Thanks

Aliens: I forgot how effing good this movie is

Trying to get inspired for a space-warrior themed project I'm working on and I filled my Netflix queue with some classic soldier sci-fi. And of course first on the list is Aliens...

Gorram I forgot how effing good this movie is. It's ridiculous! They just don't make stuff like this anymore.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    It's pretty much the best action sci fi movie of all time, despite having noobs like James Cameron, Syd Mead and Stan Winston working on it.

Thanks
    I wish I had some good image capture software for DVDs I want to make a bunch of "motivationals" and other meme-style tribute posters to show my love of Aliens.

Thanks
    Alien and Indiana Jones both share one thing: They contradict with the theory of trilogies being a bad thing. For me, those are the diamonds of Hollywood, as they have captured the best of their genres. They live up there in film heaven with their King, Blade Runner.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dubu View Post
    I wish I had some good image capture software for DVDs I want to make a bunch of "motivationals" and other meme-style tribute posters to show my love of Aliens.
    If you have Nero installed, Showtime will do screengrabs easily.

VLC is a bit fiddly to set up, but it will do grabs too, it also plays pretty much anything.
    www.videolan.org
    Last edited by Flake; April 1st, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    It's pretty much the best action sci fi movie of all time, despite having noobs like James Cameron, Syd Mead and Stan Winston working on it.
    lol...syd mead is no noob...
    but i'll say the aliens movies were better than the predator movies. the predator movies were never that good and always felt cheap. anyways, aliens is an awesome movie!

Thanks
    yes, tis a great movie. I was not aware that Syd worked on it. Cool. I just know that they decided not to use H. R. Geiger for some reason. Seems they did fine without him. The Queen was great. and pulse rifles!

I watch my movies with Media Player Classic as it is a simple program that doesn't have the bloat of most big name programs. It allows you to capture screen shots, and you can pause the movie and move one frame at a time to get the absolute best frame to take a snap of.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REGNIRUTH View Post
    lol...syd mead is no noob...
    but i'll say the aliens movies were better than the predator movies. the predator movies were never that good and always felt cheap. anyways, aliens is an awesome movie!
    cheaper,yes. i still love predator 2. it's exactly at the right level of cheesiness and violence. plus it has bill paxton in it (only human to ever be killed by alien,aswell as predator,aswell as terminator )

oh and DAMN,couldn't you change that avatar? it scares me everytime i see it. (mostly because i know what it is aswell)
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    cheaper,yes. i still love predator 2. it's exactly at the right level of cheesiness and violence. plus it has bill paxton in it (only human to ever be killed by alien,aswell as predator,aswell as terminator )

oh and DAMN,couldn't you change that avatar? it scares me everytime i see it. (mostly because i know what it is aswell)
    fear the dip!

but yeah, to me predator just never got the best attention it need. only good production was the game avp 2 for pc.

Thanks
    i rather fear his screeching voice and downright scary eyes
    avp2(the game) was perfect.
    now if only the movies where somewhere near that level...
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    ya aliens 1 and 3 were ridiculously great. i have no idea why it went downhill and that avp 1 and avp2 (especialy) had to be awful teen slasher movies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    ya aliens 1 and 3 were ridiculously great. i have no idea why it went downhill and that avp 1 and avp2 (especialy) had to be awful teen slasher movies.
    Well technically I was referring to the movie "Aliens" which is Alien 2. One was simply called "Alien" and 3 (which I thought was only OK) is called Alien 3. Four which is an abomination conceived (if Cameron is to be believed) out of Sigourney Weaver's "idiosyncrasies" which apparently included a desire for her character to make love to the alien.

The first Alien was ground breaking. James Cameron respected that and while he wanted to leave a mark on the franchise he didn't want to upstage Ridley Scott. In fact he went so far as to study Scott's technique to make sure that his film stylisticly inherited from the first.

Alien 3 on the other hand opens with a slap to the face of those who emotionally invested in the characters of the first movie. Before the opening credits have finished Alien 3 renders the achievements of the surviving characters from Aliens(aka Alien 2) irrelevant.

Alien Resurection (aka Alien 4) is a disaster in every respect. The story is beyond silly. You have a clone of Ripley somehow gleaned from the metal of a furnace hot enough to vaporize DNA. A clone that no less displays residual memories of it's former life. Then the film pisses on the the mythology of the first two films by supplanting the alien life-cycle with a sexual form of reproduction which results in a silly looking infant hybrid that elicits far more uncontrolled laughter from the audience than terror. Let's face it what makes the alien terrifying is that reproduction requires violence take that away and you've killed one of the coolest and most terrifying components of the story.

Next come the AVP films. The first further craps on the franchise mythos by deciding that alien incubation takes 5 or 10 minutes. I didn't see AVP2... as far as I was concerned... three strikes had been given. The series is officially out.

But yeah... "Aliens" aka Alien 2... might be one of the greatest sequels in the history of film.

Thanks
    sorry i'll have to disagree with you on alien 3 and 4. despite killing off the characters from aliens,3 was a very fresh take on the whole thing,and personally,i loved the ending.
    4 is "ok" to me,and although the incubation thing at the end severely took away from the terror,the newborn was pretty good to me actually,but only after watching the film more often and seeing the subtleties behind it. watching the documentary also helps i've gotta admit that i view this one as a film of its own though,not part of the whole series. it's more like something that could have been happening parallel to the trilogy.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Yeah I never understood why everyone treats 3 like the small ugly child, because it is actually a beautiful piece of art and with killing of the characters, they just sticked with the series' main aspect: Ellen Ripley. What would Hicks and Newt have done in the movie? Play family? God no. That would have been so wrong. They had to die so Ripley could play her game and personally, I love watching her play in that movie. Also, just one alien. I like that more than dozens of them in Aliens.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dubu View Post
    Trying to get inspired for a space-warrior themed project I'm working on and I filled my Netflix queue with some classic soldier sci-fi. And of course first on the list is Aliens...

Gorram I forgot how effing good this movie is. It's ridiculous! They just don't make stuff like this anymore.
    Actually, they do.