Sketchbook: The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)

Whitepython's Sketchbook

Hello! welcome to my Sketchbook

i think everybody always checks the first post on every sketchbook to learn a bit about the artist whos sketchbook they are about to browse, so, i want to make this post special, instead of letting people to browse page for page to check all of the art entries, im going to make a link directory on this post with all of the entries i have done, and talk about the things i have studied/done so far, so people commenting knows what i have tried, as well add my personal observations on what i am doing with the hope to find someone willing to debate them with me

Update List:

1. 14/October/2009
    2. 19/August/2009
    3. 12/August/2009
    4. 5/August/2009
    5. 30/July/2009
    6. 16/July/2009 - Second Post for same day
    7. 12th/December/2008
    8. Before Aphril 1st 2008

Books/Lessons i have done so far
    (last update Ago-12-2009)

Lessons:
    • 3 years of life drawing lessons
    • Drawing the human figure from your mind by Phoenix riven (5 dvd's)

Books:
    • Drawing on the right side of the brain by betty edwards
    • Figure drawing for all its worth by andrew loomis
    • Keys to drawing by berth dodson
    • Dynamic figure drawing by brune hogarth

for anatomy references i use:
    • The Figure in Action: Anatomy for Artists by Louse Gordon
    • Human Anatomy for artists by Andras Szunyoghy and Gyorgy Fehe

Online Resources:
    1. Visible Body - Online model, pretty useful to check muscles and bones, apparently its an anatomic correct one, since its used in the medical field
    2. Posemaniacs Old good posemaniacs

by the way, this is the original post i did for this sketchbook, im just keeping it on here:
    well, im kinda new around these parts, i did a post before some time ago and from all the art communities i have seen so far this one seems the most focused on critiques, so, im up to give it a try

all of the pictures i post here are the digital version of my sketchbook, all is the old good pencil on the old good paper unless stated otherwise

myself, i think i have a problem with proportions but maybe somebody in here can help me finding more i will try to scan and upload here as soon as i draw new things on my sketchbook to keep it up to date

and thanks for your time looking at my stuff and lot more of thanks for some feedback, positive or negative all is good old feedback!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by whitepython; October 14th, 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Updating!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here comes more, the last picture is a copy from madame "X" painting done by john singer sargent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update dec-12-2008

update for dec-12-2008

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

updating my sketchbook
    The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)
    The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)
    The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)The Snake Pit - Whitepython's sketchbook! (update Ago 19)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are two long studies i did in my first attempts to learn anatomy i put them separate because i dont want to destroy the forum's cell tables:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2610/musclesall.jpg
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/587...esbywhitep.jpg

Last edited by whitepython; August 13th, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those anatomy studies are good to learn whats there but not so much on how to represent them well in a drawing. It will definatly help since you draw what you know and if you know whats supposed to be there you wont leave it out.

I like Artistic Anatomy by Dr. Paul Richer and the Bridgman books, also Peck. When studying anatomy. There are of course more but these are pretty good.

Hale is really good for figure info as well.

Studying John singer Sargent is a great idea.

Keep it up

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazerzs View Post
    Those anatomy studies are good to learn whats there but not so much on how to represent them well in a drawing. It will definatly help since you draw what you know and if you know whats supposed to be there you wont leave it out.

I like Artistic Anatomy by Dr. Paul Richer and the Bridgman books, also Peck. When studying anatomy. There are of course more but these are pretty good.

Hale is really good for figure info as well.

Studying John singer Sargent is a great idea.

Keep it up
    one year later, a visitor!

thanks for your comments, im browsing amazon for those books!

bridgman has quiet a few books, any recomendation where to begin first?

peck and hale are too general and i cant find anything solid on amazon, perhaps can you share please their first names as well? thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep goin man. doing quick and rough gestural drawings will boost your confidence with your line, which will have infinite impact in your drawings!

keep your head down and keep charging mate!

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. I have a few pointers to toss at you right off:

1) Try studying some gesture drawings. If you'd like I can post a few links from youtube that I think are extra helpful in this aspect.

2) I would highly suggest doing some figure study; While your animals look great, your humans look like they need some work. www.posemaniacs.com
    Try doing heavy studies everyday from here: 3 - 5 pages daily from the 30 or 45 second pose drawings.

3) Loomis and Bridgman are a great start to grasping anatomy. Bridgman is the technical aspect, Loomis is the Faster way. I would learn both in and out before moving forward with your anatomy.

If you need help finding out which books you should start with, I will be glad to help.

I will come back later with more tips. Just tossing a quick few pointers while at work.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeegz View Post
    keep goin man. doing quick and rough gestural drawings will boost your confidence with your line, which will have infinite impact in your drawings!

keep your head down and keep charging mate!
    thank you! i will work more on posemaniac's quick sketching, actually i been doing 60 second poses for 1 hour, since i have 4 hours for art on my agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Matte_Art View Post
    Okay. I have a few pointers to toss at you right off:

1) Try studying some gesture drawings. If you'd like I can post a few links from youtube that I think are extra helpful in this aspect.

2) I would highly suggest doing some figure study; While your animals look great, your humans look like they need some work. www.posemaniacs.com
    Try doing heavy studies everyday from here: 3 - 5 pages daily from the 30 or 45 second pose drawings.

3) Loomis and Bridgman are a great start to grasping anatomy. Bridgman is the technical aspect, Loomis is the Faster way. I would learn both in and out before moving forward with your anatomy.

If you need help finding out which books you should start with, I will be glad to help.

I will come back later with more tips. Just tossing a quick few pointers while at work.
    thank you!

i have already loomis's figure drawing for all its worth, but im going to start to dig on Bridgman books and add them to my collection :> and yes any more tips you can add, ill recieve it gratefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Thanks for the note. Looks like you are continuing to make good progress. I'm attaching a bit of a picture with comments about your progress and some notes that I hope will help you. In case the text in the pic is hard to read, it goes like this:

In the first drawing you already have a pretty good grasp of the shape of the animal. It is clearly a fox.

Most of the drawing is medium gray with some blank white areas. The long sweeping strokes that make up
    the fur are probably too long. Most of the fur lines move in the right direction though.
    The legs and feet may be the area that could use the most improvement.

In the second drawing you've made a lot of progress with the value range. The face is much better. The
    eye looks great! It looks shiny and wet and smooth like it should. The black tips on the ears have a nice better
    value range. The ears would look more realistic with some messy unruly hairs inside them like in the pics
    below. It looks like you have started drawing some of the subtle hairs in the white area of the chin
    and chest which is good.

The fur on the back of the neck is a good length. It's short and fine and the angle is good. The fur on the
    body is finer and more delicate which is good but some of the strokes are still too long and the fur on the legs
    probably isn't pointing in the most believable direction.

The markings on the legs are better but the legs and feet are still a little over simplified. From the shoulders
    all the way to the toes, you are still figuring outhow the joints and muscles are arranged under the skin.
    The feet don't seem to have toes.

Here are some reference pics. They may not look like the pic you used but they probably have some similarities.
    Notice the lighter patches of hair above the eyes and at the rump? There are darker patches along the snout
    and at the shoulders. The dark leg markings can blend a little more gradually . The tail hairs are shorter and
    radiate outward more from the shaft of the tail.

You are getting better and better at identifying the little details that add up to a realistic drawing.
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Here are some redlines that might illustrate what I've been
    writing about

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiBug View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the note. Looks like you are continuing to make good progress. I'm attaching a bit of a picture with comments about your progress and some notes that I hope will help you. In case the text in the pic is hard to read, it goes like this:
    hey! thanks a lot fot this!

im a person quiet interesed on learning how to draw fur correctly and this has been a great tip for me! i need to keep on doing realistic/photograhy copies along with anatomy and sketching, so once more thanks a lot, im going to try to update this skechbook more often, i have spent too much time on drawing but none on getting feedback from what i draw, ill try to keep it updated every weekend or so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update!

some copies i did observating from pictures and the other ones are 60 seconds quick sketchings i been doing, i have a large pile i been practicing, but, i just picked up 4 at random to show up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! I think you should do more anatomy studies from artists like Bridgman, Loomis, and Hogarth. It'll really help you understand what it is you're drawing. Keep it up

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

august 5th update

re-working on loomis's book, i still feel im lacking "something" like, my head is blocked and im unable to see what im lacking here :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, one thing I notice right off, is the fact that your torsos seem overly large in comparison.
    Don't forget that the body is cut in half right about at the crotch area.

Keep doing these though. I'd suggest to hold your pencil differently, and make lighter strokes. You seem to be focused on pressing as hard as you can right now lol.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matte_Art View Post
    Well, one thing I notice right off, is the fact that your torsos seem overly large in comparison.
    Don't forget that the body is cut in half right about at the crotch area.

Keep doing these though. I'd suggest to hold your pencil differently, and make lighter strokes. You seem to be focused on pressing as hard as you can right now lol.
    thanks!

well, the hard lines stuff, has two explanations, one is that i dark on purpose the picture with the software that comes within the scanner the most possible to make it look and second is that, yeah i have that thing for pressing hard, my art teacher said it was related to graphology

anyway, today's update is here, after examinating myself and people with similar issues to mine in other sketchbooks and on the critique center, i think my *EXACT* problem is that i need to lean to draw the body in a more "cylinder/circle/squared" way, but one where i can keep the proportions right and keep the elements in a proper/logic order to create the effect of a solid object and not just something flat in the paper

like always, first 5 pictures are my studies, the last four are four random pages picked up from quick figure sketching on posemaniacs.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahha! you've taken a good step in the right direction.

Good job on concentrating more on proportions. At this stage you'll have to measure alot, its just the way it goes. Eventually you'll measure less but for now you need to keep reinforcing your brain.

So when drawing a figure , mark of how many heads high/wide. make sure the head is 5 eyes across ect , it takes time but you'll get it.

yes breaking down the figure into simple geometric shapes is a great idea. the cube/rectangle is the clearest to use since it is very clear to tell its direction and has clearly defined sides. Its also easier to divide into smaller cubes/rectangles.

the two authors i mentioned before were Robert Beverly Hale and Stephen Rogers Peck sorry,didn't have this thread bookmarked

I see you have the Phoenix riven dvd's, although a little boring, it would be good for you to watch and draw along with. It will help with the proportion stuff.

Keep it up!

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazerzs View Post
    ahha! you've taken a good step in the right direction.

Good job on concentrating more on proportions. At this stage you'll have to measure alot, its just the way it goes. Eventually you'll measure less but for now you need to keep reinforcing your brain.

So when drawing a figure , mark of how many heads high/wide. make sure the head is 5 eyes across ect , it takes time but you'll get it.

yes breaking down the figure into simple geometric shapes is a great idea. the cube/rectangle is the clearest to use since it is very clear to tell its direction and has clearly defined sides. Its also easier to divide into smaller cubes/rectangles.

the two authors i mentioned before were Robert Beverly Hale and Stephen Rogers Peck sorry,didn't have this thread bookmarked

I see you have the Phoenix riven dvd's, although a little boring, it would be good for you to watch and draw along with. It will help with the proportion stuff.

Keep it up!
    Thank you for commenting!

yes, the proption issues i figured them out by observating "successfully" artists works, i noticed that they are keeping a extremly similar proportions on their body masses on all their "heroic male" characters, and another smaller, but constant on their "slender female" characters and on, and in general, all artists seems to respect a general/rought propotion rule

i suppose this is when real life drawing comes in hand, so you can learn the natural propotion from mother nature herself, therefore making real life drawing very important

and yes, drawing while keeping the proptions in mind sucks a lot of time, or maybe its me because im a n00b

dividing the figure on smalle figures has worked nice for me too, i suppose its like henry ford said once:"no problem is particulary hard if you divide it into smaller parts"

and about phoenix riven dvd's yes, i have actually done 'em already, those large large files i have in my sketchbook about bones and muscles are the outcome of those, i made those bones from my mind, though, keeping an anatomy book as reference

and well, this is today's update, sorry i updated late but, this has been a busy week for me, i didnt made quick sketching drawings because i been busy with squirming around with proportions and trying to do 'em well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about the lack of updates, havent been in the best time of my life, so, i didnt uploaded anything, but i kept on drawing anyway

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.