Link Portrait

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Link Portrait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Link Portrait

Ok, im literally at a loss on the background. im going for a basin-esque look for it and i cant seem to pull it off. any pointers? also, crits on Link himself would be nice. Butcher it to oblivion guys, thanks in advance =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aranthulas; April 4th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.
    "I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."

"That which is not just is not law."

My sketchbook, have a look =)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Link with a human face. I may be biased here, since I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan, but his facial structure looks like that of an older woman. But again, that could just be me. Overall, the composition is good. The legs, especially the one raised on the rock, seem a little on the short side, but it's not terribly too short. I want to see more of this along the way, so post some more of this picture.

▐▄ ▐▀ ▐▀▌ ▀█▀

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a good start! Love the lighting across Link's suit. I have to agree with Brat's opinion re: Link's face - I think the femininity is a result of the shape of the face being too round and soft. Men tend to have more angular faces so you might want to consider giving Link a sharper jaw. Darker shadowing across his cheek could help too, as at the moment it looks like he has a fat chin.
    It might also help to thin out his lips - at the moment they look a little 'pouty'.

Wish I could help with the background but it seems like a fine beginning to me. I suppose it depends what you mean when you say you're going for a 'basin' type look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good i think his arms look a bit too chunky though also his sword would reflect the colours around the scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the face is rendered nicely, but it isn't link's look (in my opinion)
    the arms are too short and so are the legs, you have him proportioned more like a dwarf right now, link is more tall,slender, and young

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to think about form, i.e.planes. It will all get better as you understand more about the body and learn to feel and communicate weight and form. You also need to be consistent- decide where the light is coming from and then make that light hit all the surfaces that it would hit. Use tonal pattern to explain form in space, which means watch out for cast shadows and use them with discretion. They can sometimes destroy the illusion.

This is an advanced assignment. Don't get discouraged. You can't run before you can walk. Why not figure out what you need to learn and do some simple exercises first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, will definitely take those into consideration. funny enough, i started picking up my oil paints in the middle of this and started doing exercises after being a tad frustrated with it. Maxine, i read your post on Color. Extremely helpful. i love this site.

"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."

"That which is not just is not law."

My sketchbook, have a look =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.