W.I.P Dragon Illustration - having problems

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi everyone, this is an illustration Iíve been working on showing a dragon being hunted and brought down. I've been struggling mainly with the colour. I've chosen to have the scene largely backlit (but not totally silhouetted) at sundown. I would greatly appreciate any advice concerning the colour scheme, since Iím having really difficulty finding the right combination.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm well to be perfectly honest, this pic is pretty close to it's lighting scheme, as for tweaks maybe just start tightening up some edges. I was going to suggest some reflective light but it looks pretty good. Definitley add some rubble to were the dragon's head is crashing down. like the soldiers are bringing him down but there is also the ground breaking like chaos. lighting wise i dont think you need much though (maybe go get some picks at sundown jsut to doublecheck.)

well then Cheers! good luck with the rest of the painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far. I think your colour scheme is decent. Seems like you're going for a yellow-analogous, so you should consider dropping some red-violets or blue-violets into the shadows.

One thing though: for such a dynamic piece, the dragon's pose stiff and unnatural. all its legs are doing the same thing. like it was an injection-molded toy that fell over. think about what it was doing before it hit the ground.

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color-wise, it looks pretty much perfect. But you should make the dragon's pose be a bit more dynamic and add some rubble.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,168 Times in 1,710 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, this is a pretty great image. I think only the most important edges need to be crisped up, but also the texture of the ground plane and the mountains is pretty photoshop-mushy. Might want to reference them.

Also, reference a galloping horse for the front horse, it's a little wonky in the legs and the tail looks like it is made of wood.

good luck and nice job
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the thing i would darken the side of the dragon on the left, give it a bit more contrast..but other than that, everything has pretty much been said, nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors and the way the sunlight passes through the dragon's wing really pop for me and I think where I'd be picky is the way the dragon itself is falling. It's not totally clear to me whether the impact has broken its neck or if part of its head has buried itself in the ground so make that more clear. Also the foreground rider is aiming his bow at the man behind him which seems odd. His target is the dragon so maybe his arrow should be shown imbedded in the dragon's neck and the rider running to get out of the way of the falling dragon while still clutching his recently fired weapon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bow of the guy closest to us is in a weird conflict with the dragon. The tangent created from the bow and the back of the dragon's neck close to his head is bothering me, the string and bow also appear to be framing the light area on his back, creating a confusion between the highlight value on the back, string, and bow areas.

nice piece. your colors held up well, since that seemed to be one of your concerns. It's pretty damn dynamic as well.

Last edited by Quigleyer; April 2nd, 2008 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sky makes no sence to me, hers is a little paintover showing what i mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Besides what was said so far, I think a small detail would be the forearm of the bowman next to us. I think its too straight in its shape and the knuckle at his lower hand is too much lit so it appears a little flat. ... If you wanna be picky.
    Otherwise this is a truely impressive work - great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both way will work fine, but if it was my drawing I would extend the wing a bit closer to the neck, just so it looks more wing size to support his size.

Currently residing in Michigan, but I have Maine maple syrup running through my veins.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking pretty darn good. As previously mentioned, a pass to take care of some detail would really create areas of focus, helping to lead the eye around. The veins look great! I was also thinking that a little dust pass on the ground in front of the horses feet might be cool.

Intrepid explorer Spaceman Spiff lands on an uncharted planet. What strange wonders will he discover here?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.