Comic/manga artist looking for guidance and suggestions

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Comic/manga artist looking for guidance and suggestions

Hello,

I知 an artist who has worked in and around comics for the last 8 years. I知 interested in altering my career path and pursuing work in the video game industry as a concept artist.

While I can find many parallels between various creative industries (in comics I知 often creating conceptual work, figuring out environments, sets, props, and developing character designs), I知 unsure if my background in creating comics and character-centric art has given me the best portfolio to pitch at the games market.

In short, I知 in real need of guidance from the working professionals on this forum. I知 no slouch, I知 open to reworking my portfolio from the ground up, but I need to know where to apply my efforts, so that I知 not just spinning my wheels, wasting time on work that won稚 be of interest to game companies.

Posted below are examples of the type of work that best constitutes what I知 capable of. I知 numbering them (the file names) so it痴 easy to mark what should stay and what should go.

Please let me know what you think. Am I ready to send my portfolio and resume around, or does it need more work?

--Jared Hodges
    www.jaredandlindsay.com

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by Quasimanga; March 31st, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Posting more examples

More examples of the type of work I have. Does any of this work in a 2d Concept Artist portfolio?

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!!! I'm not able to crit you because, well, I'm just not that good, but I really love your stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ink and toning are superb. I really wish I could do that well with black and white comics. As for critique, I'm annoyed that some of the manga-style facial feautures look pasted on the mice, instead of being part of their skulls/facial muscles. Also, it doesn't seem very professional (this, from an amateur ) to say that parts of your painting are unfinished because they formerly had characters in front of the background. I say it would be a better idea to either keep the BG and the FG on separate layers, or take the time to finish the BGs after you remove the characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is some really outstanding stuff! everything from the roughs to the inks to the color, lighting, and composition are terrific in my opinion.

My only comment would be that I think the first four drawings in the post (image 0008.jpg) are not as strong as all the rest of the images here. Personally I think the portfolio would be stronger with out them. Others may disagree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bearing in mind, this is the opinion of a non-professional (whose scraping together a portfolio for game design as well);

You might want to consider doing orthographic views for one of those characters.
    With your Manga experience, this should be no problem for you.

I think the img0008.jpg is good, but, I see what Psibug means. I think the close up of the Door/Gate with the Hand Monster is somehow a caliber less than the finished product and the two aerial sketches. And I think the aerial sketches would be vastly improved with some 30% gray shadows.

The characters in blue and green are problematic.
    In terms of presentation, you don't really need the accompanying thumbnails. It's not providing us with any additional information and only seem to be there to fill up negative space. They have portions of them that have a higher level of finish than the rest, giving us the impression of being half-finished, and really that's the last impression you want to give the person looking at your portfolio. (as an aside: this also applies to the environments, as Eminky said)

I think if you brought the extremities of the Blue one to the same level of finish as the her body or face, she would be a very nice addition.
    The design is appealing, the glasses and cherub face say 'mousy', the lace says 'kinky', and there's enough contradiction in that to grab my attention. The skin tone has a nice range to it, the red applied to her cheeks is expertly subtle to the point of seeming a healthy glow. Although she's staring at the camera; she has a more natural pose than the other girls who seem to be "posing for the camera". This is in part helped by bent knees, and her hand gesturing as though she was 'talking' with them (esp. her right hand).

Last edited by Zilant; April 1st, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan Juju View Post
    WOW!!!! I'm not able to crit you because, well, I'm just not that good, but I really love your stuff!
    Well thanks for the compliments. You know how it is with art; it just takes a lot of time and effort, right? Besides, I see from your sketchbook that you have some 3-D skills. That definitely gives you a leg up over me in the gaming world. Anyway, thanks. You were my first reply on the CA forms. :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by eminkey2003 View Post
    I'm annoyed that some of the manga-style facial feautures look pasted on the mice, instead of being part of their skulls/facial muscles.
    That is a very interesting point, and something I never thought of coming for my background. Quite commonly, manga expression takes things to some pretty bizarre extremes, in the same way old American cartoons would have hearts, eyeballs, etc. exploding out of the characters body to show some exaggerated expression. I've never thought about the practicality of that when it comes to the world of 3-D modeling. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that when I'm composing a new portfolio.

Also, it doesn't seem very professional (this, from an amateur ) to say that parts of your painting are unfinished because they formerly had characters in front of the background. I say it would be a better idea to either keep the BG and the FG on separate layers, or take the time to finish the BGs after you remove the characters.
    Ah! You're absolutely right. The descriptor I put on that page of art sounds like an excuse. Usually, when people start off by excusing their artwork they know they haven't done a good enough job. I'm pretty sure I have at least four examples of fully rendered backgrounds minus character art. Perhaps I should replace out the incomplete ones with those, or do as you suggested and show both the background and foreground elements.

Thank you for your advice. It was eye-opening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As someone who's only very recently started working in illustration and conceptual art, I can tell you the things that have gotten the biggest response for me. Realism and drama.

Your pictures are great, there's no doubt about it. But when showcasing your work, you want to show certain types of pieces. I would say that for your characters, try to draw them more realistically. You don't need to abondon your manga style all together, but perhaps blend it with a little photorealism for some really eye catching pieces.

The other thing is drama. As great as your environments look, you can never make them look too dramatic. Throw in a thunderstorm with a sunset in the background and pink neon lights in the foreground, or a blizzard with a volcano erupting in the back. I 've found that, no matter how over the top I may think a picture seems, it's those types of images that get the heaviest reponse.

I myself actually like very subtle images, but those images won't get you jobs. People like images with a lot of texture, mood, and drama. Everything should be a powerful image. I think your sketches are great and very thorough, but I wouldn't put them ahead of of any finished colored pics. They should be just be a side dish, with all the big, colored images as the main course.

My Website...
    www.keithwhalenart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to much detail...everywhere. try looking at the biger picture, a comic is suposed to be readable u know =P

though im not really fond of the manga style some pieces are really good and have great potential.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is good but I can see improvement.
    Critique. It looks like this stuff was ripped out of a how to draw manga book. Unless you where the author. It really seems as if you haven't mastered your style yet. Like Lotet said way to much details. I would tone it down just a bit. I look at some the figure of the blue and green and they seem too dimensional for anime eyes. Aswell as the coloring itself like this. Also the ones with the blue and pink bg shows you need to now how cloth folds, they dont look belivable at all. And the lighting makes it look like they're wearing rubber. As if everything is made of the same material.

I would suggest you pick up on anatomy and figure drawing classes and tweak into your own style. And just study, study, study. I will leave with a qoute from a manga artist. LeSean Thomas.

Believe me when i tell you any pro influenced by anime and manga worth their weight in skills will agree that the anime/cartoony shit is just icing. Know the rules, THEN break them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The paintings are bad ass ! but I think the facial expression looks a little quirky on some of them.
    Also I thought the picture with the guy in mid air came right out of Ghost in The Shell at first glance, very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say the biggest problem in general is that your faces don't quite fit the bodies, almost like you're using two completely separate styles. Also number 12 looks very unprofessional. Either get rid of it or finish all the extremities.

Sketchbook group: MoHog Stimulus 626elemental

Members who have read this thread: 1