Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

New Hellboy II trailer

Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Lofgren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hell yeah, saw this yesterday... The creatures are awesome. Can't wait to see this!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,769 Posts
    Damn!
    i saw that four wing creature dude
    and thought BARLOWE right away!

all the designs look great, can't wait,
    im excited about it now :-D
    thanks for the link Eric Lofgren

seems the reworked the hellboy face mask too

it all looks great

Thanks
    "You woke up the baby"

Hehehe

This looks spectacular and from what I read, the script is pretty spectacular. Also, a proper villain. Coolness.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    a good script? impossible!
    hehehe,now really looking forward to it...hope it isn't all one liners again.
    aweeeeesome creatures
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robogabo View Post
    Damn!

thanks for the link Eric Lofgren
    My pleasure

If anyone is intersted and hasn't checked it out yet, del Toro has a site dedicated to the production of the movie- http://www.hellboymovie.com/production/

This is one to the things that makes del Toro probably my favourite director right now. It's not just his strengths as a visionary director that I like so much. It's also his eagerness to share info such as background material with anyone who will listen. It's indicative of his love for the genre, the film medium, as well as the fans. And his love of monsters. He's on record (A Charlie Rose interview I saw) as saying he'll never make a movie without some sort of monster in it. You gotta love the guy just for that

There's a great little video there of the meeting he had with the creature designers, as well as Mike, talking about the look he wanted for the film's various fauna. The guy has a good sense of design going on in his head. I can see why he uses Barlowe a lot, as they seem to be a perfect fit as far as actual monster design goes.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog

Thanks
    This movie is officially going to be so awesome.

Thanks
    Ive been looking for art books along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth and HB2. Does anyone know the other concept artist working with Guillermo Del Toro besides Barlow?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slangford View Post
    Ive been looking for art books along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth and HB2. Does anyone know the other concept artist working with Guillermo Del Toro besides Barlow?
    If you check out the 'Gallery' section (by way of the 'Gallery' button found on the banner at the top of the page) at this site- http://www.hellboymovie.com/production/ you'll see some of the work of the other concept artists. There's some really nice stuff there

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Awesome stuff! I already watched the trailer over 10 times! cant wait to see the whole film

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Really looking forward to this! I agree with you Eric, I love Del Toro's vision. There's something unique about everything he gets involved with, and I'm loving his choices: one movie over another. I know he didn't direct, but I just saw 'El Orfanato', The Orphanage, and thought it was fantastic! Just bought The Devils Backbone to watch this weekend as well.

Edit: Just noticed that he's attached to Doctor Strange and At The Mountains of Madness. Lovecraft with a Del Toro touch! I tingle!
    Last edited by Aly Fell; April 11th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Just bought The Devils Backbone to watch this weekend as well.
    Devil's Backbone is a very low key story compared to his latest work. But none the less it's a beautiful movie to watch. In many respects it shares the mood in Pan's Labyrinth. I think you'll enjoy it. If you haven't seen them yet, a couple others of his to watch are Mimic (the first one) and Blade II. Both solid movies. There's also Kronos, another movie with Perlman, which I haven't seen yet but would like to.

Edit: Just noticed that he's attached to Doctor Strange and At The Mountains of Madness. Lovecraft with a Del Toro touch! I tingle!
    He's been attached to Mountians for some time now, but it seems to be taking forever to come into production. I gather that Mountains of Madness for del Toro is akin to Jackson's King Kong. In other words a project that will finally come to fruition once he's fully established himself in the Hollywood landscape. Whatever the case many people think it's a movie that must be made and must be made by him only. And I agree And a Dr. Strange movie helmed by del Toro has win written all over it.

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    anyone else notice the super huge Venus of Willendorf statue at the auction?
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lofgren View Post
    There's also Kronos, another movie with Perlman, which I haven't seen yet but would like to..
    Kronos is well worth watching. great twist to the over done vampire thing..

Hellboy 2 looks great, loved the first one, felt that it had the right balance of humour, the characters were well fleshed out for a comic book movie... and it lives up the repeat viewing, ok Rasputin was not as well developed as a villain as he is the graphic novels.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Devil's Backbone is a very low key story compared to his latest work. But none the less it's a beautiful movie to watch. In many respects it shares the mood in Pan's Labyrinth. I think you'll enjoy it. If you haven't seen them yet, a couple others of his to watch are Mimic (the first one) and Blade II. Both solid movies. There's also Kronos, another movie with Perlman, which I haven't seen yet but would like to.
    Watched The Devils Backbone, and thought it was excellent! Del Toro does 'baddies' so well, and yet still manages to present a character that produces at least a small amount of sympathy in us, although this time a very small amount! His themes are all there, orphaned children, the Spanish civil war, basements and general spooky goings on. I saw Kronos years a go but never really followed Del Toro after it, and Mimic didn't do it for me. Apparently it was his worst experience ever, making it, so maybe that shows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman View Post
    Kronos is well worth watching. great twist to the over done vampire thing..
    Yeah, that's what I gather. Really must check that out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Watched The Devils Backbone, and thought it was excellent! Del Toro does 'baddies' so well, and yet still manages to present a character that produces at least a small amount of sympathy in us, although this time a very small amount! His themes are all there, orphaned children, the Spanish civil war, basements and general spooky goings on. I saw Kronos years a go but never really followed Del Toro after it, and Mimic didn't do it for me. Apparently it was his worst experience ever, making it, so maybe that shows.
    Glad you liked it I was actually a little surprised when I saw it as I was expecting something different. But in the end I thought it ended up being a very cool movie.

Mimic was his first American big production. Yeah, it was an awkward movie, but the creature itself is pretty classic del Toro. Assuming he had anything to do with it's design that is. But it does have the creepy factor that he so deftly handles.

Speaking of del Toro thematics (well, in this case quirky motifs), if you look closely at both Blade II and Hellboy you'll find that the protagonists of each eventually find themselves in a room full of abandoned typewriters. In Blade it's above the vampire nightclub and in Hellboy it's in the subway tunnels (where they find the cistern). I've looked but I haven't seen this in any other del Tor movie yet, but if I do see a room full of abandoned typewriters in one more del Toro movie I'll be fully convinced that he's trying to say something to his audience about ....something

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Interview with HBII creature costume maker

Pretty cool little interview discussing the logistics behind much of the prosthetic creature costumes in HBII (with some very neat footage). Which speaks to another cool thing del Toro sticks to- that being the actual use of prosthetics over too much cgi.

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Wow o_o

Of all the comic book movies coming out, this one is highest on my list.

Thanks
    between this. batman and iron man. i'd say the summer's shapin up to be one kickass movie filled summer

Thanks
    Del Toro is the man, absolutely loved everything he has made, the mood, the narration, everything, awesome movies, always interesting to watch. I admired him a lot.

Im really looking forward to this film, it looks like its going to be fun, i definitely enjoyed the first hellboy. Creatures in the trailer are looking great.

I recently heard that he has signed to direct "the hobbit", is it true? i tell ya´ it would put a big smile in my face if it were

Tolkien plus Del Toro have win written all over it.
    Last edited by Renegade89; April 29th, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: redaction mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade89 View Post

I recently heard that he has signed to direct "the hobbit", is it true? i tell ya´ it would put a big smile in my face if it were
    That's what I heard, as well. He's been attached to it for some time now. Him and Sam Raimi. But del Toro was picked as the front runner. I would have been happy either way. I also like Raimi's work, as well.

Del Toro is also rumoured to be interested in tackling Dr. Strange as his next movie after The Hobbit. That could prove reallly intersting

My Art Blog

Thanks
    That´s great

I can imagine a lot of interesting projects going through his table, specially after the big succes of Pan´s Labyrinth, he would get to work his magic a lot more, and that is awesome.

Thanks

Del Toro is also rumoured to be interested in tackling Dr. Strange as his next movie after The Hobbit.
    Wow, thats great news. Dr. Strange is one of those characters that, I have to admit, I don't think would take well to being made into a live action movie. But with someone like Del Toro, I certainly have changed my expectations if it happens!
    Opinions and critiques always welcomed!

Thanks
    Hellboy YAY! Oh def can't wait.

Now if only Mignola would keep drawing the books.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyM View Post
    Wow, thats great news. Dr. Strange is one of those characters that, I have to admit, I don't think would take well to being made into a live action movie. But with someone like Del Toro, I certainly have changed my expectations if it happens!
    It really is a great pairing. I don't think it would work too well in anyone elses hands.

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t i m View Post

Now if only Mignola would keep drawing the books.
    Man, do I ever hear that. Hellboy was the comic that brought me back into comics. And it was mostly due to Mignola's artwork. The character and stories are fantastic. But man, his artwork just threw me for a loop. I couldn't get enough. Still can't. And I'd give anything to see him get back into sequentials again.

My Art Blog

Thanks
    If you get the time you might enjoy the production notes section at the Hellboy II site, which has just released a section that discusses del Toro's copious notes on some of the creatures and characters in the movie. Also, there's a cool maquette there of a three headed Cerberus type dog that Barlowe designed

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GusTheRobot View Post
    between this. batman and iron man. i'd say the summer's shapin up to be one kickass movie filled summer
    It's the superhero summer! YEAH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast