Art: Wooden Manikins?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wooden Manikins?

I just got a wooden maniken, about 12" tall or so. Some people say they're more of a hinderance to figure drawing, and some say they're the next best thing to having a live model when you dont have access to one.

Just curious what other people think. Thought I might give it a try.

- loken
    jtriska @ mcleodusa.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have one, not sure where it came from , and its missing a leg. I see it as an aid for someone who needs to see a certain perspective to capture it just right (they're pretty good for this if you place them on the floor below you or up above you, just to get the jist of the angle you want to begin with) - or for someone who doesnt want to draw while posing themselves in the mirror. :p
    So yeah its basically a model replacement.

:machinegu :fruit: :chainsaw:
    ...leave that ghost alone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been playing around with it, and know what I discovered? Just playing around with it is kind of a teaching aid. I came up with a dozen different poses I wouldnt of thought of from my imagination. Granted, it lacks a lot of mobility compared to the true human form, however it is a good imaginitive aid.

Gesture drawing of the real human form would most likely help more though I think. Sigh. Soon!

- loken
    jtriska @ mcleodusa.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have three... and do not use them as much as I should (regarding the money I spent on them... :mad: ). The left one was bought while still at high school, the right one I bought when restarting to draw (about two years ago) - I hoped that the disks in the middle would be more flexible than the standard body construction with the ball in the middle. I was proved wrong .

Then, about one year ago I discovered a mannikin that promised to become my tool - the man in the middle .

They are produced in Japan and as far as I know, Hobbylink is the only one to send them abroad (at least to Germany). I had to wait two months for it and then it arrived without a head (the one I originally wanted had been sold out) - and had to re-order another head. Apart from that, their service was good.

You can find them here:

http://www.hlj.com/cgi-local/hljlist.cgi#Neo-Guy

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the one on the right with the bendable torso.. it is rather stiff. And I couldn't possibly make it cross its legs like the one in the middle.

The one in the middle looks really nice. Wish I had the money for it though.

- loken
    jtriska @ mcleodusa.net

Hudnut Guest

loken-

Check out the Art S. Buck male and female manikins produced by Sideshow Toy. You can find sites all over the web that sell them for about $20 each (just search google.com for sideshow toys), and I believe they'll ship them anywhere. They are much more posable than the wooden manikins and have more anatomical information.

But the wooden manikins are very useful for visualizing the basic volumes of the figure, especially when you are trying to draw a foreshortened pose, or if you are just trying to learn and memorize the basic proportions of the figure.

As for manikin use in general, when you don't have access to a model, they are the next best thing. Plus you can get the manikin to hold poses that many models would not be willing or able to hold.

And when you use your own knowledge of anatomy and memory of the figure from life in conjunction with the manikin, you can get usable drawings out of it. And you have a real 3-dimensional object to check your proportions against.

When you put it all together, you can use what you've learned from studying the simplified forms of the manikin with your knowledge of the living figure and create illustrations of the figure entirely from memory

The manikin is a tool that I use to enhance what I've learned from studying the figure from life. Both are important to study, and both have their limitations (life drawing classes are expensive, the models are not always enthusiastic about their job, and when you have a deadline and it's 2:30am, and you need a pose, you can always use the manikin to set up exactly what you need.)

Good luck!

-Dave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dave, wow, thanks for the insight. Those drawings you did based on it rock.

Methinks I'll definately have to shake the couch of cash to buy me one.

- loken
    jtriska @ mcleodusa.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.