fi, as alien, and hopefully you will get a different impression from it. im about to post the painted photos, give them a look and see if u understood what i mean. Its like if i sculpted this http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Robot/Robot4.JPG and you would start telling me that the anatomy is off haha.[quote]

Hello Pavel,

I hope you don't mind, but I really do have to echo everyone else's observations and thoughts on your sculpt, especially the last one by Robert. So I won't repeat what they say. But I will add that in one of your comments, you gave a link to a picture that you reffered to get an idea of what you are talking about. The attached image is a nice robot image, which you can see has moveable joints and you could imagine easily that it would be able to walk. BUT although we appreciate that your dude has exaggerated muscles and bubbles on top of his meaty body, then wouldn't it be difficult for him to move? He doesn't really look as though he'd be able to put his hands together or be able to fold his arms. Also, his shoulders look bigger than his waist, have you heard of Ron Lefield? He does the same thing.. but all the time, and he draws humans. What some artists do is that if they're not entirely sure about a piece they are working on, they put it away and leave it for a few days, then look at it again with a fresh perspective on how they can change or improve it. I hope that what I have said has helped or at least made you think. Anyway, good luck with this piece.

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dreamsorcerer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The metal effect is great, but about the character's proportions: I found him a little bit fat :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dream Sorcerer: Thank you! Well ya, i can agree that he wouldn't be the most mobile character ever, and he would probably fall through every floor he ever tried to walk on, but.. i didnt think of those things haha.
    And ya I heard of Rob Liefeld, the most hated man in comics and overall awful artist. It sucks being compared to him haha.
    btw I am very honoured that someone with your intense skills has decided to comment on my statue

madm4tt:
    ya i can see why you find him fat. its mostly the leg proportions that give that feel, with the little feet and all.

all this bubble talk reminds me of the internet game called "bubble trouble"

Last edited by Pavel Sokov; April 7th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Pavel Sokov;1715426]Dream Sorcerer: Thank you! Well ya, i can agree that he wouldn't be the most mobile character ever, and he would probably fall through every floor he ever tried to walk on, but.. i didnt think of those things haha.
    And ya I heard of Rob Liefeld, the most hated man in comics and overall awful artist. It sucks being compared to him haha.
    btw I am very honoured that someone with your intense skills has decided to comment on my statue QUOTE]

Hi Pavel,

I'm glad that I didn't offend you in my post. What I meant was about Rob Lefield is that, yes he is the most hated man in comics, but the point I was trying to make is that he has no reason to super over exaggerate his characters, and they are *meant to be* human beings, BUT at least your character is somewhat alien, and it seems that you have had some excuse for your exaggerated anatomy. Really though whatever all of us are trying to really do in this thread is to help you or nudge you in the right direction, and we wish you all the best intentions only. And thank you for your kind words, although very much undeserved! Good luck and enjoy!

Check out my scary monster thread!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109738

Want lotsa sculpture resources? Add some if you want to!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=154013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the problem people are having is that there doesnt seem to be any basis in real anatomy that might help anchor the model. the alien cable idea is an interesting concept, but the way its just slapped on gives no indication of being something that could actually exist. h. r. giger's creatures are all cable-y and strange, but they always look like they could exist because they have a basis in real anatomy/biology.

hope all that made sense!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.