Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    ewing - Thank you! I will spend more time on my drawings. I need to do finished work as well as studies, and I'm sure it can be done by pushing each life drawing further than the last.

JailHouseRock2 - I like that page quite a lot as well, I'm really pleased when I see it.

Okay. I want you to know that these are not my lines. My illustration teacher drew over my drawing with them. Next year, I will pick. his. brain. for these lines.
    Attachment 544779

Now for some more recent stuff.
    Attachment 544784Attachment 544788
    Attachment 544789Attachment 544790
    Attachment 544791
    Attachment 544792Attachment 544794
    Attachment 544795

I'm finally getting back to watercolour!
    I did this one for Shadow of the Colossus, painting from the screen.
    Attachment 544796

I was in Coromandel for the day, and painted from life.
    Attachment 544798Attachment 544799

Visiting my old watercolour class again.. I was going to finish this.. *sigh*
    Attachment 544800

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Imaginary - thanks dude, I love life drawing!

coffee shop stuff
    Attachment 546073Attachment 546074

studies, and an example of why I need to study anatomy more
    Attachment 546071Attachment 546057

drew most of this today. It feels really good to draw and update in the same day.. hm
    Attachment 546078Attachment 546087
    Attachment 546082

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    great looking lines, and i'm loving all of those hands.
    HANDS GAH I NEED PRACTICE WITH THOSE.

thanks for the help in my sketchbook.
    you really made me wanna think twice about my angry file titles. xDD

Thanks
    keep practising them aquarells, its worth it!

Thanks
    Hey, you have some nice watercolor landscapes. I can see you getting more deeply involved with your drawings as the sketchbook goes on. You mentioned that you like the rhythm of one of my drawings. Finding that rhythm is the result of making every line worth looking at for it's own sake, and not just for the sake of the larger picture. Drawings tend to come out well when you let the lines take over rather than trying to force the lines into the drawing. Hope that makes any sense. This drawing seems to have more of what I am talking about, and so do your other most recent drawings. Hands are tough, but yours are turning out nicely, and really getting some personality in them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Was gonna mention the lines but Linzoy said it better, I like the pen and water colour stuff, keep working hard man!

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day
    Thanks
    missing updates man

gotta keep working hard
    most of those sketches are really great and i love the water color ones!

Thanks
    Hello again, I've been away for a while, with no Internet access.. kind of healthy actually, haha. Going swimming everyday, eating fruit, drinking coffee and wine, drawing and playing games. Fantastic!

a la bapsi, I haven't been doing much of my hands lately.. that needs to change

Kfeeras - thanks man

Linzoy, thank you so much for your explanation about the lines, I really appreciate it! It does make sense to me. I need to let the lines flow and not strangle them too much. Also thanks for the complients.

paperX - thanks dude.

Hygami, here's one! Thanks for your compliments.
    _____________________- [transmission 0298176]-______________________
    old stuff, starting off with some watercolours
    Left: from imagination. I was critiqued on it: it is bad to use stripes (the two rectangular shapes); looks too boxed.
    Right: experimenting, on cartridge paper. It's amazing what happens when you forget to bring your watercolour paper. Maybe I should run low on resources more often.
    Attachment 584104Attachment 584105
    Left: observation from memory, should finish some time.
    Right: Post-Apocalyptic one, survivor's communications tower still stands. Defend against the zombies.
    Attachment 584106Attachment 584098

Now for the sketches.
    Attachment 584109Attachment 584110Attachment 584111Attachment 584112
    Drawing things on the beach.
    Attachment 584113

I love this one!
    Attachment 584114

Thanks
    Making another post, want to keep it separate 'cause I don't want to lose my attachments. The attachment manager is a lot to deal with.
    Attachment 584115Attachment 584116
    Attachment 584117Attachment 584119
    Attachment 584121Attachment 584120
    Attachment 584123Attachment 584125
    Attachment 584126Attachment 584124

Some idea popped into my mind. Will finish later.
    Attachment 584127
    hahaha
    Attachment 584128
    Attachment 584129Attachment 584130
    Attachment 584132Attachment 584131

Okay, enough of the old crap.
    Not that my newer stuff is different. But I did buy a Moleskine, yay!!
    Attachment 584133Attachment 584135

Thanks
    I thought I should post some photos of my exhibition at Whitecliffe which kept me from updating for one of the many weeks when I got back from the Wellington. It's old, but I've been wanting to post it for a while and I'll just post a couple things instead of eight or sixteeen tentacles, etc.

Attachment 587738
    Attachment 587740

I think these are kind of gestures I guess?
    Attachment 587743
    Attachment 587751
    Attachment 587753

I spilt my coffee on my page. Really sucked. Such a waste of coffee.
    Attachment 587755

I couldn't be bothered wasting space in this sketchbook with the life drawings I did, but just couldn't help it with this one.
    Attachment 587759

The Lantern Festival in Auckland was beautiful. Can't wait for next year. I think I'll capture the beauty more accurately next time.
    Attachment 587762

Thanks
    Just gonna post a few fairly recent things before I head off to life drawing, will probably post some more stuff when I get back.. not likely the life drawings though, sort of need to take photos in natural light. Darn, why don't I get a scanner

drawing on the bus, blind contours of a treee, and some mirror drawings of my arm last week.. stop posting old work dammit max lol
    Attachment 596260Attachment 596261Attachment 596262Attachment 596263

Thanks
    Okay, got back from life drawing. Thar was fun, will post the stuff I did tomorrow. For now though, some stuff from last week. Yes, I suck like that

Sometimes life drawing models are in fact monsters (I'm so mean)
    Attachment 596482Attachment 596481

Attachment 596483Attachment 596485

Attachment 596487Attachment 596491

Should draw more ctas
    Attachment 596492Attachment 596489

I got lazy, and wasted space in my Moley with that laziness. I've actually gone through half my moleskin already
    Attachment 596493Attachment 596495

I had some fun on Waiheke Island
    Attachment 596496

I was inspired by an image by sparth, not finished yet
    Attachment 596497

Thanks
    values and lines are looking better man, would be nice if you upped the levels a bit in photoshop though...or just get a scanner

really like this one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to paperX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Max, long time no see.

You've improved a ton since I checked last, keep up with those life drawings, Remember, life drawing doesn't have to be from the things you see around you when you're outside, it can be when you're sat there, right now, your hand. That's life drawing.

Watch those lines as well, you seem to be relying too much on ultra fast movements and lines to get your gestures down, try slowing down a little, getting the feel for the pose or object first, then dive into the details.

Still, looking better. Keep it up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Hi Max,
    Life drawing looks heaps better and you seem to be working hard on your line work as well. Really like how you seem to study just about any thing you see, which is great as you'll build up a mental library of things and people.
    Though I would like to see you try and really finish a drawing, you did an awesome sketch at the Lantern Festival which showed some great values and lines, so a more finished one like that would be great to see.

just keep on drawing mate.")
    cheers,
    matt
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Getting better and better man, lots of drawings from life, which is good, i'm not seeing a lot of anatomy studies and such though, which could be a useful complement to the life stuff. Hmm... In a way your the opposite of me. lol

Anyway, maybe you are doing those kinda studies but not posting em, just thought i should mention it. Keep drawing for ever and ever and ev... you get the point!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice sketches and studies! i notice that you do a lot of hand studies using your own hand as reference, careful not to do the same pose over and over again, you can use a mirror to have a large variety of view points =) keep it up
    Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Call0ps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you are good but you need more practice I like your studying hands .
    greeting
    Last edited by mohd al mahdi; February 21st, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    good luck
    good bye
    Last edited by mohd al mahdi; February 21st, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    partially you've got some absolutley beautiful lines and compositions going on,
    stuff like this amazes me:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1233808173
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1229767388
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1233808173
    heartbreaking beautiful searching/insecure lines and cool compositons
    also that abstract greenish/white composition

Maybe it's a matter of taste and maybe I should shut up, but some of your sketchbookpages don't work at all for me, mainly because you didn't use design or composition and because you don't get the best out of them when you present them here.. some examples:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1233808940
    the picture as a whole are 3 separated doodles, no unity, all seems random
    again, randomly placed doodles and stains
    the other picture with the coffestain is nice thought because the stain looks like it's supposed to be there. Don't forget compositions, even if you just doodle.
    Many sketches, mostly the watercolor sketches are also cool but suffer from bad cropping - if you make photos, it looks best if you either show the sketchbook in it's surrounding so that it's visibly a sketchbook or that you cut out all fingers and dark backgrounds - otherwise these just will go into the composition and they begin to distract. I starred waaaay too long at that thing in the corner untill I noticed that it's a finger.. I think I looked longer at the finger than at the beautiful tree.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks

weatherstorm

Hallo, no update for several weeks. Buckets of sketches to post as a result
    I need to update more frequently and with less loads, so as to not use so much of yourbandwidth
    Although you can pres Esc to stop the page from loading, scroll down to the bottom and click the the number on the right side to 'view single post' etc

This update is almost gargantuan, so the spellcheck thing is kind of out of the question. I corrected myself where possible, while there are areas where I didn't take anything seriously. Go nuts.

paperX - I like that drawing, too. I should do more of just focusing on one area and doing a better job, because when I try to draw the whole figure in a short space of time I rush, but I also rush when I have a lot of time so I can render stuff. We're doing quick things at school though (down below).

We got a sort of 'free' Brother all-in-one scanner thing recently, and I got the scanner working, but all the scans come out way too bright, and I can't figure out how to lower the brightness.

Smoke, long time no see indeed! Thanks, I do rush my gestures a lot. I feel pretty insecure about the people I'm drawing getting uncomfortable and stuff, plus needing to get them down on paprt before they move again. I know drawing my own hands and things is life drawing, silly.

JailHouseRock - yo, dawg!
    yea, I think it's important to not restrict yourself to what you're used to drawing, or having a "this is stuff to draw, but other things aren't things to draw" kind of mindset. I draw anythng that catches my eye. See the original post of the quote in my signature for more (click the blue square). M.C.Barret's mind is awesome. To be honest, I'm more interested in specializing in Environments and Industrial Design than characters. But characters are fun, and I feel I need to be at least be able to draw them. It's not like I want to become as good as Marko, lol

And yeah, you're totally right about the need to do more finished stuff. Come to our sketchmeet this weekend! Aotea Square, around 4pm. Going to see Watchmen! Don't be late though.

Imaginary - you're too right, man. I don't study anatomy anymore, and I really need to. Although around the time I read that post, I had been thinking about it myself, and I have some some since then. I met Lukias and he said he thinks it's not actually necessary to study the underlying anatomy, unless you want to draw the skeleton, and that a lot of life drawing would be good enough. As if the 1000 or so hours you spend on anatomy studies could be better spent of life drawing. Thing is, it's hard to get more than one class per week (well, I have it at school, but now untutored life drawing is off for a while). It's no excuse though. If you really want it, you will draw yourself in the mirror (I've studied anatomy and mechanics of shoulders in the mirror).

But, as I study Bridgman, I find myself referencing back to Da Vinci's detailed anatomy studies just so I can get an idea of what Bridgman is going on about. Without knowledge of that, I'm lost in studying Bridgman. And Bridgman has a great way of thinking of the human form, so... I think it's about balance. But lots of life drawing is important; i.e. the moar the bettarr :3

Call0ps - thanks for dropping by mate! It's an honor to have a post from you. I haven't been studying my hands from mirrors much at all, I do tend to stick to what's in front of me.. but I will start studying using a mirror. I actually have two now, so and direction is possible

mohd al mahdi - haha, thanks.. second post is kinda wierd though :/

Kiera, hey! Kiera! Thanks for dropping by. Those compliments are the kindest I could have! Funny you posted that blind contour twice, you must really love it

Thanks also for your crit, which was excellent and like the exact opposite of your compliment, haha! It was also a really funny crit, like:
    Maybe it's a matter of taste and maybe I should shut up
    lol!
    On a serious note though, that's a great point. I'm in real gratitude for it. I've started drawing from the center of the page outwards. I really like Wes Burt's compositions, like this one. Actually I find a lot of his work facsinating. The way he composes his images, and the multiple faces thing, along with his subject matter. It all seems so personal, and meaningful.

Thanks also for your advice on the way I take photos, I excluded my fingers as much as possible.

OK, I'll kick it off with some colour. This is a watercolour I did for a workshop at school. It was mostly me going crazy on an experiment to play with wet on wet and be open to anything that would come out of it. I think it's important to keep an open mind with watercolour, and any art in general. Watercolour is hard to control, which I think is a good thing because it makes fun of you! It's like you're collaborating with the medium and just playing to make something fun. Let the piece make itself kind of thing

I've got quite a few more, but they're hung on a wall at school. I'll post everything when I get them back!
    Attachment 608583

I guess this life drawing is kinda old now.. but it's in my sketchbook folder so I'll post it.. I wonder where the rest went :/
    Attachment 608585

ok, on with the school stuff from yesteryea...day. yesterday. yes.
    Earlier Mitchello said to draw the figure from the inside out, and this class was all about that. Studying the mechanical workings of the figure and the rhythm, and with form being not so important. You'll only see this in some of the drawings becuase I'm inconsistent and stuff lol. Mitchello talked about drawing the form from the inside out, and recently I thought that could be done with something Texahol suggested I do while on IRC; "do a life drawing, without any lines. Only draw tones." I think drawing like this could give a really good feeling for form.
    Attachment 608586Attachment 608590
    Attachment 608594Attachment 608597
    Attachment 608599Attachment 608600
    Attachment 608602Attachment 608603

Sorry about these ones. We were instructed to use 2B. On newsprint. wtf..
    Attachment 608607Attachment 608615
    Attachment 608617Attachment 608619
    Attachment 608623Attachment 608624
    Attachment 608625Attachment 608626

And that's it for the schoolie woolies. I hope it wasn't too paintful on you/yourbadnwidth. Here's the next wave of critters.

I thought this was one of the moer intersting gestures.. not sure. I think that Whitecliffe abstract stuff is getting to me, lol. I find certain scribbles interesting while others are ugly wugly. Scribbles are not just messy things! Well it depends. and I think my rhythm is better now that I've done abstract stuff. okay, shut up monoaee noe now max. I'm not drunk I portmise
    Attachment 608627

I found this branch-with-leaves-type-of-like-thing intersting. must turn it into an epic architectural stucture!
    Attachment 608628
    Attachment 608629
    Attachment 608631Attachment 608632
    Attachment 608633Attachment 608636
    Attachment 608637Attachment 608639
    Attachment 608642Attachment 608643
    Attachment 608645

Here's a character that started out as a silly quick sketch I did while inspired by some cool upbeat cohesive electronic game music, which has now evolved into and even sillier-not-finished-but-about-as-far-as-I-can-be-bothered-to-take-it kind of level.. thing, lol. I hope you could read that, excuse my english is terrible despite being my only language and I don't take anything seriously.
    Crits more than welcome though, of course.
    Attachment 608647
    Last edited by Max Challie; March 11th, 2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: removed signature

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day
    Thanks
    thats a hellofalota studies going on here, really inspiring!!

but one thing, try to really use what you've learned, the last character is lacking aconvicing definiton, but I really like where this sketchbook is going! keep post!!!

Thanks
    Great workethic dude.

My advice would be don't be afraid to contruct things very simply to begin with because it's much easier to see the proportions of simpler shapes rather than detailed ones and spend most of the drawing time getting the simple shapes down before breaking them apart with detail.

Good luck dude, awesome hanging out in NZ with you bro

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Evil_Sloth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Image > Adjustments> Levels is your friend max

some of those swooshy lines you're using looks good, just dont be afraid to draw bigger man...use your elbows and put down those strokes! if you're drawing on big paper then draw big!

but yeah with rendering and values, no point laying down alot of midtones if you're not gonna accentuate the darks and highlights, it will just end up being a waste of lead

hope that didn't come off as too harsh or something...I dont really know what im thinking half the time at 3am...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to paperX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're coming along, man. Keep doing all the right stuff and you'll get where you want to be in no time at all. The gestures and life drawings are totally where it's at. Learn more anatomy and study the planes of the structures that you're drawing to really get the full understanding of how they're create and rendered. You seem to be pumping out a lot so I'm sure you'll get there in time. Keep at it!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, so many studies, and some of your stuff is showing some really great loose lines. Your stuff from imagination, however, seems to have some form\construction problems so that's something you should keep on studying.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to pantless_wanderer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    huhu

thank you for stopping by my sb.

first
    WOW so much stuff
    I'm speechless
    I liked your very hand studies

make them so I will stay well tuned...

have fun

gliederpuppe

Thanks
    Hygami - thanks, I do need to study more and apply the studies.

Evil_Sloth, I have a great work ethic? Aww, thanks man! You're too kind.
    I do tend to get too sucked into detail. At my figurative drawing class yesterday, I learned to draw the direction of the features using simple, straight lines which grab the proportions, then go into detail. I usually follow the line of a figure with a detailed contour, often accentuating the features and losing all strucure. Now that will change!
    It was cool hanging out with you in Wellington, thanks for the look through your sketchbook! Hope to see you again some time.

paperX - I tried the scanner again, couldn't make it work though. I'm not afraid to fill the whole page, it's just a habit to draw small, and I'm not very close to the model. But, when I do, I feel like I learn a lot more. The next update will have some larger drawings; I couldn't get them in this time. And I do find that it's a pointless to lay down midtones without going darker. The drawing will look as flat as it did without any shading. Darker tones create depth, but must be worked up to in time. I'm good with the gestures at 3-5-10 minutes, but when it comes to longer drawings, I tend to panic and rush at the beginning for some reason, as if I think I don't have enough time. Or I try to render the whole figure, and end up with one bland midtone. that drawing you said you liked is the result of focusing on one area, and learning about form, I think. Rendering seems to increase my understanding of form. So, that's what I'll do. When I render stuff, focus on one area and take it very far.

Don't worry about being polite etc. I dislike all the political correctness these days. We should be able to say what we need to clearly, without having to worry if people will be offended. If people get offended, it's their problem. It rarely depends on what the speaker says, people take offense because of their mindset and/or current state of mind. Be harsh. Be blunt. Say what you need to clearly.

"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." - Confucius

It's up to you.

Zebz - thank you very much! I don't study anatomy enough though, hardly ever. What do you mean by planes?

pantless_wanderer - yeah, I definitely have problems with structure and proportion. That coupled with lack of anatomy knowledge means not being able to draw from imagination most of the time. Usually when something comes from my imagination, the drawing grows by itself, starting out with abstract lines.

Gliederpuppe - Thanks! I don't study my hands anymore.. something else I really need to do.

Here's some school stuff and a life drawing from sketchmeeting.. was a great meet! :d
    I should probably go over the lines on the photocopied one, no?
    Last edited by Max Challie; March 11th, 2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: removed signature

Thanks
    I dunno but it feels like you've improved quite a bit in this latest post compered to the one before. Values are better and the lines look more confident even though the updates are only a couple of days apart.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast