Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

big dl [23/4/12]-\ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ /-

hello

The latest things are on the last page of course. I removed the old art in this post because it gets in the way when changing thread thumbnail.

useful watercolour guide
    Last edited by Max Challie; November 10th, 2012 at 07:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 643 Posts
    Hey there nikce hand studies and first image is really cool can't really say much until you update more although your other painting were pretty nice but need to see some more work good luck

Thanks
    Advice I was given - Do three studies from ref, fast. Then do those same three without looking at the ref, or the ones you just drew. Do this until you can do it perfectly. Then move on.

Nice start, put some more up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I studied from Brigman a little. Sorry about the blurryness on these, and the brown.
    Attachment 334395 Attachment 372920
    Attachment 334396

First three from reference.
    Attachment 334399

Second three without it. I feel happy with the third one.
    Attachment 334400
    Last edited by Max Challie; May 20th, 2008 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks
    Here's another, 'from reference'. It was supposed to be from reference, but I sort of forgot about it, drawing from memory in some places. I remembered it sometimes, but the result isn't good. You experts will be able to point out where I was focused though, I'm sure.

Attachment 336661

I thought it would improve as I went on, but it just got worse and the results are too bad to post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Hey Max

Good to see you've finally started an SB.

You will learn a lot by doing regular hand studies.
    Personally, I've found it much easier to draw hands once I've become familiar with the anatomic and technical details, because the hand is a complex subject.

Once you get to know these details, all you will need is a reference of teh gesture; the form can be filled in using your knowledge.

Most importantly, just draw your own hand a lot.
    There's no excuse for an artist to draw bad hands.

Keep working hard and keep updating.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, thanks man.

I've just been drawing that same Bridgman hand pose, without reference. I kept ending up with the same blocky, non-hand looking thing even when I started in difference places, so I just put fluent lines down (from the top), then drew the rest, and it came out differently. I've mostly been putting down the blocks, getting the form, learning how it works and why those lines are there. I used to be so puzzled by it, but now I'm getting closer to a good understanding.

The first few pics I posted are my right hand, and I think I should go back to drawing it. Would my skills drawing a left hand suffer? Drawing my left hand holding the pencil in my right would produce some funny stuff.

It feels so good to have started a sketchbook, helping people in the critique center, and finally working hard. It feels just as good as it is rewarding, especially after all the months of lazyness and Loungewhoring. Sorry about the double post in your SB by the way, I deleted the first one.
    Last edited by Max Challie; December 20th, 2008 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks
    Nice studies you've got there. And about drawing a left hand: why dont you draw somenone elses left hand?
    keep posting!

Would he walk upon the water If he couldnt walk away?
    And would you, Would you carry the torch for me?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    You will learn a lot by doing regular hand studies.

Most importantly, just draw your own hand a lot.
    Should I upload them here, or just make it a habit and post the best ones?

There's no excuse for an artist to draw bad hands.
    Have I drawn bad ones so far?

Evergrey - Hey, thanks.

Here's two that I know are bad, but I want to talk about them. I drew from my own hand - I was still on the Bridgman hand pose and thought about drawing my own hand to try something different.

This looks like it's taken from a basic side-on point of view, rather than the more dynamic camera angle like that of the Bridgman pose which I was aiming for. As I got down to the thumb I thought it was far out of place from the other side, far from where it should be. But on reflection, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Still not perfect, of course.
    Attachment 349476

This one has a long deformity that reminds me of the original Nosferatu vampire. By the end of this (that's giving up on, not finishing), I realized that it had at least something to do with me focusing on the outline. I read somewhere (in an ImagineFX magazine or somewhere on here) not to imagine the form as an outline.
    Attachment 349478

I feel that I get too sucked in when I draw, and should step back frequently to see how it's going, and take a relaxed approach. I also feel that I'm hasty, and should slow down. Do you agree?

Also, is there a certain standard as to what I should post in my SB?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    An answer to your recent post on my SB about shading.

My rendering on that particular piece is not a good example, but no, shadows under normal circumstances do not get darker the further away from the light source.

http://www.huevaluechroma.com/021.php
    You may see for yourself here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another Bridgman thing.. can't remember if it was from reference or not.
    Attachment 350737

Another draw my own hand pose thing from yesterday. Fugly wrist.
    Attachment 350739

Also drawing my own gand. I mean hand. It came out blurry like every one of my ultra-close-up-without-the-right-setting photos do, so I resized it to what seems to be the original size. Small, unlike this paragraph in comparison to the previous three.
    Attachment 350740
    Last edited by Max Challie; May 19th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    This one is from a photo. I shouldn't have messed with the arm so much, rendering came out bad.
    Attachment 356675 Attachment 356676

I must be boring you with hand studies, so here's something to mix it up. I can't believe how badly her face came out. Perhaps it's time to start stuying faces. I never could draw them well, and often gave up when I started failing.
    Attachment 356677
    Last edited by Max Challie; May 19th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    hey, is this the max i met in auckland a little while ago? i'm tom/fish_cakes/jesus???

good to see you doing studies just be sure when you are copying bridgeman and stuff that you are trying to understand what the lines are communicating and the form they describe, not just the lines. Always think in three dimensions when you draw.

Its really good to see you are analyzing your drawings when you see something is wrong. keep it up man, you are definitely on the right track

I'll be back!
    - book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Tom, yeah it's me. I was planning on dropping by your sketchbook a little while ago, then got caught up in things. I've been thinking of setting out a rule for myself when I draw from Bridgman - only copy the line down if I know why it's there. There was one drawing where I put lines down just to copy them, then found out it's the thigh in the background. That's when it came to me, and I'll start from now on.

I've always struggled with sizes, my drawings keep coming out the same size as the object I'm drawing, I haven't been able to modify the size. Is this normal?

Thank you so much for the crits Tom, and for stopping by. :)

Attachment 369292
    The best of my production from 4 days at the Baltic Sea. There could be more though, I'll have a look in my book.

I was on the plane on my way over to Rome, and just drew my hand a few times. It's funny how I managed to draw my hand in such a small size.
    Attachment 369286 Attachment 369287 Attachment 369288 Attachment 369304

I was at a restaurant and noticed the waiter had an unique nose. Had no paper with me but skin can be drawn on.
    Attachment 369305 Attachment 369307 Attachment 369306
    I couldn't draw it from the front well, which is a pose I struggle with in general.

Life drawing last night. I saw the toilet paper roll in Dan's sketchbook, and felt inspired to do one. I got involved in my rendering and stopped looking at it for a while, which could have had something to do with how close it is, but I need to open my mind on this. The photo is taken from the position I was drawing it at.
    Attachment 369371 Attachment 369372

I'm finally starting to really enjoy drawing, now I can do it more.
    Last edited by Max Challie; May 20th, 2008 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks
    Nice studies mate. It's good that you're enjoying the process. Try to get the Andrew Loomis books too to study from and just keep working hard. I'll drop by now and then to see if you're doing your homework.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast